Blaze Orange as camo

tripod3

Here are photos converted resembling coyote or deer vision.

[img:center][/img]

Thanks for the photos, this topic comes up often when big game season is open. We are not required to wear orange during the season when predator only hunting...but it would be wise to do so. A conservation license is all that you need during big game season. Though it does seem a waste of time and money to be calling out there where the many triggers are about. Kinda spooky near the timber line areas
smile.gif

When Orange became the law here everyone including me were disgusted and hated the stuff along with the new rules.
After learning and converting photos I was able to show myself how little harm it really was.
Since the law changed a long time ago, I cannot count the number of deer, elk, coyotes that have come less than three feet from me while wearing this type vest. No better test than that.

A number of years ago I made a gillie hooded vest with 600 sq. inches of orange stips in it, we are required to have 400. I wear an orance hat with a camo bill on it and pull the hood over the hat on the stand and off of it hiking. It seems to work well for me. Our deer hunter densities here in WA are nothing like they are in the east but big game season runs almost two months.

I never worry about having to wear orange (I DO worry about being shot by some idiot shooting at my sound!) because I KNOW that if the wind is good and I am not moving I will be quite successful. The wolf in my avatar came in to 18yds, my latest one was shot at 12! In my opinion orange is simply not an issue as far as game is concerned but it is definitely important from a safety perspective during the general big game season. Once the slobs and road hunters are safely back in their houses for the winter then I switch to snow camo and a blaze orange beanie.

Mr. jcs271 said it when he mentioned movement. Color seems to make little difference to game animals but movement will be picked up on very quickly.

Predator extreme did a good article(s) years ago on the vision spectrum, (infrared/ultraviolet) that coyotes and some other animals see in, i had those articles but seem to have lost them. Hopefully someone here has them, and can share them.

Originally Posted By: bluealteredPredator extreme did a good article(s) years ago on the vision spectrum, (infrared/ultraviolet) that coyotes and some other animals see in, i had those articles but seem to have lost them. Hopefully someone here has them, and can share them.

I don't know why no one makes a camo in the spectrum that animals can see.. Wouldn't it break up the outline a lot better than camo not in their spectrum?? regular camo would be one big glob and not so much as a break up..I think black and white camo would work good if that is how they really see things.. I also noticed that deer are less alert when I have orange vest on .. Is this because its breaking up the blob affect?? Dan..

try to think of it this way.

its not so much that they *cant* see it, it just doesnt stand out to them like it does to us.

they can see it loud and clear - just in shades of grey. the color that catches our eye as unnatural doesnt matter in their world.

when you have a world that is filled with all kinds of non-straight lines, wearing somethign like blaze without a pattern to it still stand out like any other solid color will. its lack of definition or more accurately lack of contrast - being one solid color - makes it an attraction point.

out in the real world rarely is there a bloby abscence of some pattern or another, barring a 100% cloud free sunny day where the sky is perfectly blue, or on a snowy field.

which is why blaze with camo, to an animal, is nearly as effective as a natural background color camo pattern. breaking up the shape with the overlay of stick/branch/leaf/rock - terrain in general - images is what makes you blend in and seemingly dissappear when you stop moving.

kinda see what i'm getting at?

Back