16" 6.5 Grendel Build... Ballistic Advantage or Odinworks?

Str8Shooter

I'm in the process of putting together a lightweight 6.5 Grendel build. I've been pouring over resources and I'm debating between the Odinworks and the Ballistic Advantage 16" offerings. Everything I've read so far says that their about a horse apiece. Does anyone have any info that would help me sway towards one or the other?

Just finished up a Grendel build using BA 18" ,Very good quality barrel ,1 moa guarantee, not many rounds through it , about 40 using hornady black ammo .(quick way to get some brass)
well under 1 moa , can't wait to dial in some hand loads.

Working with a Odin Works 16" now. It'll do the 1.5 with factory black 123, but having a problem getting similar results with reloads. Don't have the best(2520,,Blc-2 and Tac) powders listed for it and that may be the problem, but I really think I'd prefer to have gotten an 18".
Sure handles nice.

Last edited:
I have a Blackhole weaponry barrel in a 6.5 Grendel and it shoots very good. 123 gr eld Hornady 5 shots just over 1/2 inch.

I also have a 17-223 and 20 Practical in the Blackhole barrels

I just finished a Grendel with 18" Lilja and it shoots .4" groups with NightOps 100g Nosler BT. It's a absolute hammer on coyotes. I built this gun because I was losing too many coyotes that would spin and run off after being hit with .223. I have not missed or lost a single coyote since using this ammo in this build (not fur friendly though)
You will be happy once you get all dialed in, it's a fun caliber. I suggest trying the NightOps stuff too. At $28 a box and results I am getting it's hardly worth reloading. He's a nice guy too. I also shoot the Hornady Black at the range and it shoots really good too.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxAt $28 a box and results I am getting it's hardly worth reloading. Uh, ok. Dunno about you but it should only cost $8 or $9 per box to reload with the same bullet instead of paying $28. Saving that much would make it "worth it" to me. You'd have your dies paid off within 3 boxes of ammo (60 rounds), maybe 6 boxes if you got nice micrometer dies.

Built 2 grendels at xmas last year one for me and one for the kiddo. Mine is an 18in odin and his is a 20in odin. They are shooting very well with factory ammo and ran them both out to 500yds and had some really good groups. I don't have any pictures of the groups but I was very impressed. And when there is a smile on the kids face after taking a rock squirrel at 300yds with it that is all that matters. I would build another one using an odin barrel.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I'm pretty certain that the 6.5 Grendel will definitely fill a void in the AR fleet. I switched to a 16" BHW in 6x45 as a response to some spinners and runners after trying many different bullets in the .223. The 70 gr Nosler BT just knocks them flat. I'm expecting even better results from the 6.5, I just hate watching them run off.

Dirty Dog. I suppose you are correct if all I had to buy is dies but I am not set up for reloading and would be starting from ground zero. I don't shoot that much but I am sure that it would pay for itself after a few years unless you count the value of time. I am sure I would enjoy reloading and I do tend to geek out on that kind of stuff but it seems like a hobby in itself and I am certain I would have to shoot a lot to make it pay for itself. I guess I would rather work a extra hour at my job and buy a few boxes of ammo and go hunting. I do save my brass though. Maybe some day.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxDirty Dog. I suppose you are correct if all I had to buy is dies but I am not set up for reloading and would be starting from ground zero. I don't shoot that much but I am sure that it would pay for itself after a few years unless you count the value of time. I am sure I would enjoy reloading and I do tend to geek out on that kind of stuff but it seems like a hobby in itself and I am certain I would have to shoot a lot to make it pay for itself. I guess I would rather work a extra hour at my job and buy a few boxes of ammo and go hunting. I do save my brass though. Maybe some day. It would take you less than 500 rounds to break even (if you spend $500 on a pretty decent reloading setup). Some people break even more quickly than others, especially with multiple or expensive calibers. Just something to think about.

Too bad AA uses such a goofy thread size on their 6.5G barrels.

Originally Posted By: Rick D.I vote neither.

I really like my AA 16" barrel and it is extremely accurate.

Originally Posted By: Rick D.I vote neither.

I really like my AA 16" barrel and it is extremely accurate.

Care to share what load or factory ammo you use to get your accuracy??

Back