quick easy battery pack for Pulsar apex

Alan D

go to walmart get the blackweb 5x cell phone charger battery . has two slim flat batteies inside case . desolder and remove battery packs from circut board. seperate packs and solder together. 3.7 volts per pack you will get 9.5 volts after both packs are soldered together and fully charged . find correct plug to match Pulsar external conector and solder leads . I used electric tape to secure packs together and insulate leads . zip tie a mini riser to pack and attatch to side of scope picatany rail . Pulsar scope has voltage range from 8 to 12 volts . the pack will last for hours . $19 bucks at walmart.

That's great information, would be much easier to follow the tutorial with pictures and links. The connector is a male 5.5X2.1mm

Which Blackweb pack did you use there are several mAh choices?

Can you post pictures?

For slightly more money and far less grief I bought this, runs my HD19a for several nights at a time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-6800mAh-Rec...ssPageName=STRK

Here's one in stock, don't know why it shows Canadian currency, it ships out of California

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Power-DC-...2214079789?hash

They are on Amazon also

https://www.amazon.com/6800mAh-Rechargea...=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s

Last edited:
10,000mah each pack, blackweb 5X battery on box . ebay battery would be better choice with charger. I just wanted something not so bulky and lots of reserve .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alan Dgo to walmart get the blackweb 5x cell phone charger battery . has two slim flat batteies inside case . desolder and remove battery packs from circut board. seperate packs and solder together. 3.7 volts per pack you will get 9.5 volts after both packs are soldered together and fully charged . find correct plug to match Pulsar external conector and solder leads . I used electric tape to secure packs together and insulate leads . zip tie a mini riser to pack and attatch to side of scope picatany rail . Pulsar scope has voltage range from 8 to 12 volts . the pack will last for hours . $19 bucks at walmart.

One blackweb 5x cell phone charger battery has 2 batteries inside?

or

Originally Posted By: Alan D10,000mah each pack, blackweb 5X battery on box . ebay battery would be better choice with charger. I just wanted something not so bulky and lots of reserve .

2 packs of blackweb 5x cell phone charger battery and solder them together?

the 5X has 2 batteries inside . you will only need to buy one blackweb 5x pack and bottom end has a cover that spaps off and exposes the two screws remove screws and slide the two batteies out and seperate them , they are glued together. desolder the positive and negative leads first , cut the leads and flip batteries over and solder positive and negative leads together , that will double the voltage . then solder your output lead with your 5.5x2.1 connector on the end . positive will be center of connector. be sure and be careful not to let the leads touch . put electric tape between them just in case.

The 20k mAh Blackweb is $30 and will put out 10 mAh when done or roughly 30% more than a 6800mAh pack that you don't have to modify.

The 10k mAh Blackweb will put out 5k mAh when done.

You keep refering to....

Originally Posted By: Alan Dthe 5X has 2 batteries inside . you will only need to buy one blackweb 5x pack
...yet you never specify which one you are using, there are several models.

I can buy a 6800 mAh pack for $30 which gets me several nights. that is better than all the Blackweb packs I've seen other than the 20K. I don't see the benefit to modify something when it's available in the market same price??????

Last edited:
not sure which batteries the bigger ones are using , I do know the 5x uses the slim flat packs . I like the slim compact batteries for my use . the big ones might use the 18650 batteries not sure . give me a email or I can text you some pics to who ever might want to build one

Thanks, but I'll stick to the 6800 battery pack. It serves as a counterweight on the back of my helmet with my HD19a up front.

I'm a DIY guy but that seems like a lot of fooling around with little to no reward based on other options available.

I have another pack on the way with a splitter to run my Photon and DVR.

Why not just purchase a 3s lipo battery for a quadcopter and solder up a pigtail with a proper jack for connecting it to the thermal. A 3s is about 11.1 volts

The only downside is you need to invest in a lipo charger.

I had to do this for my IR defense MKII thermal scope with a 2S lipo (7.4 volts). I had purchased the external cellphone USB battery and jack from UNV but for some reason my MKII likes operating with a little more than the five volts you get out of as cellphone usb battery pack.

I've seen them from 450mah all the way up to 7000mah on the getfpv.com website. quite a few on amazon too.

I have a 5000mah 2s on my MKII 35mm and I ran it 12 hours over a four day period and it did not fail me.

Originally Posted By: Shaun SimmaI've seen them from 450mah all the way up to 7000mah on the getfpv.com website. quite a few on amazon too.

I have a 5000mah 2s on my MKII 35mm and I ran it 12 hours over a four day period and it did not fail me.

I couldn't find one at 5000mAH but they had 3 11.1v 5200-5500 from $53-60. I assume you need 12v.

https://www.getfpv.com/batteries/commerc...ery_voltage=203

Those seem like a good option and a lot less work than connecting 2 5v batteries in series. Not sure the connection on your MKII but if its 5.5 X 2.1mm these have more advertised capacity and no modification.

https://www.amazon.com/6800mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Battery-Storage/dp/B00AR74TUS

I'm all for DIY but again just don't see the benefit if another option is available for less (no) work and less money. That pack runs my Pulsar 2-3 nights at a time. Could maybe go longer but I always charge it after a couple nights.

Last edited:
Back