Thinking about a Rangefinder.

Jay Cummings

As a predator hunter and target shooter and bow hunter I would have plenty of use for a rangefinder but have just never bought one. Lately Ive had the itch and have been doing some reading. I don't want to go the real cheap route of say a $99 unit but I'm not ready to spend the big money either. Thought maybe you guys could help steer me the right way. Leupold, Vortex, Sig, Nikon etc. Are there units to stay away from. And I would like to range out to at the least 1000yds. I see the Sig is on sale right now at Cabelas but not sure if black friday may have some deals.

Last edited:
I had a Leupold rx 1000 it now sits in the basement and doesn’t get used I bought a vortex ranger 1000 and would never go back the amount of times I have ranged with either one the vortex will read out way easier maybe only have to hit the button 2 times with shaky hands to range the tree at 700 vs 10 or 15 with my Leupold

I am very happy with my Vortex Ranger 1500. It does very well in hunting situations. The Sig Kilo 2200 is another great option, and I would opt for it easily over the 2000 model.

Ranging 1000 yards on animals is a VERY tall task. You will not see that with any of the brands mentioned, honestly. It takes a ton of money to reliably range critters, definitively, at 1K.

I would just like the capability to range to 1000yds when setting up targets and ranging landmarks. For hunting, if it ranges to 600yds that is adequate. So the Vortex is a good unit?

I would say yes. The Sig is a bit faster responding, but I don't know that is ranges much "better." I decided on the Vortex because it does all that I need and still has a full lifetime warranty.

I’m in the same boat and heard good things about the sig. I used to love vortex, now I’m off that bandwagon. Especially after this season. Every scope and pair of bino’s that road in the truck rattled and the internal mechanism(can’t think of the name) broke.

Originally Posted By: Jay CummingsTo throw another in the mix. I see Cabelas has the Leupold TBR 1200 on sale for $249. Is the Leo a good unit?

It is an OK unit.

Originally Posted By: HalbachI’m in the same boat and heard good things about the sig. I used to love vortex, now I’m off that bandwagon. Especially after this season. Every scope and pair of bino’s that road in the truck rattled and the internal mechanism(can’t think of the name) broke.

Which models did you have? I have only had good luck with their top tier stuff. The LRF is a great unit, IME.

I just had the Vortex bino lrf and the kilo 2400 out and the kilo won that battle slightly. To get good ranges on smaller targets say under 2 Moa out to or past 1000 yards the Vectronix are about the only ones I know of that will manage that task. Problem is they are expensive and they quit selling to civilians so you have to shop Ebay or online forums.

Originally Posted By: ViperACRI just had the Vortex bino lrf and the kilo 2400 out and the kilo won that battle slightly. To get good ranges on smaller targets say under 2 Moa out to or past 1000 yards the Vectronix are about the only ones I know of that will manage that task. Problem is they are expensive and they quit selling to civilians so you have to shop Ebay or online forums.

If you take them both out in various conditions, you will likely see that battle go back and forth. Both are excellent, IMO. Though I simply do not like LRF/Bino combos...not a fan of the ergros, weight and such.

Just to stir it up a bit.
Swarovski 10x42 EL range. They'll do over 100yds, one optic tool to carry. You'll be happy with them.
But, if your set on just a rangefinder, SIG

Last edited:
I have the cheaper sig... the 800 I think. Its the only range finder I have owned and overall I am happy with it. Ranges everything in the field without a problem. I use it to range jack rabbits or when I call predators I range a few objects while I catch my breath before I start calling.

My only complaint is the image is not very bright. It is like looking through a very cheap scope. I dunno if the more expensive range finders are brighter or not as I have never used one. I'm sure its good through legal shooting light, i am just used to better glass. Its very dramatic to range something and then look at it again through my weaver v24 or bushy 4200.

Originally Posted By: Wyoming WinchesterJust to stir it up a bit.
Swarovski 10x42 EL range. They'll do over 1000yds, one optic tool to carry. You'll be happy with them.
But, if your set on just a rangefinder, SIG
I fixed it for ya
wink.gif

At ONLY about 5 times the cost!! but I agree it would be a good way to go if they were more affordable..

Originally Posted By: Jay CummingsTo throw another in the mix. I see Cabelas has the Leupold TBR 1200 on sale for $249. Is the Leo a good unit?

Mine gets out to about 850 on a good day FYI

I have the Leup RX 1200i TBR and it does everything I want it to, actually more. To my eyes, it is clear and seems to take a target quite well. I am a bit shakey and because of that I do check it an extra time or so when ranging. Thats just me. My wife is getting pretty good handling it when we are out.

Most of our shots are 250 and in with the occasional 300 so with the rounds I am shooting and my sight in "0" its almost moot. But it sure is nice to know.

Also, Nice to have a buddy that can range for you..... LOL

Last edited:
Well, I ordered the Sig 2000. I hope its a good deal at $349! Thing is I don't have anything to compare them to as this will be my first rangefinder.

That's a good price and I'm sure you will be satisfied with its performance. I previously had a Zeiss but sold it to a fellow who had more money than good sense and just had to have it that week. I now have the Sig 2000 and it is every bit as good and accurate as the Zeiss in my opinion at ranging animals out to 600/700 yards. Ranging beyond that you really need some open ground, as the laser beam finds all sorts of objects between you and your intended target.

You can range large objects such as barns at distances over 1,000 yards but you will need a height advantage over your target if you intend to range antelope at those ranges - just too many shrubs and brush to catch the laser beam when ranging from a highway or slight incline. Of course, there will be times when you have a clear, unobstructed view of game and that Sig 2000 will range those animals at 1,000 yards, if you can hold that steady.

Thanks Joey! For what I do I think it will be fine. If it will range a coyote at 4-500yds and deer to 500-600yds that's fine. As far as ranging farther, if it will landmarks and other large objects at 1000 that's fine by me.

Back