300 H&H magnum

colson

I have a chance to trade a 338 Winchester for a 300H&H. I am curious to see what your opinions are for I know nothing about these rifles.

Thanks

Chris

Unless it's a custom made gun likely it is a fairly old one. Only the occasional chamberings such as a M700 Classic does one find the old .300 H&H.

Almost 100 years old now it has not been the top dog .30 caliber for many decades. But they were and still are a fine round for deer and larger game. Killed lots of African game too. But unless you are a reloader or dont mind paying an awful lot for ammo you might just be better off keeping that .338 of yours.

Of course, if that .300 is a pre '64 Winchester model 70 in pristine condition then you better jump all over it.

Originally Posted By: Rustydust
Of course, if that .300 is a pre '64 Winchester model 70 in pristine condition then you better jump all over it.

I'm not much of Winnie model 70 fan and even less of a 300 H&H fan but I'd be like a rat on a cheeto for a good deal on a pristine Pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H!!!

Well what can you say. A cartridge that has been around nearly 100 years, has been the darling of long range target shooting for many years, done a tour of every continent in the hands of hunters, feeds slicker than snot and you never hear anyone b-t-h about it. You can't ask much more from a cartridge can you.

Plus it's been pretty much the basis of most of the Magnum cartridges. Oops that was the 375H&H,the rest id good.

Last edited:
The the 300 H&H is ballistically very similar(-100fps more or less)to the 300winmag. Like stated above, if it's a classic go for it, but it's not going to keep up with the 338winmag in bang down range.

Last edited:
Keep the 338!

But buy the 300 HnH if you can swing it!

They run a wider range of bullet weights than the modern magnums do accurately.

Three 44s

I would go with the h&h. A 220 loaded hot in that weatherby will do anything that a 338 will do. Grab some 150s and 165s for the h&h for a cool deer round that noone else will have in camp. A good 180 for the weatherby will round out the 300s. Forget the 338 and make your next rifle purchase a 375 for a pair of classics that you could take anywhere for any purpose.

Last edited:
I've had a 300 H&H for over 25 years and love it. My first was a Remington 721 and it was super accurate. I sold it to fund a left handed one from Remiington's custom shop. I ended up getting one of their KS Mountain Rifles and had them chamber it in 300 H&H. What a great gun. Probably the only left handed KS Mountain Rifle, factory chambered in 300 H&H in the world. It's taken mule deer, whitetails, elk, antelope, caribou and a fair number of coyotes. It wears some battle scars from sheep hunting when I used had to use it to slow my unintentionally rapid descent of a shale hill side. It shoots tiny little groups and with everything form 130 grain to 220 grain bullets. While I carry 220 grain Partitions in it now, the 165 grain Partition did most of the heavy lifting when we lived in the lower 48. If I had to pick one bullet for everything in mine I'd go with the 180 grain Partition and never look back. I got such a good buy on a huge stack of 220's a few years ago that I'm using them for a while.

Great round with lots of history and while it's not quite as fast as it's younger 30 magnum brethren, in the field it gives up nothing to them.

I have an 1957 Winchester M-70 in 300 H&H magnum that had belonged to my Grandfather. He used it to take numerous caribou and moose when he lived in Fairbanks in the 60s. I took a bull elk with it about ten years ago and will be elk hunting with it this week. I just finished loading up shells for it this evening. 180 grain gamekings at 2900 fps is nothing to sneeze at!

Wouldn't mind owning a 300 h&h, but personally, I'd stick with the .338 if I had to make that choice.

Never owned a 300 H&H but have owned a 308 Norma Mag, (2) 375 h&h, and currently own 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Shot barrel out on 308 rebarreled to 300 WM, gave one 375 to my son and sold the other because I really had no need for them and they had a mortar trajectory compared to the .338.

The .338/210 NP is a hammer on (up to 470#) nilgai cows and (up to 530#) Gemsbok bulls as well as the smaller scimitar horned oryx and much smaller whitetails and is a flat shooter. That has been all I've hunted since 2004 when I shot a 2000# eland bull with 300 gr. Swift A Frame in the 375.

I am hoping to be able to hunt an eland cow (max wt 1200#)this year and, although things not looking good for that hunt, planned to use my pet .338 with either 275 gr. A Frame or the new 265 gr. Nosler ABLR (low drag bonded tipped bullet with an amazing BC of .778! Can push the 338 to 2500 fps w/energy of 3516 @ 100 (compared to 300 gr. 375 @ 2600/4049 ft#) but the low drag bullet catches the 375 @ 150 and passes it @ 200 (338=2282vel/3065 energy compared to 375 @ 1967 vel/2576 energy)
and the 375 drops 10.3" @ 200 while 338 only 4.6!

I feel confident the .338 is up to the task for the eland and God willing plan on giving it a go.

Regards,
hm

My son built a 300H&H on a M70 Classic Sporter that was a 7 mag. It shot well with the only bullet we've tried in it, a 180 Partition at just over 3000fps. He carried it a couple times for elk but didn't get a chance to use it. Has since decided the 9 lbs+ weight was a little much to carry up the mountain and switched to a Kimber Classic 308.
He took the 300 to Wyoming this year for antelope, just wanted to use it for something. Shot his buck at about 230 yards and it took the animal without tearing up as much as I'd feared.
Nice rifle, better round

Forecast was for a lot of wind that week, so he figured the weight of the rifle would help steady the shot. I used a Ruger M77 MkII .257 Roberts that weighs almost as much for the same reason.

Being a 30 cal fan I love the .300 WM and don't find it overkill like some think. Even shooting heads off grouse.
The .338 has a little more wallop on my end than I care for however in this case keeping the .338 seems like the wise move.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Being a 30 cal fan I love the .300 WM and don't find it overkill like some think. Even shooting heads off grouse.
The .338 has a little more wallop on my end than I care for however in this case keeping the .338 seems like the wise move.
Overkill only exists on your shoulder. On the muzzle end it either does the job or it doesn't
smile.gif

I started shooting the little guys with the hottest 30-06 loads I could put together, heavy wind and my longest shot was 640 yds. A few years ago I decided to quit abusing myself and switched to a 25-06 for the small big game like deer and goats. Easy to carry, shoot it all day every day and shoulder is perfect. I only stretched to a bit over 400 though and now I'm goat retired
smile.gif

Ttsx out if the 25 put them down faster than anything I used previously and i was a fan if ex pensive lead. Same bullet in a 30 did the same with elk. Love that bullet
smile.gif

Back