Groups tight enough?!

I always try for as tight a group as I think I can get; however, with all the variables, even day to day that is kind of a never ending challenge. That being said, I will hunt with anything that will hold a consistently tight enough group to cleanly take what ever it is I am hunting within the ranges I generally shoot. 90% of my coyotes are under 200 yards, so by that standard a 2 MOA load/gun combination should be sufficient. That said, I am a whole lot more confident when I have a sub MOA setup in hand.

As long as im within an inch at 100 yards im happy. My shot in fields will rarely be out to 200 so I know im good there. I do try and find the the ammo that will give me the best grouping though. My 22-250 is 1/2 to 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Need to get a lead sled and see if it will get tighter.

Oh I know it be much tighter with the lead sled. I can see my heart beat affecting my groups. For some reason I have lost the touch in managing heartbeat shot variability.

While it is fun to shoot small groups, the first shot out of a cold barrel is the only one to worry about.

I like to insure the first cold barrel shot is on and then make sure I have an acceptable group to follow. This way I know everything is as it should be.
Besides the standard stuff, I don't always connect on the first cold barrel shot. Sometimes it is the third shot that connects or hits another coyote in the group.
So I shoot for the groups my rifle claims 3 shots under 1 inch, or 5 shots under 1 inch. One rifle claims and does shoot-first two shots touching and a third under an inch.

My salvage 22-250 shoots 55g nosler varmageddon factory ammo in .2" groups at 100 yards. I hasven't really tested out any of the loads I worked up of my own. I've got some 50g barnes ttsx loads that I need to go test. Now if only the darn wind would quit blowing.... You know why it's so windy in ND right? Because Minnesota sucks and Montana blows!

Originally Posted By: tripod3I like to insure the first cold barrel shot is on and then make sure I have an acceptable group to follow. This way I know everything is as it should be.
Besides the standard stuff, I don't always connect on the first cold barrel shot. Sometimes it is the third shot that connects or hits another coyote in the group.
So I shoot for the groups my rifle claims 3 shots under 1 inch, or 5 shots under 1 inch. One rifle claims and does shoot-first two shots touching and a third under an inch.

Works for me also.

Minute of coyote is all you really need. I have seen a lot of guys that can cut the same hole, miss an easy coyote shot. I figure anything near/under an inch is good enough.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoMinute of coyote is all you really need. I have seen a lot of guys that can cut the same hole, miss an easy coyote shot. I figure anything near/under an inch is good enough.

i'm kind of the same why when developing an accuracy load vs a hunting load.

if its MOA or a little better, i'm happy for a hunting load. that'll give me a kill shot on almost anything furry i'm gonna point a gun at if i do my part.

if im trying for pretty groups, i want a load thats sub moa and as close to ½ MOA or under as i can get.

i zero for hunting with the cold bore shot, if its significant from the warm barrel groupings.

Having a rifle that shoots small groups definitely gives you confidence. One that hits well on a cold bore is great too! But, hahaha, small groups doesnt mean a whole lot when there is ADRENALINE running thru your veins when you are trying to make a shot.
My advice, find somehting that you are confident with and hunt with it. You will be fine.

Last edited:
I like groups under an inch, smaller the better, because then I know shooting out to 400-500 yards will still be good hits on coyotes as long as my windage is good too. That said I’d gladly take a mini 14 shooting 2-3 MOA and just keep shots under 200 which happens a lot when I’m in the woods. A lot of people were saying they sight in and then just hunt but I believe drills are hugely important. 20 rounds a session, keeping track of cold bore shot vs following group, and then jumping jacks or something followed by a shot or 2. 1 shot per target. I did that sorta stuff with a pellet gun that looked like a M4 in the Army to practice for live fire. Helped a ton. Wanted to get sniper school but they changed the regs so only infantry and scouts could go. I was a forward observer, go figure the genius that made that up was a desk jockey. Know your rifle and know your limitations.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo I have seen a lot of guys that can cut the same hole, miss an easy coyote shot. I figure anything near/under an inch is good enough.

I've seen more guys, who can't drill out the same hole miss the harder shot's as well.

The tighter group that you can get, the less chance you have of missing... even the easy shots.

Back