Tested: CZ 527 .17 Remington....

Acronin

I’ve been itching to try I knew 17 Remington on a coyote hunt this fall. Sunday morning as I was walking to my first day at Kyle busted me in the meadow. I got my bipod up and waited for him to stop on the top of the next hill. I ranged him at 227 yards. I had my rifle zeroed at 200. So I put the cross-hairs of my Vortex Viper on his chest behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. THWAP! The 25gr Hornady HP made him spin for 2 Seconds and then he expired.

After my first stand I had nothing called in, but as I glasses the hills I spotted a coyote 600 yds off on top of a hill laying in the sun. I tucked behind the hills and popped up within 300 yds of him still laying down. I ranged this one at 282 yds. Again I shot and again THWAP! Didn’t move.

I’m sold on this caliber. I would not hesitate to shoot a coyote out to 350 yds. The smack it makes on meat is like I’ve never heard out of any other caliber. Now to see if I can get the 32 gr Reeds to shoot!

Great write up. When you have results like that is most difficult not to fall in love isn't it?

When I found out several years ago that CZ was going to start chambering 527 Varmints in .17 Rem I immediately went and ordered me one. Topped it with a 6.5-20X Leupold and commenced to having a BeeLast! I was a critter slaughtering fool! Took it to Wyoming next prairie dog trip and perched up on a knob I proceeded to having a field (no pun intended) day on the pasture poodles. Let my buddy try a few shots with it and his exact word were "Man! How can you even miss with this thing?" It was that good.

I have a .17 Hornet 527 varmint now as my primary ground squirrel critter gitter but in no way will it take the place of that .17 Remington as far as the near and dear part goes. Not in this lifetime anyway.

Good going. Try to get that grin off your face someday. If possible.

I have a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Rem that I love but have wanted a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem for a while and they cannot be found since CZ quit manufacturing that caliber.

I dig my CZ 527 Varmint 17 Rem. I have a 527 American in .204 as well. Always wished CZ would produce the 17 Rem in the American. It would be perfect as a calling rifle IMO.

Sweet nothing like a positive first impression to fall in gun love haha. I’m also one of the non believers that now believe. The .17’s can be something special.

Originally Posted By: RePeteWelcome to the 17Rem fan club.

I'm a founding member.

Heck, you're the organizer and the first member Charlie. Its an age thingy.
shocked.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Rem that I love but have wanted a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem for a while and they cannot be found since CZ quit manufacturing that caliber.

You can always have one made off of a CZ 527 ya know.
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a Remington 700 BDL in 17 Rem that I love but have wanted a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem for a while and they cannot be found since CZ quit manufacturing that caliber.

You can always have one made off of a CZ 527 ya know.
thumbup.gif

You sure can. For send ER Shaw your action or barreled action (which is what I did when they put a heavy barrel .221 FB on for me) and they will make you a happy customer. For not much coin either. Give them a call and tell them what you want and they will take it from there.

Glad to hear that mighty .17 Remmy is treating you well. Bought my first CZ 527 this past fall and the love affair is already solidified. Can't wait to get out and spread the wings on that .17 Hornet this spring. Ground squirrels will fly!

Keep us posted on how those 32g Reeds work for you.

Love a .17 Remmy! Shot a .204 for years until I shot a buddies .17 a few years back. Needless to say, I don't shoot a .204 anymore..
thumbup1.gif

Hi, please, could you explain the reasons for your preference? Also, have you noted a difference in barrel fouling between the two calibers (i.e. .204 vs. .17 rem.)? Do you happen to know what velocities you are getting out of the .17? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Don StrengthRusty will Shaw rebarrel a Sako? Thanks. Don

No too sure about Sakos. Their phone number is 412.221.3636 so give them a call and ask.

My first 17 Remington was a model 700 I bought from a friend. He traded guns, if not weekly, then monthly. I got in to it very reasonably with dies and a bunch of brass.

My first coyote with it was one I called in to around 50 yards. The Hornady 25 grain HP shut him down so quick it was like you just turned off his switch. I saw that same performance repeated scores of times before I moved to Alaska. I had intermittent performance with the Remington 25 grain bullets. I got several pencil holes with no expansion. Both at close range and long range. I never had an issue with the Hornady 25 grain HP. Always opened up. I took a few around 300 yards but the bulk of them were from a few feet to 200 yards. There were a few other 17 bullets back them from boutique makers but none that were readily available.

The 17 Remington is my hands down favorite fur rifle chambering. I currently have a Mini Mauser left handed action with a Pacnor barrel. I need to get it in its stock and get it out in the field.

Congratulations on your 17 and good job on the first kills with it. You will love it.

Thanks for the kind remarks everybody. I have a .204, 2 .223’s, .22-250, a 6TCU (6x45 improved), and 2 .243’s. I love all of them, and I usually grab my TC Venture in .243 loaded with 55gr SBKs, or my CZ527 Varmint .223 loadedwith 50 or 53gr Vmaxs. But I’ll be honest. I’m going to keep reaching for the .17 Remington!

Why? Because it’s incredible on fur. I had my skinner show me the pelt “damage” and it was this tiny little hole on one side. That and the fact that there is no recoil, very little report and will flat out kill to 300 and would not hesitate to go to 350 if not 400 yds.

I can’t wait for bobcat season to open. I’m going to be calling river bottoms with my .17 and it’s going to be awesome.

Do most of you use the same bullet on bobcats as you do coyotes??

Originally Posted By: Acronin
Do most of you use the same bullet on bobcats as you do coyotes??

Yep....I hear a lot of guys talking about different loads for different critters but when predator calling how the he11 do they know which is gonna come to the call?

I load 25gr Nagels in my 17Rem and 20gr Nagels in my 17FB.

If I'm targeting Coyotes I take the 17Rem.....If I'm targeting cats I take the FB.....

The 17Rem isn't all that hard on Cats and the FB while not optimal will kill Coyotes at "reasonable distances".....KISS....

Back