Big Letdown! FOXPRO FUSION

tesoro

Hey I've called in my share of varmints over the last 30 yrs in Oregon but only by using mouth calls. It wasnt an activity I took seriously but I decided to 'get into it' this winter and used this forum for lots of info. Thanks! I already had everything needed other than a hi-tec radio controlled remote caller which sounded like it would be fun and extra productive. I decided from my readings that the Fusion is considered to be up there on the top of the innovative list for features and portability. So I headed down to sportmans warehouse today and shelled out 450 bucks for one.

Anyhow I got home and anxiously unpacked it. Yes the features are slick and in no time I had it up and running tormenting my wife's cats. The features are not earth shattering in this age of app development etc but I can imagine that it was long overdue for the avid varminter. The company support for scripts and free files is great. I hear customer service is great. Most think Foxpro is the [beeep].

However IMO the construction of the unit and the remote radio is unacceptable for that kind of money. It is zero percent water and moisture resistant. Yup zero percent. The warranty says 5 years for parts but NOT for water damage. Huh?

The battery compartment lid is hard plastic on plastic without a soft rubber gasket. The exposed mother board is right by the battery compartment! The rubber jack plug covers are of a real low grade rubber and dont snap firmly into the holes and even the hinges are mounted upside down so the rain would seep in easily... One of the 4 caps dosent even stay in place out of the box! And the seam for the handle and case that runs around the entire middle of the case is not sealed. I can stick my mouth on the seam in various places and blow air into the guts of the unit!

And the remote is worse. Zero weather and dust proofing. I can effortlessly blow into the case via the rubber side buttons or any seam. The battery lid is even less sealed than the main unit. My tv remote is 10X better sealed!

AND this $450 unit is designed to be used out in the field in full elements??!! For that kind of money I would expect it to be completely sealed from light weather and dust dirt etc. I am of a marine background and am used to about everything having some degree of weatherproofing. Even cheap 20 dollar chinese portable weather radios have rubber gaskets or o-rings on all seams with battery compartment lids with 2 screws to lock em down tight on a gasket.

For me this product is a huge fail for those reasons. And the sad part is that it would cost so little in production to remedy these issues. And on top of that I just drove 60 miles in the rain to get my new toy and now I have to drive another 60 miles to get my money back!

I wouldnt be writing this if it were 99 bucks. If it were I would dig out a tube of silicone. I have never written a bi**ch complaint before and am not that kind of guy. But you can buy alot of cool shooting stuff for 450 bucks that will last an eternity. I just dont see this lasting that long due to the conditions it is intended to be used under.

I am going to look at some other makes and if I run into the same situation then It will be back to the simple, cheap, tried and proven method!

Sorry Foxpro if this stings but you deserve it! Get with the program.

I have used a lot of Fox Pro calls and have never felt he way you do about any of their products. Your first day owning one and you criticize without ever using it. I have used all of mine in every condition other than heavy rain and never had an issue. In fact the same remote you complain about I use regularly. Maybe before complaining you should have done some research or even tried the call you bought. You may as well stick to hand calls be ause I highly doubt that you will be satisfied with anything you buy. Sorry if this stings but you asked for it.

In this day and age of app development, why not order it from APC pre-programmed, free shipping, and the brown Santa delivers it to the door. Don’t forget the fuel, prob another $50. I would return it and buy a Flextone.

I bought the Fusion when they first came out, I was pre-order #1 at APC.
I probably have well over a thousand hours on mine, I've used the remote so much that the words are rubbed off of some of the buttons. I have not had one problem. I turn it on, it works.
No it is not waterproof, neither is my thermal or my NV scope.
If my Fusion crapped out tomorrow I would have another one en route to me as soon as I could get it ordered.

I have used every electronic predator call I know of and would put my foxpros up agains any of them. Not to mention the CS at foxpro is the absolute best. Use your new call and enjoy it! I call in light rains and snow and all kinds of other crap and have never had to worry about my call not working

There is a big difference between waterproof and weather proof. My complaint is that the Fusion is not weatherproofed at all. This is the first higher dollar outdoor gadget that I have seen that isnt weatherproofed in the slightest way. I cant see it lasting that long in the wet conditions where I live and hunt.

