New Mexico Mule Deer Hunt

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
A few weeks ago I finished up my last scheduled big game hunt of the season, a New Mexico mule deer rifle hunt in northwestern NM. My much younger cousin also drew a tag. She and her brother (who hunted elk with us in October) accompanied me on this hunt, along with my dad, who has a bit more free time now that he's retired.
grin.gif

I didn't get much time to scout around before the hunt, so the first day was more recon and a few small hikes to get warmed up. On that first afternoon, this decent two-pointer made the fatal mistake of stopping for a look back at my cousin. One 85 grain TTSX from her .243 sealed his fate.

McKenna4Nov2017DeerSmudged-M.jpg

Big brother was there to help with the drag out.

McKenna4Nov2017DeerDrag-M.jpg

For the next several days we glassed (where the thick pinyon juniper allowed) and hiked, looking for a good buck. We passed on some small ones, and saw plenty of does and fawns.

MuleDeerDoeTimber-L.jpg

The Jicarilla wild horse population is stable, with plenty of healthy horses.

WildHorses1-M.jpg

WildHorses2-M.jpg

We also bumped into some wild turkeys...

WildTurkeys-M.jpg

...and took some time out to shoot prairie dogs.

Troy5Nov2017PrairieDog-M.jpg

Finally, late in the afternoon of the fourth (of five) days, we glassed up a decent buck out in the sagebrush feeding and I was able to seal the deal with my 6.5x55.

Troy7Nov2017DeerDad-M.jpg

It sure was nice getting to spend another hunting season with my dad, and I look forward to our next outing.

You've got a really big deer AND really long arms or you've got a really big deer AND...arms.

Either way that looks like a very BIG deer.

All in good fun, I don't get to hunt until this weekend.

Really appreciate that time with your dad. You can't imagine how much you will miss him when he can no longer go.

Thanks for sharing your hunt. Beautiful pictures, too. Great that your entire family gets together and enjoys each other and the great outdoors.

Gary is spot on, "You can't imagine how much you will miss him when he can no longer go."

Dad was a fisherman, I was the hunter. I didn't realize it at the time, but missed out on a lot as a youngster by not taking up fishing. Finally woke up when dad retired, he started going to hunting camp with me and I went fishing with him. When he could no longer handle a boat, I got a boat and we were fortunate to have a number of years together on the bays and in the field before he passed.

You're making lots of memories, Troy.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: SubpaRYou've got a really big deer AND really long arms or you've got a really big deer AND...arms.

Either way that looks like a very BIG deer.

All in good fun, I don't get to hunt until this weekend.

My knees are right up against the back side of that deer. He had a good-sized body, and was already pretty thick-necked in preparation for the rut.

Good luck on your hunt. I hope to see pictures of a bigger one than this.

Thanks for the other comments fellas. Dad and I have hunted together since my first time. I've been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time afield and on the water with him. Lately my youngest brother, who never hunted as a kid, has taken a keen interest in it and has been along with us on several hunts. We've had some great father/sons hunts in the past few years, for which I'm quite grateful.

Last edited:
Back