Chaga Mushrooms for cancer?

Rock Knocker

I was just curious if anyone here is familiar with chaga mushrooms.

I'm not going to add all the benefits I've read about it to this post, it would take all day.

Ether way I am trying to do as much research as possible about it's anti tumor/cancer benefits but I am no doctor and online sources are ether explained too short and simply to be useful or else in full medical jargon.

Me and a buddy a few months ago picked more chaga than we need for a while and I know two people who have been given less than a year to live, one from bone cancer and one from pancreatic cancer. Nether of these people are very close to me, one is a friend of a friend and one is the father of a co-worker.

I've offered both a free supply of chaga(not directly, told my buddy to tell his buddy and told my co-worker to tell her parents) but I'm not trying to over step my bounds on their privacy at these extreme moments in their lives. And quite frankly I don't know anything about chaga more than what I've read online.

If anyone has some resources they could share or some personal experience it would help me with my understanding and it may help the two men even more. I'm just trying to figure out as much as possible about this little known mushroom so I don't seem like a lunatic telling them to try my special mushrooms to save their lives.....

P.S. I'm not one for asking for prayers but I know any would be endlessly appreciated by both these men and their families.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI'm just trying to figure out as much as possible about this little known mushroom so I don't seem like a lunatic telling them to try my special mushrooms to save their lives.....

This has slippery slope written all over it. I would be very careful doing anything in the above statements

I've done enough research to know it's been used for centuries and in other cultures(not dropping dead from new diseases) is considered "The King of Herbs" and has health benefits beyond basically any other natural source. In Russia I even read there's been a cancer fighting drug made from some of it's compounds.

Last edited:
Here is one of the better resources I have found. https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/chaga-mushroom

This is copied and pasted from that page's "Mechanism of Action" section.

Oxalic, gallic, protocatechuic and p-hydroxybenzoic acids have been identified in chaga extracts (12). In vitro, antidiabetic effects are attributed to terpenoids that inhibit alpha-glucosidase (15). Anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties may occur via inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) (3). Immunomodulating effects are attributed to Th1/Th2 cytokine secretion in immune cells and regulation of antigen-specific antibody production (16). Anti-quorum sensing activity in chaga conks suggests broader anti-infection attributes beyond immunomodulatory effects (12).

In animal studies, a methanolic extract of chaga produced beneficial effects on learning and memory via decreased malondialdehyde and nitrite levels, decreased acetylcholinesterase activity, and restored glutathione, superoxide dismutase, and acetylcholine levels (18). Antifatigue effects were attributed to polysaccharides from chaga, which increased endurance and glycogen content of liver and muscle in mice, while decreasing blood lactic acid and serum urea nitrogen levels (20). Anti-inflammatory effects in animal colitis models were related to suppression of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, iNOS, and interleukin (IL)-1beta (19).

3beta-hydroxy-lanosta-8, 24-dien-21-al, and inotodiol constituents in chaga produce antimutagenic and antioxidative activities (9). Water-soluble lignin derivatives have also been identified as bioactive constituents with anticancer properties (26). A hot-water extract of chaga exhibited inhibitory and proapoptotic actions against colon cancer cells via upregulation of Bax and caspase-3 and downregulation of Bcl-2 (5). Inhibition of colorectal cancer was exerted by the constituent ergosterol via downregulation of the beta-catenin pathway (21). Inotodiol, a triterpenoid isolated from chaga, inhibited proliferation of cervical cancer cells and induced apoptosis in vitro via increased Bax expression, decreased Bcl-2, cyclin E downregulation, and p27 up-regulation (23). Aqueous extracts of chaga inhibited growth of human hepatoma cells via G0/G1 phase cell-cycle arrest and selective apoptotic induction (1). This selective activation may result from pH changes in the tumor microenvironment (11). Other apoptotic characteristics can induce caspase cleavage and nuclear fragmentation (7). Like many medicinal mushrooms, beta glucans in chaga exert immunomodulating activities, binding to complement receptor 3 so that immune cells recognize cancer cells as “non-self” (10).

Edit. haha didn't mean to make that look so large and obnoxious but it highlights the main points in the article. There's more info available but it's scattered through the web...

Last edited:
If anyone wants some chaga send me a PM, me and my buddy agreed to sell the extra supply or ours for $20 a pound(if anyone from here wants some, you'll get more than a pound.)

I haven't been looking for this information as much but I keep coming across how much chaga can help chemotherapy patients as well. Something about it keeps the radiation from doing as much damage to the good parts of your body and also boosting your immune system so it isn't as weak while you go through chemo. But like I said I haven't dug very far into that.

We use a dehydrator set at 95 degrees or lower, heat breaks down or releases some of it's beneficial chemicals. And storage from what we have found is best to just leave them in a paper bag or cardboard box and out of the light with adequate air circulation.

If you want to do some more research on natural cancer cures, look into cyanide fron apple seeds. A friend of mine is a chemical engineer and swears by it. Something about putting your body into ketosis and then eating a shake with the seeds in it. The cancer sells are strong enough to process the sugars from the seeds and get poisoned in the process.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIf anyone wants some chaga send me a PM, me and my buddy agreed to sell the extra supply or ours for $20 a pound(if anyone from here wants some, you'll get more than a pound.)

Do you really believe the mushrooms work?
I don't believe you do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707
Do you really believe the mushrooms work?
I don't believe you do.

I don't know anything more about it than what I've read online, the same thing you can read and come up with your own conclusions. I was just trying to offer it for cheaper than we've found, it takes a 6.5hr round trip to get to decent spots then a day or two and miles of hiking. It goes a long way, we ended up with more than we need. Selling what we've got would hardly fund another trip up.

I wonder how many people were laughing off a lemon as a cure for scurvy.

Things get figured out.

If you search it buy it's scientific name you'll find many studies and all of them have been positive.

Originally Posted By: bluealteredThanks again Rock Knocker.

No problem. If you're interested in chaga you could also look into Turkey Tail(Trametes versicolor) mushrooms, they are more common and are said to have similar benefits.

Back