Coyote language????

Ruger2506

1st set this AM. Had a coyote start barking back at us. Not sure what that means. Would that yote come in? Is it hung up? Do we back out and reposition on him at another spot?

There are lots of different barks. The "Your Busted" vocalization is very distinct. Once you hear it, you will remember it. If I have coyotes that vocally respond and I typically move to 100% vocalizations if I haven't already. If it is "Your Busted", you probably aren't getting this coyote to come in. If it is more a territorial bark, etc, you can often get them to commit by getting them more angry. I will usually use some type of super aggressive vocalization back (the older the coyote sounds, the deeper the sound of the barking, howling I will respond with) followed by either fighting sounds, submissive female sounds, or kiyis.

Usually the "we see you" sounds will be somewhat similar to what you would hear from a domestic canine that heard a sound he didn't like. And yes they are letting other coyotes in the area know that something's up. What I have found is most often those yotes won't come in, but there often will be others further away that may well come in, so it is still worth making the stand.

Originally Posted By: Ruger2506 What is the busted sound? After looking into it, the dog barking at us was challenging us.

Here are 2 examples:

The first is from YouTube:
Busted #1

The 2nd is from a Tony Tebbe tutorial here on the site:
Busted#2

To me, it is a combination of them both. It is kind of like they are laughing at you, followed by a howl. It sounds a little like a challenge but it is quite different.

If a coyote is challenging me, I smile because this means they are aggressive and I can usually use that against them.

Thanks. That helps. Had 6-7 sets today. Saw 3 Yotes and had the one challenge. Lots of other game seen as well. Fun day. Had the 6 year old with us. He is learning.

Last edited:
When I first started calling coyotes with a cassette caller quite often I was being challenged by coyotes and I thought I was busted. I thought the challenge sounds I was hearing was alarm barking.

If a coyote challenges you there is a very good chance that you can call in that coyote or coyotes.

I have Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound as one of my pre-set sounds on full blast volume on my FoxPro e-callers. I can challenge the coyotes right back very quickly and they don't like it. The more you can tick that coyote off the better chance you have of calling it in.

Last Wednesday morning on my first stand when it was barely light enough to see I had some coyotes calling about 800 to 1000 yards straight down wind of me and there was a single coyote around 500 to 700 yards away straight up wind of me calling back to the coyotes behind me.

I was going to start out with a rabbit distress sound but since I had coyotes on both side of me I started out with "Coyote Pair " sound.

Coyote Pair had not played for 15 seconds when the coyote up wind of me started challenging my Coyote Pair. I hit my pre-set button and challenged him back with Male Coyote Challenge 4 on full volume.

After challenging this coyote for about 30 seconds I switched to Pup Distress 3 on full volume. About two minutes later a male coyote was standing right in front of my FoxPro so I shot him with my shotgun.

Learn what the coyote male and female challenges sound like. If you get challenged by coyotes they think the sounds you are making may be caused by other coyotes. If they think you are a coyote the odds are now in your favor.

If you challenge them back with a sound that sounds just like the sound they are making it really ticks them off. If they go silent they may be headed your way.

If they keep challenging you go to coyote growls, pup distress, pup screams, coyote death cry or some kiyi sounds and then back to the challenge sounds.

Mixing up these coyotes sounds can trigger a ticked off coyote or coyotes to come charging right in.

Good stuff Derby. I didn't use to be much of an advocate for coyote vocals (mainly because it usually slowed the game down too much), but at times it can be pretty effective as you attest to. Plus it is pretty cool to fool Wiley coyote at his own game.

Last edited:
derbyacresbob has a pretty good scientific system mapped out there.
Myself when I want to play the challenge game I simply mimic each sound they make and they tend to get irritated enough and come in.
First time I did this it was a bit eerie as they got close in the brush while making serious challenges. Worth it and exciting.

Just got a dose of that on the fenceline the other day, coyote stayed 300 (+-) meters out, and was just giving me and the dogs the dickens. I was informed it was a warning howl/bark. I knew I was busted, I was in a pick up on the fence, the yote was interested in the girls. He kept it up, even following us, until I busted a poor shot at him at about 400 yards. It finally shut him up, all bet it was a warning (miss) shot.

Back