80% lowers dos and don'ts

sjaustin

Hey guys has anyone ever milled out their own lower and have some advice of things they would've done different or any advice?

Make sure that you have the manufacturer’s instructions in front of you for the first one. If you’re using a drill press to do the milling, get what’s known as an XY vice to clamp the lower into so that you can make microscopic adjustments as you do the milling. A source of air to clear out the shavings as you go is a definite plus. And measure, measure, measure!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sjaustinHey guys has anyone ever milled out their own lower and have some advice of things they would've done different or any advice?

Don't use a dremel.

Know what you are doing prior to purchasing.

I still do not see any use in buying one, unless you own a milling machine and know how to use it.
It is like making your own beer when you can go buy a six pack, silly.

It can be done with jigs and a hand drill, but doing so is a clusterf*ck. If you have a mill, it's still not really worthwhile.

There are two reasons I believe folks do it: 1) to say they did, and 2) because they have some tinfoil hat condition where they want a "ghost gun." In most states, your gun is MORE of a ghost if you buy a used rifle through private sale than it would be if you purchased an 80% lower. As an example - I have LOTS of firearms I've legally purchased with cash, no paperwork anywhere. Alternatively, every time I've ordered 80% lowers, the selling company has a sales invoice record, and my credit card statement reflects the purchase... Which one is a ghost?

I built a pair of 80%'s for my wife and I, serial numbers (not required, except the fact I SBR'd them) are our initials and wedding date, and custom laser engraving done on the magwells. It was something special to say I did it, and the only reason I bought 80%'s was to have absolute control over the engraving locations and designs. I paid WAY more in the long run than I would have to have simply bought a couple lowers cash, or rifles from an individual.

you dont build an 80% to save $$. anyone who suggests otherwise is likely to offer to sell you a deed to a bridge next, or some 'amazing waterfront property' for a deal.

even when stripped lowers were still up in price, by the time you buy the jig and tools, you could still have bought several lowers for the cost of doing one.

the only way to even get close to a wash would be to go in with a couple buddies, get a half dozen or more 80% and share the cost of the jig and tooling. even then you were basically at the price of nice lower.

i'd like to mess with one eventually, just for the satisfaction of doing it. make a neat conversation piece with your friends type of build.
smile.gif

I agree Plant. I'm going to do a couple this Winter just to do them. One of my friends has the all the goodies and I have a source for cheap blanks from another friend. Networking pays off.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou dont build an 80% to save $$. anyone who suggests otherwise is likely to offer to sell you a deed to a bridge next, or some 'amazing waterfront property' for a deal.

even when stripped lowers were still up in price, by the time you buy the jig and tools, you could still have bought several lowers for the cost of doing one.

the only way to even get close to a wash would be to go in with a couple buddies, get a half dozen or more 80% and share the cost of the jig and tooling. even then you were basically at the price of nice lower.

i'd like to mess with one eventually, just for the satisfaction of doing it. make a neat conversation piece with your friends type of build.
smile.gif

I never did suggest such. My point was merely they can be had for a reasonable price about anywhere and when it arrives, it is complete. If you need to "complete" one to achieve that "sense of accomplishment", that is your own prerogative. In the end, both are stripped lowers that achieve the same goal. Just not what I would want to spend my time doing, that's all....YMMV

yup. thats why to date i have yet to do one. theres no need.

still be a neat project to futter around with just for fun
smile.gif

Back