magnification for 257 WBY?

goosedowner

I need to buy a scope for my 257wby. The gun will be used for whitetail and pronghorn hunting as well as the occasional woodchuck and coyote hunt.I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Leica ER5.
should I go with a 3x15 or a 4x20

Thanks

I saw the Leica ER5 on sale at eurooptic but most models were out of stock.
I can easily recommend the Zeiss HD5 also on closeout because the new V6 is out. Sale at Eurooptics, Sportoptics, and Cabela's.
The 3-15 is certainly adequate and the 4-20 gives you more room without completely robbing the low end.
To me it would matter what reticle is available and suits your shooting style/ability.
I have found the Zeiss Z600-800 or Varmint to be very usable with online ballistic programming. Some reticles have a thicker crosshair than I originally preferred, but in actual hunting/ killing use I have killed coyotes from 100-350 yds. 1 shot kills with 50 gr .22-250.
Rifle sight in was also suitable and accurate.
These 5x and 6x scopes are sure a pleasure after using 3x scopes for decades.

I have been using 6.5-20 leupolds for over 20 years and cannot complain even on my .22 silhouette rifle clear all the way down to 25 meters.I would rather have to much magnification on the top end for the times you need it

Back