Best Steel

There are so many good steels in today's knife world it's impossible to pick a steel and call it "the best." Even knives with the same steel may perform markedly different because of grind and heat treatment. As an example, your Knives of Alaska blade might be D2, but it's not going to perform as well as it could because of the thickness of the blade behind the edge and the fact KOA only runs their D2 at 58 Rc. Compare that to something like a Bob Dozier D2 high hollow grind at 61 Rc which optimizes grind and heat treatment for D2. D2 is not the hardest blade steel but it's a very good general purpose steel when optimized with a good grind and heat treatment. The only time D2 has spotted rust on any of the many knives in that steel I've owned is when my wife stuck one of my D2 knives in the dishwasher and ran it through and then left it sitting in there for a couple days. I wasn't aware she had done that. The Dozier had a few small orange specks along toward the tip on both sides. Given halfway decent care D2 holds up pretty well to corrosion. Seeking the right steel for the right job is important. You mention you can't chop with a knife, but that's not true. Lots of knife chopping competitions have developed blade steels, grinds and heat treatments that excel at chopping. However a blade steel used in a chopper, say something like A2 wouldn't make a great fillet knife because the carbon steel A2 would be very prone to rusting. There are lots of great options and several contenders for "best" for the various uses us knife guys demand of our blades.

Last edited:
I wish it could be narrowed to one is the best for everything.
Just the differences in treating by each maker produces another choice.
Educated buys will make most guys happy til the next.

I can't keep up with all these "super steels"....I get by with 1095 carbon steel and D2 and if I have to sharpen them a little more often that's OK...I'm retired.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GCThere are so many good steels in today's knife world it's impossible to pick a steel and call it "the best." Even knives with the same steel may perform markedly different because of grind and heat treatment. As an example, your Knives of Alaska blade might be D2, but it's not going to perform as well as it could because of the thickness of the blade behind the edge and the fact KOA only runs their D2 at 58 Rc. Compare that to something like a Bob Dozier D2 high hollow grind at 61 Rc which optimizes grind and heat treatment for D2. D2 is not the hardest blade steel but it's a very good general purpose steel when optimized with a good grind and heat treatment. The only time D2 has spotted rust on any of the many knives in that steel I've owned is when my wife stuck one of my D2 knives in the dishwasher and ran it through and then left it sitting in there for a couple days. I wasn't aware she had done that. The Dozier had a few small orange specks along toward the tip on both sides. Given halfway decent care D2 holds up pretty well to corrosion. Seeking the right steel for the right job is important. You mention you can't chop with a knife, but that's not true. Lots of knife chopping competitions have developed blade steels, grinds and heat treatments that excel at chopping. However a blade steel used in a chopper, say something like A2 wouldn't make a great fillet knife because the carbon steel A2 would be very prone to rusting. There are lots of great options and several contenders for "best" for the various uses us knife guys demand of our blades.

Funny that you would mention specifically a few of the improvements I recommended to my local Knife maker. If you watched the Video I requested that he make it as hard as possible and he showed me some with 63 hardness. I did not know KOA stopped at 58. I also wanted a Hollow ground Blade that had more of a pointed tip. Hopefully I will get one that will be better than my Knives of Alaska, which is still my favorite knife. By the way to me another important feature is a Handle that is easily found.

Last edited:
Flea,
From what I understand if D2 is too hard it's prone to chipping. Dozier has the long standing reputation as the Master of D2 and he runs his at 61 Rc. Ingram runs his at 60.5 Rc. Brett Dowell goes to 62 Rc. I'd bet those guys have it pretty well figured out that somewhere between 60 - 62 Rc is a sweet spot. I also like D2, I've used it a lot over the years. It takes a nice edge with a bit of tooth to it and keeps it for awhile. When you get that new knife please post a picture! We love knife pics, especially bloody ones with critters. Good luck hunting this year and congrats on your future blade.

I've been ordering all of mine with S30V anymore. I've had excellent results. They hold an edge well and I've never had one rust. I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. So at the end of the season I box them up and send them to Gene to get sharpened. I have several so I don't ever have one get extremely dull.

Originally Posted By: CinchI've been ordering all of mine with S30V anymore. I've had excellent results. They hold an edge well and I've never had one rust. I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. So at the end of the season I box them up and send them to Gene to get sharpened. I have several so I don't ever have one get extremely dull.

It is not unusual for me to gut 10 to 12 big hogs a night so I have to have a sharp knife. If it wont shave my face then it is not good and sharp. Hopefully this new knife will hold up to that.

By the way first Edge use a Work Sharp with Medium or Coarse Belts. After that all sharpening is done on Ceramic Sticks. Make sure you try to cut the stick with every stroke. Make sure those sticks are clean as well. To clean them I wet the sticks then used Powdered Laundry Detergent. I rub them hard in my hand with the Detergent then rinse them off. You can feel them bite just a little after that.

I went for bench made and s30v. Seems pretty great so far and still shaved after field dressing, skinning, and breaking down a deer. Haven't sharpened her in a month as my EDC and she's still popping hair. Sharpening isn't an issue for me, use ceramic rods or a work sharp and it only takes a few minutes

Originally Posted By: RePete I can't keep up with all these "super steels"....I get by with 1095 carbon steel and D2 and if I have to sharpen them a little more often that's OK...I'm retired.
smile.gif

Wisdom right there.

Ive made a few knives but I am far from an expert. But I do have 20+ years in the tool and die industry.
Its not always about the specific steel type. I dont think you can pick “the best knife blade steel” either, there are too many pros, cons, and similarities between each steel. Haha, thats like trying to pick the “best coyote cartridge”, hahahaha. We have seen those threads before.
Blade geometry, heat treat (which the steel type dictates), and tempering (hardness) is more important.
When I was making my knives I used the steel I was most comfortable working with and that was A-2 tool steel.
But thats my opinion.

Originally Posted By: GCFlea,
From what I understand if D2 is too hard it's prone to chipping. Dozier has the long standing reputation as the Master of D2 and he runs his at 61 Rc. Ingram runs his at 60.5 Rc. Brett Dowell goes to 62 Rc. I'd bet those guys have it pretty well figured out that somewhere between 60 - 62 Rc is a sweet spot. I also like D2, I've used it a lot over the years. It takes a nice edge with a bit of tooth to it and keeps it for awhile. When you get that new knife please post a picture! We love knife pics, especially bloody ones with critters. Good luck hunting this year and congrats on your future blade.

GC, will this bloody knife work?

And I just happen to have another one.

The top one is S30V and the bottom one is D2. Both from my favorite maker, Brad Watkins.

Perfection my friend! Congrats on both the knives and the good venison! I had some freshly killed venison steak tips last night for dinner - fantastic!

I used Ka-Bar 1281 D2 for more than two years. The steel was really great. Now using Ka-bar Serrated Edge after I lost my favorite D2.

I have a Dozier Yukon Pro that I really like the knife, but it will turn an edge fairly easily at times. Bob is known as the king of D2 but this one must of slipped out of the shop somehow. Been sharpening it at 20 degrees, may step up to 25.
My 2 Ingram S30V blades really perform well as does a Mike Miller 154

Last edited:
Yes, if I happen to cut through meat onto a bone it will turn. I bought it used, wonder sometimes if it was counterfeit. Even my Buck knives hold an edge better.

Back