New Photon RT Digital Scopes

Originally Posted By: pmackDavid, I know the RT has been released in the UK already, is that info new to the website?

Paul, I don't specifically remember seeing this previously or not. Guess I'm getting forgetful in my old age.

The scopes have a somewhat higher price tag, but some pretty good features.

Same fov of 22.5 feet at 100 yards. That's rough. It means the same sensor size, too.

Increased sensor pixel count for the same sensor size means each pixel is smaller and can absorb less light per frame. You'll get better resolution at the expense of needing more ir light.

Originally Posted By: UndrcoverrednekSame fov of 22.5 feet at 100 yards. That's rough. It means the same sensor size, too.

Increased sensor pixel count for the same sensor size means each pixel is smaller and can absorb less light per frame. You'll get better resolution at the expense of needing more ir light.

This is not a new sensor?

Photon RT 6x50S Digital Night Vision Riflescope features a new 768x576 CMOS sensor with 40% higher resolution than the Photon XT series.

Last edited:
It's a new sensor, not a new sensor size.

A larger sensor would have provided a larger fov. Check out difference in fov between different sensor sizes for the same focal length lens and distance. Photon xt has a 1/4" cmos, fyi. Small drone camera like the foxeer night wolf has has a 1/2" ccd.

Can you explain a little bit about the difference between cmos and ccd sensors as it relates to NV use. I read a bunch of stuff and came away with cmos is replacing ccd in cameras and phones but couldn't find anything specific to NV use.

I can't really elaborate on the technology because I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject. What I do know is that FOV has a relation to sensor size. If you put a 50mm focal length lens in that calculator and select a 300 ft viewing distance, you can see the difference in FOV between various sensor sizes.

I'm trying to follow you. I understand how magnification and objective lens sizes effect FOV and amount of light allowed through a scope, how does that sensor play into it? Based on your posts bigger is better, I'm just trying to fit it into the puzzle.

Back