Hunting boots for colder weather and need to have good support.

zr600

I’m looking for a new pair of insulated hunting boots I live in North Dakota so the temps can really get cold and be above freezing too. I have had feet I found my work boots which are Nicks hand made boots work great for me, they have a ton of arch support and just support in general. I haven’t found anything esle that makes my feet happy lol but they don’t make them insulated warm enough for what I need. Now what would you guys recommend I have been thinking about the kenetreks.

if you're close to a cabela's, go try on their ultralight hunters by meindel.

mine felt like a pair of worn cofmy sneakers out of the box - great arch support, etc.

they're available from no insulation all the way up to at least 800 gram, and i think theres a 1k or 1200 gram too.

hth

A good sweat wicking liner sock coupled with merino wool insulating socks go a long way toward warmth.

I have a pair of Whites elk guide pac boots, very warm, good with snowshoes. They are not made anymore, but Kenetrek makes a similar boot-13 inch leather/rubber pac. Schnees makes a similar boot,the tall leather lace ups on these style boots provide good support.

Last edited:
Nicks, whites, and now some other guy all started at the same place. Each one just a lead that decided to be his own boss. If you call they could probably build you whatever you need. Theyre all a few hour drive from me and everyone on my fire crew went in and spent a couple hours having a custom boot designed for em. I think nick's is the one most of the guys went to and said they were willing to do whatever was wanted.

HEAVY, but hard to beat Mickey Mouse boots! Good arch support, 100% waterproof, and warm. For sitting the white Bunny Boots are even warmer but HEAVIER YET!

After buying a pair of kennetreks last year I don't know if I'll ever buy anything else. I bought the 400 gram set from scheels in minot when they had a huge sale on them last year. I did a lot of late season rooster hunting in them and this year I put about 35 miles on them down on the south side of the lake in some rough stuff the opening weekend of deer season. After dragging out 3 muledeer bucks, my feet were the only part of me that did not hurt. I live up here in the Great white north that is North Dakota as well and as long as a guy is moving these boots are fine all winter long. The most important thing with these boots, just like with other boots, is don't tie them too tight. Restriction of blood flow will cause your feet to get cold faster.

I used to wear sorel boots with felt liners for work(construction outdoors in ND changing liners at lunch). For hunting I've gone to regular insulated boots for coyote hunting, about the time my feet start to get cold it is time to head for the next stand. If I;m going to be standing around(ice fishing) I have insulated overboots and if it's really cold I drop a chemical heat pack in them.

I’m going to have to put in a vote for the Mucks Arctic Sport boots. Comfortable, lightweight and warm.

I’m in Michigan and it can get down right cold here too.

For the last 4 years all I wear in the winter time is the military Mickey Mouse boots made by Bata. Very comfortable never get wet and never get cold. And can be found for 75 to a hundred bucks.

Meindel. I have had their perfekt hunter boot going on 4 or 5 years. They log MANY miles a season. From chasing elk in Colorado, to chasing coyotes on snowshoes all winter long. You will get what you pay for.

Update:

We had some extremely cold temps hit here in Michigan. My feet froze in the Muck Arctic Sports. I bought these and will be testing them for the first time tonight in below 0 temps. I’ll let ya all know how it goes.

$110

UPDATE 12/29/17

I spent 4 hours in these boots out in deep snow and 7 degrees. Obviously, I was thinking about my feet a bit, being that they are new boots. But after a while, I had totally forgotten all about my feet. Not even for one second were they cold.

Here’s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJLPX4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bDMrAbF43680D

Last edited:
Back