NV/Thermal Combo

randry

Looking for a night hunting setup and am looking for recommendations as I have no experience in this area. I want a setup to coyote hunt. Im not sure if I want a thermal scope, or a thermal scanner and a nv scope. I really dont know. Just looking for a combo around 4-5,000. Any suggestions helpful. Thanks

Thermal rifle scope first. Get thermal monocular later. You’ll see them from a long ways away if you are in open terrain. Trying to find a moving yote with NV/IR combo is horrible.

Originally Posted By: Zen ArcheryThermal rifle scope first. Get thermal monocular later. You’ll see them from a long ways away if you are in open terrain. Trying to find a moving yote with NV/IR combo is horrible.

Any suggestions on a thermal scope? I really have no clue which to choose as far as quality.

Originally Posted By: randryOriginally Posted By: Zen ArcheryThermal rifle scope first. Get thermal monocular later. You’ll see them from a long ways away if you are in open terrain. Trying to find a moving yote with NV/IR combo is horrible.

Any suggestions on a thermal scope? I really have no clue which to choose as far as quality.

Please give me a PM, several options available. Thank you.

I would have to say one of the Pulsar Trail xq models and one of the Pulsar handhelds in the 1500 to 2k range would serve you well. I scan with an xd19a and shoot with a Trail xp50 and lets just say I hate looking through anything else after looking through the XP 50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I would have to say one of the Pulsar Trail xq models and one of the Pulsar handhelds in the 1500 to 2k range would serve you well. I scan with an xd19a and shoot with a Trail xp50 and lets just say I hate looking through anything else after looking through the XP 50.

Hope you get a chance to look through IR mark 3 sometime. Of coarse they are not in the same price range but it's all relative.

Pulsar Trail XP 38 or even the XQ models are cheaper. With the new QD Pulsar offers. You can pull off scan then put on your gun fairly quick.

Depends on how much money you have. I have a Pulsar HD19A for scanning. Couldn't imagine scanning all night holding my rifle.
I shoot with NV. I like to positively ID the animals. Just my opinion. Many will say they don't have any issues but I don't want to shoot the neighbors' dog.
I use a Nemesis 6xQSi or a Pulsar N750. Guess if I sold both I could get a Thermal scope, but I like to take people with me. if they don't have a gun, I provide. Same way with the landowners. Many of them want to see what I am doing, so I take them out. I don't have the extra coin for 2 thermal scopes.

anybody have any experience with the pulsar helion xq 30. Just getting setup for night hunting and thinking of the Trail xq50 for shooting and the helion xq30 or 38 for scanning. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would a good alternative be for a scan light until I can afford the helion. would something simple like a headlamp (buck lantern) due justice in the interim?

Old Cat has some experience with using the XQ30F that his hunting partner has. He says it just blows his HD19A away. Maybe he will see the post and respond or you can PM him.

I would not spend any more on a scanner than I had to. I can tell you, you won't go wrong with the xq 30f. If I was buying a new scanner that would be it. They don't make the hd19a any more, & I don't know if you can find an xd19a. The difference in price is well worth it. Clarity is better, distance is better, & id is better. I have used all 3 I mentioned. If I can help more let me know. I have a good nv scope in white phosphors for sale if interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sjansanybody have any experience with the pulsar helion xq 30. Just getting setup for night hunting and thinking of the Trail xq50 for shooting and the helion xq30 or 38 for scanning. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

All the Pulsar Trail and Helions are great units. I own the Helion XP38 and the XQ38 Trail. The thing to watch out for is the Helion XQs would be fine as a scanner but their FOV is relatively narrow and their magnification very high for a coyote calling monocular. The XQ30 isn't too bad at 2.5X (mag) and 12.4x9.3 (FOV) but by the time you get to the Helion XQ50 it is at 4.1x (mag) and a narrow field of view of 7.5x5.6. It all depends on terrain and usage. For me, I am hunting wide open terrain, so it is easier for me to hunt with a broader FOV. If a person is hunting woods with small openings or over bait, etc it might be totally different.

