New build: .556 barrel under $200?

moonshine44

I'm building another AR in .223/.556 (because I can), and I've got all of the parts ordered except the barrel. I know this is pretty subjective because everybody has different experiences with different barrels, but let's give this a shot (so to speak), shall we? Here are my criteria:

In my hands for $200 or less, including shipping.

Either Wylde or .556 chamber.

16", either threaded or target crown. I'm actually kind of partial to target crowned barrels, but threaded are okay too.

Standard to light profile.

.750" gas block.

Midlength gas system.

Here's the big one: good accuracy with 50 to 55 grain bullets. I load mostly V-Max and some FMJ in that weight range. 1x8 twist? I don't expect one hole groups at 200 yards but under 1 MOA would be cool. Again, I know this is pretty subjective and depends a lot on technique, but this rifle will have a RR National Match trigger in it and I'm managed some pretty nice groups off of sandbags with my other AR's, and minute of ground squirrel out beyond 150 yards shooting over the hood of a pickup without sandbags with my 6x45.

There you have it, folks. Am I being too picky for this price point? Thanks for any input you can give.

Thanks for your comments, folks. After spending what was probably way too much time on the Interweb researching, I decided to go with the White Oak SPR. Looking forward to putting this one together!

Originally Posted By: Willy BrotzLarue stealth and pradatAR barrels in 5.56 are $169. Add $20 for m4 feed ramps. Seems like a good deal.

I couldnt resist I snagged one of these.

Black Hole Weaponry (Columbia river arms) is doing 30% off build your own barrels until the 30th of Nov. I bought two 10.5" pistol barrels in 5.56 and 6.8 for $196 each. I'd be certain the rifle/carbine barrels are no more expensive in 5.56. I have built on a bunch of BHW barrels for myself and others, over a dozen I readily recall, and they all shoot sub-moa, even with cheap UMC 55grn FMJ and 50 JHP, and they run 50vmax's over 27.3grn Varget like a house on fire.

Thanks again, folks. The WOA SPR barrel should be here tomorrow, according to the tracking. Varminterror, I've got two BHW barrels, a 6x45 and a .264 LBC, and both shoot lights out, but I decided I didn't want to wait the build time.

I looked at Faxon as well, but as I said, after way too much time researching decided to try out WOA.

Thanks!

Bought a Wilson close out at JSE surplus aomth ago for a budget build for my truck. Paid less than $100 and accuracy is much more than I anticipated. IIRC Woa uses Wilson blanks

Back