First of the season is down

fratri

Small female coyote down.
Not sure where to begin as it happened so fast. I got to the area just at legal light. With the wind blowing strong out of the North West, I decided last minute/second to change my sitting location.
I setup the ecaller about 30 yds to my right. Went to sit under the tree, got comfortable and began the calling sequence…. The dying rabbit sound didn’t play 30 seconds before I see a flash/blurr right in front of me, (caught me totally by surprise-she was moving really fast) . Seems like there was no time to think……instinct takes over…..
I gave out a couple wolf, wolf sounds trying to stop her but no……….. she was on a mission. As she reached the ecaller she knew something was up so turned to run back into the bush, all the while I am wolfing at her trying to get her to stop…
I follow her through the scope hoping she stops or slows for a second but no she is going full speed, as she just about reaches the bush I have no choice but to take the shot on this running fast coyote…….
Bang, she goes down and doesn’t move…..
It wasn’t a far shot (only 60yds) but she was moving fast…..Total time on stand was less than 1 minute(45 seconds?)….

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

I like your pictures and stories you put diagrams in to give me a more basic Idea of how it happend ..understanding how the coyote approaches is very important because most of us beginners do not understand the wind..and while we setup like we see on videos and pictures it is still not correct and the coyotes wind us before we can even see them.

Originally Posted By: duckstopperGood job on a quick response.

Where's your snow?

We got lots of it (snow) now and we got the cold temps too... The cold I can handle, the heavy deep snow, not so much and that is what we have now, heavy deep snow which sucks. Makes for a lot of hard walking

Back