If it were me, I would send it back, get a CS24-c and be done with it.

I think the CS24-C is what you are looking for.

It is tried and tested from a lot of people, and again, I think that you will be happy with that

And it’s $399 from APC or foxpro direct

Originally Posted By: seasleyIf it were me, I would send it back, get a CS24-c and be done with it.

I think the CS24-C is what you are looking for.

It is tried and tested from a lot of people, and again, I think that you will be happy with that

And it’s $399 from APC or foxpro direct

but, it is the same remote control unit. so if he is not happy with the one he has now he will not be happy with the one with a cs24 remote.

the caller itself would be more weatherproof for sure. could probably drop it in a lake and it would still work and call fish.

True.

If you want something that has NO bells and whistles, simple punch and play, look at a wildlife technologies MA-MAX

The remote is not backlit, no display, and is simple punch and play

You do have to keep a sound list in front of you for your sounds, and it is $200 higher than the fusion, and is heavier

I have a fusion, a lucky duck revolt, and a WT MAXX, and have owned ALOT of callers over the years.

I’m not going to try and start a pissing match on callers, but if you want a heavy duty built caller, with a simple punch and play, then WT would be my recommendation for you to try.

But as I said, it is $589

My WT has taken a beating, been dropped numerous times, been ran over by a cow, and it keeps on going.

Last edited:
Thx for all the suggestions. I do want the programmable remote with full bells and whistles and 300+ yd range. But I also want it to be dust and water resistant. I dont consider than an unreasonable demand for my application. Will keep looking. If not avail then will use phone +app +1000yd bluetooth5 range extender +weatherproof bluetooth stereo speakers.

it will not give you problems unless you literally submerge it in water.

I have had my shockwave in a rain storm, sprayed it with scent killer, its all dusty and still works perfectly. bloody/muddy it doesn't care

if it has any problems call foxpro and they will more than likely have a new one at you door step in 2 days with a call tag for the old one.

if all the closures were fitted with gaskets it would condensate inside causing corrosion. it needs to be vented for changing atmospheric conditions allowing it to dry out.

rest assured, it is a good product with tons of sounds and more free sounds on the website.

Originally Posted By: tesoro If not avail then will use phone +app +1000yd bluetooth5 range extender +weatherproof bluetooth stereo speakers.

Good luck.

Hey in the winter we have weather proof clothing, rifles, scopes, binos, watches, boots etc etc...so why not also have a weatherproof 450 dollar e-caller as part of your kit? Thats all I was bit**ing about - build quality for the money! I dont get why noone would acknowldege that it wouldnt be a bad idea for the company to weatherproof their high end products so they will last longer in adverse elements or survive a mishap. why not? I never said the foxpro isnt a great system. They have great marketing and cs and I assume they would repair/replace if got normal water damage or fungus on circuit board etc. I returned mine and will get one that is less likely to quit working on a hunt if speakers or remote are subjected to multiple downpours or wind up in a creek with the hunter. My winter hunting environment is such that it can be clear then drizzle and then dump rain off and on all day long. Eventually everything gets wet in the coastal pacific northwest so the gear needs to be able to handle it.

Anyhow happy huntin everyone. I have one lion and one bear to get in the next 29 days..

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruWho makes the waterproof E caller you are looking to purchase? I am curious..

The only one I have found so far is:

https://convergenthunting.com

The developer says can leave it out in the rain all day long. If you 'drop it in a lake' turn it off and let it dry out for a few days before using. Works with the iphone 8 which is fully waterproof. Lifetime warranty on parts. It is line of sight like all of them with max range 100 yds due to enhanced blue tooth built in antenna. Li-ion rechargeable battery -no aa's. Lasts 10hrs on continual rock n roll type music so about 3 days of normal hunting calling. 4 hr recharge off 12v usb. Multiple free apps to download depending on what you are hunting for. Has a picattiny mount for video with calling controls overlay so you can film what you are shooting and use the controls. Reviews are good from people who understood the line of sight constraints.

It's only water resistant unless you can fully submerge it. Most electronic companies won't make that claim, even watch companies. Most watches say water RESISTANT up to xxx meters or ft.

Back