European pheasant hunt

spotstalkshoot

Was asked to participate in an European pheasant shoot this afternoon. 3235 shells,244 pheasant,28 guys. A fun filled, fall day with great food,beverage and conversation.

Easy now guys, some of those European shoot birds are tough customers! Especially the leftover raised birds that weren't good enough for field hunting.

Honestly [beeep], most of us who bird hunt aren't near as good of shots as we should be.

Maybe it was the beverage consumption that contributed to the poor shooting?
smile.gif

The shell and bird count was provided by the farm, prizes were given for closest guess. I personally shot 66 shells and was in the 25 range for hits on birds. A couple guys, not part of my group of 9, had tube extensions and it would sound like popcorn when a bird passed their way. We were told to bring a minimum of 100 shells. I was shooting an o/u,probably could of been much closer to 100 with a autoloader. Fun times no drinking before shooting. I have pics on the phone, not sure how to submit them without p.b.

Last edited:
My Lab and I get to retrieve at a dozen or more pheasant shoots each winter. Many shooters will take a 50 to 100 yard shot and fire multiple times. It's not uncommon for 25 or more shots to be fired at a single bird and have that bird still get away.

They may be poor shots, but mostly it seems like they just can't judge distance and shoot at birds that are out of range and either stop their gun or don't lead enough.

I have a Vizsla, who I force fetched trained for retrieving. It would have been more entertaining for me to have handled then shooting. But spending the day with a group of friends and laughing about the missing and celebrating after some of the shots was fun. And the food after was fantastic. And the handlers would relay by radio any messages to other shooting stands, so we could razz our whole group.

Back