Barnes LRX 270 load too hot or not?

rkite

I just started reloading and purchased a box of Barnes LRX 129 grain bullets for my 270. My gun is a post 64 push feed Winchester model 70 featherlight with a 22" barrel. My load is 58 grains of RL-22 and I seated the bullets to a OAL of 3.340. In the Lee manual 60 grains is considered the max load for 130 grain bullets. In other manuals I have 58 is stated as the max. When I shoot the reload the point of impact is 1.5" higher at 100 yards than factory Winchester Supreme 130 grain ammo with ballistic silver tips. The bolt lifts normal and the primers are not flattened.

There is not much load data specific to lead free bullets but I've read warnings that they raise pressure due to being physically longer and having a longer bearing surface than a lead core bullet.

Do you guys think that I should back it down a grain to 57? It groups a bit better than the factory ammunition and cycles fine but the point of impact is 1.5" higher making me think it maybe a little too hot.

If you aren't getting pressure signs and getting the accuracy you want run it. I wouldn't worry about POI since any bullet will likely shoot different.

I've been using Barnes since 1992, and there was concern with the first X bullet and pressures.

The TSX and T-TSX have the rings around them which actually is supposed to reduce pressures, due to reduced bearing surface of the bullet.

I have used RL-22 in my 270 with the 130 TSX, and my load was quite a bit higher than yours, generating 3,200fps with no pressure signs, at all.

I got horizontal stringing with that powder, which I could not cure, and switched to H4831sc.

Thanks all,

It would be interesting to see how much velocity this load makes. I measured the brass and it is not stretching.

Back