Prairie Dog hunting with my 11 year old son

SEMOmike

Looking for a place to take my son in the spring (May/June). Wpuld love to shoot on public ground, but would also pay a trespassing fee or for a semi guided hunt If the price wasn’t over the top.

Where would you guys go? Wyoming? South Dakota?

Can bring a truck camper so have lodging food covered.

Thoughts?

We don't charge, but we are a long ways from town.
Also, might post in hunt swap and or classifieds.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best advice I can give is to start doing your homework now. Most don't give up where their stomping grounds are as it gets tougher to come by. I went out to SD this past summer and in doing my research, found public ground that offered some ok shooting but not excellent. I compared it to the guide we went with later in the week and the shooting was great.

Contact the local Ranger offices of each National Grassland and they can provide you some great information, maps, recommendations, etc. I've used Willie Dvorak (Jim River Guide Service) in the past and the shooting was great.

How about Montana ???
Tons of public land with free prairie dogs, No license or seasons .
I find the central Mt, Lewistown to Billings to Fort Benton Loaded with dogs and public ground.
It looks to me like there growing in population over the last few year, more then I have ever seen and I have been here over 60 years...

Back