late morning pair

Snowshoes

This morning was another cool morning at + 2F but at least it was calm. The first spot I walked into didn’t have as many coyote tracks as I hoped but there was evidence of a few in the fresh blanket of snow from a couple days ago.
It wasn’t long after getting settled in, that the deer hunting truck traffic started rolling down the old road 600 yards to the east. The only coyote I did see was traveling at such a speed that I’m not sure the 223AI could have kept up in a race.
No use sticking around here so it was off to a spot where I knew I would have to myself. To the creek valley was my destination and it was getting late enough that I figured it would be a spot and stalk type hunt.
Parked by a large stack of bales and from there made my way towards the valley. A quarter mile walk and some glassing produces a coyote on the flats to the west. Some more glassing picked up an additional coyote on the flats and 3 much closer coyotes in the hills to the northwest. These closer coyotes attention were on the pair below them and paid me no attention. I hurried my way to some better cover and then slowly made my way closer to them. Took a range of 321 yards and decided I could still get closer. Cut further into the trees and cautiously made my way to the west with only a few stops to check on the coyotes who were now bedded. Took a range of the closest one at 216 yards but all I could see was its back. The other two had gotten up and wandered over the creek bank now, so I’m down to a single. The lay of the land would let me get closer yet and in a spot where I should have a clear shot so I was once again on the move. Only made a few feet when I kicked up a coyote from the willow trees below me. This coyote wasn’t overly scared as it trotted west to heavy timber. Never had a decent chance for a shot so let that coyote go. My bedded coyote hadn’t budged and was now my main focus again. Worked my way closer using a clump of willows to hide my approach and was relieved to see the snoozing coyote still in place when I skirted around the trees. Sat down and ranged the coyote 3 different times which came back at 149 yards every time. Set the rifle up, then zoomed the scope to 22X before giving a few lip squeaks. The coyote doesn’t move a hair, so I pull out a hand call but before I get it to my lips a big black raven swoops down and lands a few feet away from the coyote. The coyotes head pops up and the raven then flies off. The furry head is down almost as fast as it came up, so I tried lip squeaks again. The head is up and looking my way which now has the cross hairs set between its blinkers. With a touch of the trigger, Mr. coyote is put into a permanent sleep.
Walked down to where the coyote lay and was amazed at the number of coyote tracks on the creek channel.

Took a picture, hooked up the drag rope and started my way to the top. Half way up I’m halted in my tracks with the view of a coyote standing at the edge of the trees to the east of me. I swing the rifle off my shoulder and set on the shooting sticks, cross hairs on the coyotes chest and down it goes. Later ranged at 169 yards.

No idea why this coyote presented me such a fine opportunity but glad it did!
I will likely be back there tomorrow to see if I can connect on one of the others!

Congrats to another great hunt. Amazing that sometimes the coyotes just want to be shot. Would be nice if we could get some snow around here. Again thanks for the great write up and pictures.

Another nice write up. Congrats.
That's a pile of tracks. Snowshoes I would definitely be back there tomorrow,I'm sure we will see a post tomorrow,good luck.

Thats a nice coyoteee highway you got there. I see more yotes coming out of that spot in the near future.
smile.gif

Thank you all for the comments,
Well best laid plans sometimes have a tendency to fail. Off to the valley before first light and hoped to be set up at good vantage point for legal shooting light.
Got busted by one coyote on the walk in and it decided to give warning barks to all its buddies. That sent a few coyotes across the valley on a fast trot. Try as I might, I could not locate the yappy coyote. The coyotes barks continued and only stopped when I felt the breeze at the back of my neck. I really hate calm mornings, the breeze is so unpredictable. My scent now flooded the valley as I watched more coyotes vacate the area in a hurry. It was a long frustrating walk back to the truck and just to add insult to injury, I see a coyote standing very close to where I had sat as I'm driving away ( I was a half mile away)
From there I drive to another spot that usually holds a coyote or two. As I walked in, I kick a coyote from the slough and I watch it make its way to the bush using the cattails to make its escape. I notice a second coyote walking north along the fence line, heading for the same bush. Its very calm, so I start off with mole squeaks and its not long before I see a head of a coyote peering my way. I try to get the cross hairs onto it but I was in an awkward position. Each heart beat was amplified through the scope. Tried to re-position but the coyote had me pegged and I dare not move too much. Took the shot and watched the coyote run away. Once again the walk back to the truck was not a happy one.
From there I drive to a spot that I have always planned on calling but just never made it. Drove into the field and parked the truck in a low spot. Walked westward along a fence line until I was overlooking a slough bottom that had trees around the perimeter.
Cattle to the north of the fence and one coyote walking among them. Start off with a couple howls and wait. A couple minutes pass before seeing two coyotes coming across the slough but I realize I should have set up different as I have no clear shot. I lose sight of the coyotes behind a combination of trees and cattails but know they still have to be somewhere on the slough.
It was tempting to move but figured I would sit tight and see what unfolds. Five minutes or more must have past before I see another 2 coyotes come across the slough and its not long before I get glimpses of all four. One starts trotting my way and I lose sight of it behind the bank but a minute later it pops out of the trees on my side. A 92 yard shot drops it.

I give some yelps and I see two coyotes coming back towards me. The one stops at the edge of the cattails but the other keeps coming my way. I lose sight of it for a half minute but then see it trotting towards me in the open field. A vocal bark to stop it, followed by an 84 yard shot which drops coyote number two.

I let fly with more yelps but the other coyote just barks and howls at me for a minute before heading back to the trees.

Last edited:
Just shows that not all the coyotes up north read the morning script before they began there day. Still you had a great time out in the country side.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorJust shows that not all the coyotes up north read the morning script before they began there day. Still you had a great time out in the country side.

LOL, I guess they don't read everything
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tripod3Good stalk, even better with pics. Snow sure helps identify their habits. Low ground is usually the route.
Snow sure tells a tale of recent activities. I found a trail along the rim of the valley that had similar amount of coyote traffic. Seems some wanted to basically be hid as they travelled and others wanted a trail with a view.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HuffrangerGood on ya for sharing, I'm hoping we get some snow cover here like you have.

Keep after them.
Its been warm here for the past few days and we have lost a lot of our snow
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: huntschoolCan I ask, what is that 223AI you are shooting......

Thanks
It's a Cooper Montana Varminter, Model 51. A tad on the heavy side with the NF scope but the way it shoots, I suck it up and pack the extra rifle weight.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back