Cabelas Instinct scope (Meopta HTR) with exposed turrets review

204 AR

I just jumped on 6 of these as they were on a heck of a sale. There are some of the 4.5-14 left although the price has increased a bit. The 6.5-20 has disappeared completely from the page so maybe it's a closeout?

I found these and looks wise they are just like the MC Conquest. The elevation turret is exposed with 18 moa per revolution. More on that later. The windage is capped as the Windmax reticle allows for hold offs in 2 moa increments. Side focus down to 30 yds. The rest of the focus dial is only marked in tick marks, no yardages.

When I got home there was very little light left so I got out every other scope I had and compared them until dark. My old 6.5-20 Conquest was the only one that compared, it was the same as far as I could tell. Nothing else I had including Japanese Bushnells came close to last light brightness and resolution. Actually I had a 5-25 Zeiss HD5 but it was boxed up to ship so I didn't bother unpacking it to check but I'm sure it would have been just as good or better.

I love the reticle. I like the idea of dialing range and holding wind. The turret is ok but definitely not NF clicks. Also worth noting is that unlike the MC Conquest, the elevation turret rotates the direction most of us are used to. Included in the box on some of them is a card for a free custom elevation turret. No instructions at all came with it, just a lens cloth and scope cover and Cabelas warranty card saying bring it in if it ever goes bad and it will be replaced or repaired free of charge.

There is a down side. Vertical travel is only about 30-32 moa. What's worse for me is that on every one I've mounted you use most of it getting dialed in. Easily corrected with offset inserts with the Signature rings, but still, what's up with that. Of course it's a little worse with suppressors like I run since you're dealing with some barrel droop to start with. Unsuppressed won't be as bad. They must use a different internal mechanism than the MC Conquest did because those don't have this issue and have a lot more internal range.

Overall, for under $400 that I paid, it's an amazing scope. My initial tests shooting 200 yd groups showed no poi shift from high to low zoom on the one I tested that way so far.

9L1lNyvl.jpg

wXG08I8l.jpg

This rifle I used a regular mount and still have 10 moa left so that gets me to 500 yds with 3moa left on the turret which is plenty far for a 50 gr vmax out of the 22 nosler.

Last edited:
Keeping them. I will probably never see glass this good for that kind of money again. I think their are still some 14x left.

I got a fair amount of "practice" in today with the two 6.5-20x shooting pdogs. Those are mounted on a RAP 204 and an AR in 223AI. Ranges were from maybe 60 yds to 450, and anything in between. They both performed perfectly, I really like that reticle! Turrets seemed to return perfectly every time. I haven't tested my drops from Strelok except for today with these rounds but it seemed to be right on, as well as the windage calls.

I only wish I could have bought 6 more, love these scopes! And it's really nice having them the same on all my main rifles.

I haven't tried that honestly. I have used it with a green led gun light to shoot steel at 200 yards easily.

So have you used these scopes anymore still liking them? Thinking this would be a great scope for my calling rifle. I can’t even seem to find them on Cabela’s website. Do you think you could put shins under the turret to act as a zero stop, kind of like vortex does?

Originally Posted By: zr600So have you used these scopes anymore still liking them? Thinking this would be a great scope for my calling rifle. I can’t even seem to find them on Cabela’s website. Do you think you could put shins under the turret to act as a zero stop, kind of like vortex does?

Yeah I've been out in the field with them a lot, shot a bunch of prairie dogs with 2 of them a while back, dialing up and down. Always seemed to come back to zero. I had my calling rifle out the other evening in zero wind conditions to check my long range drops out to 500. Once I found it, I dialed back to zero between every shot and shot a pretty impressive group on steel at 500. Then back to zero and took 2 shots at 200 to check and centerpunched the bull. So I'm very confident in their repeatability. I don't know yet if the moa is correct, ie if you dial 9 moa at 500 if it's really 46", but I will check that some time. Doesn't really matter if you verify your drops.

Yes, I love these scopes, this is maybe the best gun related deal I've ever gotten. I just did a search, they are all gone.

Not sure if this is the exact same scope, but looks like they can still be had. Sale price is gone though:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INSTINCT-HD-RIFLESCOPE/2347384.uts

I have a Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 on my .270 and a discontinued Cabela’s Instinct Euro 4.5-14x44 on a .17 Hornet. Both are fantastic scopes. The Meopta I bought refurbished from EuroOptic for a great price, and it carries a full lifetime, transferable warranty. These Cabela’s scopes are just rebranded Meoptas, so if you really want one you have other options to consider.

Btw, great review 204 AR. I’m completely sold on the value these scopes provide for your hard-earned coin. Seems like you are too.

I think those are the same optically, just with covered turrets and a different reticle. Would be a great scope imo.

Back