Which dies would you be interested in ordering next?

midwestpredator

So I was hoping to have the 6x6.8 dies from Hornady in circulation by the time I started on the next venture but since we all know what Hornady dies look like I don't think we are in for any surprises.

I have been considering getting dies for another chambering ordered but since I don't currently have any of the ones im considering I figured I might as well set up a poll to gauge interest. Along with that, I have been talking with Ritch and we are planning on making this deal available with a barrel if needed(possibly at a discounted price).
thumbup.gif
Nothing is finalized but if we can get some folks interested I think we can get a pretty sweet deal going.

So which chambering custom FL dies would you be interested in ordering? You can choose 2 of the 3 options(poll 1). The second poll is self explanatory. Please only answer poll 3 if you answered YES in poll 2(you can select 2 choices if needed).

My apologies to those who already voted in the last poll. Please re-cast your votes here, I wanted to change the poll a bit to reflect some changes and because it was supposed to be in the AR forum to begin with.

Lol GLshooter is proably the only one that voted no for having to buy a barrel to use this die! Maybe when I’m retired I will be able to afford that many uppers. Hopefully either Ritch or someone he has taught will be building uppers when that time comes for me.

Originally Posted By: zr600Lol GLshooter is proably the only one that voted no for having to buy a barrel to use this die! Maybe when I’m retired I will be able to afford that many uppers. Hopefully either Ritch or someone he has taught will be building uppers when that time comes for me.

Barrels are cheap,relatively, it's the rest of the upper that raises the cost. I've done a lot of networking getting a deal here and there to extend my budget. If you notice I don't use high dollar cheese grater forends and fancy muzzle breaks. Just solid performance parts. No show just go.

Don't worry about Ritch. He's pretty spry. I believe he'll be doing these for a couple more decades.

Greg

That’s good to know I need to start saving slowly so I can get a few nice uppers from him. Lol my 6x6.8 was built like your nothing fancy just good usable parts doesn’t need to look pretty to kill a coyote.

There are still more details to get worked out but this is what I have right now:

This combo barrel and die set will be a collaboration between Ritch, his new barrel manufacturer, and myself with Hornady.

We will be able to offer 2 barrel lengths which will probably be 18 and 22 inch. Standard contour with 5/8 thread and machine finish

The dies will be the same standard full length 2 die set from Hornady as was ordered for the 6x6.8.

We will be able to offer this combo deal for a smoking $400 + shipping

Just like with the last Hornady dies, we will need to get at least 25 sets sold in order to make this happen so for those folks that won't need a barrel the die sets would be available by themselves for $125.

I would be in for a 22 inch 22x6.8 barrel and a set of dies for $400.

Thanks for putting these group buys together. You should be nominated for "man of the year"!

Originally Posted By: barkI would be in for a 22 inch 22x6.8 barrel and a set of dies for $400.

Thanks for putting these group buys together. You should be nominated for "man of the year"!

Lol, just don't give your wives/girlfriends my address. I don't know of they would agree with that award!

If you voted your g2g for right now. I will most likely start a new "who's in" thread when things are ready to proceed.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84What dies would be included? I'm assuming necking 6.8 brass down to .22 is a multi step process.

Accordingly to Hornady they can do it in one step. Plus a seater die of course.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Redleg84What dies would be included? I'm assuming necking 6.8 brass down to .22 is a multi step process.

Greg

I assumed the same... After talking with Hornady, they said that we can neck down about 0.050" in one step and have no worries. We are going ~0.053" and the technician told me that he is confident we will not need an intermediate step.

That said, I would have the option to make it a 3 die set however I was told to save my money and start out with a standard 2 die set. If its needed, an intermediate die can be made with our 6x6.8 reamer so it will not be a hard process but I did not ask what the additional cost would be. Also, for those that will already have the 6x6.8 setup, all we will need to do is removed the guts from our 6x6.8 fl die and use that.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Redleg84What dies would be included? I'm assuming necking 6.8 brass down to .22 is a multi step process.

Greg

I assumed the same... After talking with Hornady, they said that we can neck down about 0.050" in one step and have no worries. We are going ~0.053" and the technician told me that he is confident we will not need an intermediate step.

That said, I would have the option to make it a 3 die set however I was told to save my money and start out with a standard 2 die set. If its needed, an intermediate die can be made with our 6x6.8 reamer so it will not be a hard process but I did not ask what the additional cost would be. Also, for those that will already have the 6x6.8 setup, all we will need to do is removed the guts from our 6x6.8 fl die and use that.

I have tried taking 6.8SPC down to 22 caliber in one pass and its a no go. Pulling the guts from a 6mm works just fine as mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Redleg84What dies would be included? I'm assuming necking 6.8 brass down to .22 is a multi step process.

Greg

I have tried taking 6.8SPC down to 22 caliber in one pass and its a no go. Pulling the guts from a 6mm works just fine as mentioned above.

I too have had zero luck taking a 6.8 case all the way down to .22. I pretty much do what Venatic does: I take the guts out of my 6mm die, put it on my Dillon tool-head, along with the FL .22 die and let it rip!

Originally Posted By: dtechOriginally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: Redleg84What dies would be included? I'm assuming necking 6.8 brass down to .22 is a multi step process.

Greg

I too have had zero luck taking a 6.8 case all the way down to .22. I pretty much do what Venatic does: I take the guts out of my 6mm die, put it on my Dillon tool-head, along with the FL .22 die and let it rip!

Ok, ill have to talk with Hornady again. So do you use a 3 die set for your 22dti then?

Originally Posted By: midwestpredator

Ok, ill have to talk with Hornady again. So do you use a 3 die set for your 22dti then?

I actually found out the hard way. I developed the DTI line in 09’, but for quite some time I only sold, the 6mm and .25 versions. The first .22 DTI I sold had problems necking down 6.8 brass in one pass, so I did some experimenting. I must have been using 6mm DTI brass to form .22 DTI brass I was having the same problem. I simply had my customer send me his brass and I ran it through my Dillon for him.

From that point on I alerted customers as to what needed to be done, and if they didn’t have a die that would work, I just formed them for free as a “customer service”. I never had good luck selling any form of “two pass” forming.

Back