Ozark squirrel forecast...

GC

Spoke with a guy I know who is a squirrel hunting fanatic. This guy on a good year kills over 400 squirrels. He tells me the mast crop is really low this year and so are the squirrel numbers. Said he will have to hunt his butt off to top 100 this year.

400 Squirrels??? That would take a lot of gravy !!!

I was getting worried, but the Bur Oak in the back yard suddenly made a pile of acorns. Three weeks ago I couldn't see any, but now they are forming pretty well.

Yeah no kidding, 400 per year the last two years. Guy is a serious squirrel hunter and a no BS kinda guy, he is a guy I believe and trust. Back when I hunted squirrels more seriously, pre-bowhunting deer days, my dad and I both would kill over 100 each. That's easy enough on a decent year but I never came close to the numbers this guy does.

For what little it is worth...My mother likes to pick up and pick out walnuts for her baking. Done it for a ton of years . This year she said of all the nuts she has picked out only one has been rotten. I have also noticed a pretty good number of squirrels on my hikes through the countryside. Maybe you fellas oughta cross the state line and hit some of the public ground around some of the reservoirs around here. Kansas isn't ALL bad.
wink.gif

I feel like in central MO and NE MO we have a ton of acorns and hickory nuts. More than last year. Wondering if its just regional. I need to get out and shoot some squirrels! Been distracted by antelope and deer so far.

Well I've been bowhunting a couple times and the acorns are stupid thick. Like ankle deep kinda thick. With that said, there aren't many squirrels this year in my neck of the woods. Usually you can see a dozen from the treestand and the noisy little buggers get a bit annoying at times. Not that way this year.

Sounds like we have the same here in Oklahoma, RBO11. Bumper crop of acorns this year. Every time I climb in a tree with my bow I see a ton of tree-rats!

Leaves are down and the squirrels are on the ground now and easier to see. Missourians can kill ten squirrels per day and if a guy covered a little ground and shot straight a full limit could be had in a half day hunt fairly easily.

Back