Fireforming with Cream of Wheat?

What some are not understanding is some very, very basic facts.

Headspace will vary with new brass.

Standard go gauge is a -.004 crush. Brass I have checked will vary up to .008(extreme case) on an average and I have seen larger(I am not talking about Lapua or IMI).

Brass that I have checked, will vary in headspace length new out of the box. So, you pick a normal -.004 headspace and you may have cases that are just flopp'en around in the chamber. This
-.004 is often not enough "crush" fit, and is minimal at best. ON my own guns, I like a 0.010 crush fit, and I have used up to .025.

Many gunsmiths do not chamber properly for an ackley improved case. The whole idea of jamming the bullet up against the lands to keep the case up against the bolt face is a croc of crap because the firing pin drives the bullet in deeper in the case, causing varying lengths of fire formed brass. You will then uniform them when you full length size them. In the mean time while neck sizing, you will think that you may have some hot loads due to various headspace lengths of your cases with premature tight bolt closing on loaded rounds.

NO wonder some hate Ackley cases. I learned early on to send the gunsmith 5 new cases and have him set headspace for a snug fit on the new brass. He can determine quickly which as the shortest headspace, and what you want to achieve is a length where you set the headspace on your cases with just a slight snug fit closing the bolt. All you are touching when you run them through the full length sizer is touching the area right at the shoulder neck junction, and bumping back a couple of .001.

I like the higher velocity attainable and certainly the accuracy achieved from all ackley cases that I have played around with. The case grips the chamber wall to produce less bolt thrust, also. I specify to the gunsmith that I do not want a super slick chamber, and this is to aid in the case gripping the chamber wall.

I think that I have trimmed ackley cases once in my life and I used a mid pressure fire forming load on that 50 cases which lead to premature case failue within 10 rounds...it does not take much.

Last edited:
Just for the heck of it, I fire formed standard .280 from 270 and 30-06 cases. I first ran the 270 cases through a 308 expander button/decamping unit. Then I ran all cases through a 280 sizing die to create a false shoulder. After, I annealed the necks. I then used some pistol powder I had, Power Pistol topped with COW. I then put a few drops of super glue in each.

The cases formed great, and when I reloaded those again, they shot the exact same as my 280 cases, POI and velocity. I’ll be doing this again after my 280 is rebarrelled to 280 AI.

Well, I have been working straight nights since Hurricane Harvey came to town in August. A hour drive each way and a 12 hour shift leaves a time crunch for deer hunting. Luckily theee is a 10k acre lease across the county road from my house and I can make it to my stand just as the sun comes up. We have had a light fog that hangs just over the top of the grass the past few mornings and that has caused me to miss a couple of deer because I cant aee through my scope, what I can with my naked eyes.

I have berated my Kimber on here several times over the years because of the brass and accuracy issues that it came with. I had never hunted with this rifle until today. This rifle wears the best glass that I own, a Zeiss HD. A big female coyote showed up at 0700 to allow for a bullet and optics function check. A 150 ballistic tip through the neck at 125 yards is not fur friendly but it is effective. I may start dragging this Kimber around more, good optics sure are nice on foggy days. First kill with an ackley.

Last edited:
Back