Helion XP50: $3999: 2.5x-20:(640 core): 12.4x9.3: 1800m
Helion XP38: $3799: 1.9x-15.2:(640 core): 16.3x12.3: 1350m
Helion XP28: $3449: 1.4x-11.2:(640 core): 22x16.6: 1000m
Helion XQ50: $3299: 4.1x-16.4:(384 core): 7.5x5.6: 1800
Helion XQ38: $2999: 3.1x-12.4:(384 core): 9.8x7.4: 1350
Helion XQ30: $2499: 2.5x-10:(384 core): 12.4x9.3: 900m

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: sjansanybody have any experience with the pulsar helion xq 30. Just getting setup for night hunting and thinking of the Trail xq50 for shooting and the helion xq30 or 38 for scanning. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

All the Pulsar Trail and Helions are great units. I own the Helion XP38 and the XQ38 Trail. The thing to watch out for is the Helion XQs would be fine as a scanner but their FOV is relatively narrow and their magnification very high for a coyote calling monocular. The XQ30 isn't too bad at 2.5X (mag) and 12.4x9.3 (FOV) but by the time you get to the Helion XQ50 it is at 4.1x (mag) and a narrow field of view of 7.5x5.6. It all depends on terrain and usage. For me, I am hunting wide open terrain, so it is easier for me to hunt with a broader FOV. If a person is hunting woods with small openings or over bait, etc it might be totally different.

Helion XP50: $3999: 2.5x-20:(640 core): 12.4x9.3: 1800m
Helion XP38: $3799: 1.9x-15.2:(640 core): 16.3x12.3: 1350m
Helion XP28: $3449: 1.4x-11.2:(640 core): 22x16.6: 1000m
Helion XQ50: $3299: 4.1x-16.4:(384 core): 7.5x5.6: 1800
Helion XQ38: $2999: 3.1x-12.4:(384 core): 9.8x7.4: 1350
Helion XQ30: $2499: 2.5x-10:(384 core): 12.4x9.3: 900m

Thanks so much for the info. So apparently you opt for the thermal on the gun as well instead of thermal to scan and NV to shoot?

Originally Posted By: old catI would not spend any more on a scanner than I had to. I can tell you, you won't go wrong with the xq 30f. If I was buying a new scanner that would be it. They don't make the hd19a any more, & I don't know if you can find an xd19a. The difference in price is well worth it. Clarity is better, distance is better, & id is better. I have used all 3 I mentioned. If I can help more let me know. I have a good nv scope in white phosphors for sale if interested.

Hey old cat,

Sounds like you use thermal to shoot with as well. Curious, tell me about the scope.

Originally Posted By: sjans Thanks so much for the info. So apparently you opt for the thermal on the gun as well instead of thermal to scan and NV to shoot?

In ND where I hunt, Night Vision is legal but no IR, so this diminishes some of the advantage of NV. Yes, I scan and shoot with thermal. To date, no issues with pos ID, but I do agree if a farm dog about the size of a coyote came to a call, it could be hard to distinguish. I have had one farm dog come in to the call this year, but it was a 100lb lab barking all the way in, so it was pretty easy to tell especially with a collar and I was pretty close to a farm, so no issues.
thumbup1.gif
In probably 95%+ of the locations where I hunt, it is remote enough where any canine animal is going to be a coyote. Once they are in shooting range, I know it is a canine and by the way it moves, lopes, etc am very confident when I pull the trigger it is a coyote. I haven't walked up to a coyote wondering yet. After going thermal, it would be hard to go back.

would it be feasible to scan with a traditional "red light" like a headlamp and shoot with a thermal. I ask this because purchasing two thermals at the same time may be difficult.

You will see them coming from so much further away with thermal than anything else. If you can't afford thermal for both, then I would scan with thermal and shoot with NV or lights.

Back