Leupold Issues.

CZ527

Well, today I killed my 3rd Leupold in as many months.

I’m over it. I really wonder how I’ve ever gotten one sighted in without breaking it.
As soon as I get on the knobs, they’re toast. A VX6 and the same Mark 4, twice.

That's amazing, those are expensive scopes. Do tell, what broke?

FWIW I've always been really underwhelmed by the glass on any Leupold I've ever owned.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARThat's amazing, those are expensive scopes. Do tell, what broke?

FWIW I've always been really underwhelmed by the glass on any Leupold I've ever owned.

VX6- erector system was bouncing around inside scope tube.... that’s what Leupold said.

Mk 4 Version 1- canted reticle (after several years of hard use.)
Mk 4 Round 2- gun shot 2” vertical groups, straight vertical. Had previously been shooting
high .2s and is again with a different scope.

Originally Posted By: Stob"As soon as I get on the knobs"......can you explain this? What gun, what mounts/rings?

I’m thinking the use of turrets for shooting long range is common enough you should know what I meant....

Beanland Rifles built on Bighorns, seekins hardware.

Originally Posted By: McGrawOuch! That’s really a pisser with the time and investment you got in your rigs. Where are you headed next, NF?

I replaced the VX6 with a NF NXS a while back. That will be traded for an ATACR later on.
I don’t like NF NXS glass much.

I replaced the Mark 4 with a Conquest V6 3-18x50. I’m basically going to put this scope through [beeep] and see if it will hold up. The glass is amazing on this one, like most Zeiss.

I had a Zeiss 6.5 x20 I never should have gotten rid of. The glass on it was amazingly clear and bright.. Got a case of stupid and sold it to a guy that had better sense than me. I've got a NF that has clear glass but not as clear as it should be for the price. I think their claim is the near indestructible turrets. Hope you have better luck out of your next scopes...

How are the Zeiss turrets for holding up? I haven’t had any problems in two years on 3 difference vortex’s one hst, and 2 pst. But I would upgrade to something with better glass. Been thinking about a vx5hd or vx6hd, or nightforce.

Last edited:
ZR600,

I don’t want to speak too soon about the Zeiss turrets, but I’ll let you know in the next week or so.

In the past, I’ve mostly used Zeiss on point blank hunting rigs for their awesome low light ability.

This is the first one I’m trying out for tracking and repeatability.

Last edited:
I have had no issues with the Zeiss HD5 and have heard the same from a number of others about the turrets.
I did have problems with the original Conquest as did others and that is how I ended up with the newer Hd5 a couple years ago under warranty. This has been the best warranty situation.

I am certainly a believer in the higher end Zeiss products. I strongly considered a Victory V8 until I noticed the Conquest V6.

Leupold's are a set and forget it scope regardless of the model. If you want to twist turrets Leupold wouldn't be the brand I'd chose. Try a NF

I shot silhouette high power and rim fire for about 5 years and only had a turret problem one time after quite a few years and these scopes were used 2-3 weekends a month and Leupold fixed the problem and had it back to me in 3 days all my scopes are vx3 and vx3i

Originally Posted By: GhostmanLeupold's are a set and forget it scope regardless of the model. If you want to twist turrets Leupold wouldn't be the brand I'd chose. Try a NF

I couldn't agree more...

I’ve got an NXS. Tough as nails with mediocre to decent glass. It’s on my 6.5.

I’ve done my best to break the new Conquest V6.... dialed it enough to simulate 6 months worth of shooting. Zeiss hit a home run with that one.

Back