Which 6mm for an AR15 Platform?

shelton573

I typically stick to putting together bolt action rifles, but I put together my first AR in 223 wylde this year and they are pretty dang fun to shoot. I started reading about 6mm ARs and thought I would ask here what you guys prefer. It would be for coyotes mainly and maybe steel target plinking occasionally. Is there a chambering specifically that you recommend for being able to run a bit heavier bullet as well? Might not be a bad little gun to have around for a low recoil deer rifle for a kid. Any info is much appreciated!

The 6X6.8 is probably the ticket for versatility and ease of forming. Non-proprietary dies and no fire forming. Anything from prairie dogs to deer to 600 yard steel.

Talk with Ritch who designed it and you'll be convinced. There's more than two dozen guys on here shooting them and more all the time. Being a Sponsor here does have advantages for his customers.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe 6X6.8 is probably the ticket for versatility and ease of forming. Non-proprietary dies and no fire forming. Anything from prairie dogs to deer to 600 yard steel.

Talk with Ritch who designed it and you'll be convinced. There's more than two dozen guys on here shooting them and more all the time. Being a Sponsor here does have advantages for his customers.

Greg

Thanks for the info greg!

Originally Posted By: dan158I am thinking about building one for big game... Whats the speeds of this caliber? Thank you.. Dan

31.5 Grains of H322, 58 vmax, cci 450 - 3671 fps 5 Shot Group .958" at 100 yards

31.0 Grains of H322, 58 vmax, cci 450 - 3648 fps 6 Shot Group .945" at 100 yards

30.0 Grains of AR Comp, 75 vmax, cci 450 - 3322 fps 5 Shot Group .934" at 100 yards. It has shot tighter with this load but I had not measured it. This is what I ended up loading to hunt.

My 31.5 grains of 8208 with a 58 vmax were around 3465 for and shot just under an inch as well.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThat's right in the ball park. It can be pushed a tad harder but those 58's are a death ray on coyotes.

Greg

The 75 v max is leveling them too. Not fur friendly!!!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: GLShooterThat's right in the ball park. It can be pushed a tad harder but those 58's are a death ray on coyotes.

Greg

The 75 v max is leveling them too. Not fur friendly!!!
thumbup1.gif

I think the 70 TNT would put on a great performance show. I know they do in a 6X45.

Greg

My 31.5 grains of 8208 with a 58 vmax were around 3465 for and shot just under an inch as well.[/quote]

This is working 5fps of what I'm getting with the same load in 22" barrel

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243

My 31.5 grains of 8208 with a 58 vmax were around 3465 for and shot just under an inch as well.

This is working 5fps of what I'm getting with the same load in 22" barrel

mine is 22"as well

Last edited:
I shoot 90 grain Nosler BT out of a 6x6.8 from our site sponsor Ritch for deer at around the 3000 FPS in a 22 inch barrel. Wish I had gone with the 24 inch.
smile.gif

Yes I was getting 2900-3000 out of the 87g Berger Vlds. This was with varget the fastest speeds were with Remington brass.

Back