Calling Rifle Help

BangFlop

I would like help deciding on a coyote calling rifle. I will be calling WI farmlands with shots ranging from say 20-200 yards. Primarily hunt them on full moon nights in the snow. I will be topping rifle with a Leupold 3i in either 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. Please leave choices to this list only (I know there are many good offerings):

1) Remington 700 LTR .223 (9 twist)
2) Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223 (9 twist)
3) Remington 700 SPS Sporter 22-250
4) Remington 7 Predator 22-250
5) Remington 7 Stainless .223 (9 twist)

Thank you

I dont know the minor differences between the models listed. To me, the ones you chose are pretty much the same other than the 22-250 having a little more horse power. So, Of that list personally I would choose the one with the best stock, meaning the stiffest stock if its available.

Best stock would be the HS (or B&C) on the LTR of course, I've not handled one but I'd like to. But with the reasonably priced Grayboe options out there now you could restock any of these 700s and still only have about a grand invested.

I just bought a Model 7 predator in 243. I've yet to mount a scope and fire it, and may even sell it if I decide I want a heavier threaded barrel rifle. But I will say it feels very light and handy. It's stocks fore-end is 2-3" shorter than a comparable m700 and maybe a 13" or so LOP. Barrel doesn't appear to be free floated at all, not sure if I'll have to open it up or not. Trigger feels OK, but not great, though I haven't adjusted it at all.

As far as 9 twist .223 vs 14 twist 22.-250, I'd ask myself if there's any chance I would want to shoot heavier than 55s and pick accordingly. Though for 200 yds and in I'd say .223 has plenty of horsepower anyway..

None of the above, there are better rifles out there for the same money. I don't care for Remington or the rifles they put out.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterNone of the above, there are better rifles out there for the same money. I don't care for Remington or the rifles they put out.

Agreed......I'm a Remington fan but I wouldn't buy one these days unless it was for a doner.

There are better choices IMO......CZ, Wby, Ruger, Tika just to name a few.

Item #1 and #2 are basically the same rifle with exceptions of three flutes and an HS vs Hogues stock and a few hundred dollars. I like the Model 7's but usually (in my part of town) over priced and accuracy is hit and miss. #3 will probably be a decent shooter, plenty of power, light weight (if weight matters) but the stock is crap and may or may not need to be replaced. If you plan to customize at a later date and time, the Model 7's don't have a ton of aftermarket parts like the 700's do.
If I planned on just shooting the rifle in as is factory configuration, I would lean towards item #1 or #2. If I was going to customize at a later date, I would lean towards #3 because you can get them cheap at Wally World and other places. JMO!

kind of funny. you asked about a calling rifle a little less than a month ago.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...437#Post3100437
several suggestions were given. not a one of them suggested a remington. now the only one you are considering is a remington. go figure.
lol.gif

tikka.

#4 or #3, the Model 7 is a great little rifle and the camo makes it pretty, I shoot a custom Rem 600. The Rem 600 is a great action and the Model 7 is how the 600 should have been built in the first place.

I'm pro 22-250, there isn't too much a 223 can do that a 22-250 can't do better, and hunting predators you don't have to worry about burning out a barrel. Some day you might get into day hunting and if you get really involved predator hunting trips are in you future. I hunt coyotes with a half dozen or so rifles from 218 Bee to 25-205 and if I had to pick just one caliber it would be the 22-250.

My choice would be the 2.5x8 with a heavy duplex for shooting in moonlight. I live up in NW MN for a number of years in the late 70's early 80's and hunted fox and jackrabbits on moonlit nights.

A local high volume dealer stated this week that he can barely sell a Remington anymore.
Even better a walmart clerk told me they had some remingtons coming in at a discount that they had returned new for warranty work.
Several good .22-250 rifles on the market to choose from with a current reputation for reliably performing.

Savage 223. Remington can suck it. 400 yards and under I’d take a 223 all day. Cheaper and readily available ammo, drops em without a problem too. Remington has been producing some serious **** these days. And a savage is super easy to modify with hardly any tools plus has great accuracy out of the box. Or a Ruger American! That rifle and a magpul hunter stock are my next buy in 223. Seriously, stay away from the new Remington trash. I’ve had and got rid of 4 in 5 years.

Oh and the lower power scope too. Under 200 a 4X would even be good and you’ll want a smaller objective lens so you take in more light. Smaller objective lens = less corrective angle and less lens to produce the picture = more light transmission through the glass without distortion. I keep mine on 3-6x for most calling and only turn to 16x for the real long stuff. If mine had a 1.5x I’d keep it down there. Last year a majority of yotes came to under 75 yards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: MotoHunterNone of the above, there are better rifles out there for the same money. I don't care for Remington or the rifles they put out.

Agreed......I'm a Remington fan but I wouldn't buy one these days unless it was for a doner.

There are better choices IMO......CZ, Wby, Ruger, Tika just to name a few.

Honestly, I've never owned or shot a Remington, but everything I've read about them of late (horrible quality, even worse customer service) makes me think I wouldn't even buy one if they started marking them half off.

Ruger, Kimber, Howa, Weatherby, Tikka, Savage, CZ, basically any other rifle maker currently in business is probably a better choice for the money.

700 SPS Sporter in 22-250 (Stainless with 24" barrel)

If you have 8x Bio's use the 8x scope / 10x Bio's 10x scope.

You may want to look at a 50mm Objective or larger with 30mm tube on the scope for low light.

Might go with 223 for less muzzle flash. If it was me the 223 would have a 20" barrel and shorter lenght of pull for winter clothes or a butt pad that would not grab my coat. I have a Savage Light weight hunter in .243 set up like this and its a handy little rifle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BangFlopI would like help deciding on a coyote calling rifle. I will be calling WI farmlands with shots ranging from say 20-200 yards. Primarily hunt them on full moon nights in the snow. I will be topping rifle with a Leupold 3i in either 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. Please leave choices to this list only (I know there are many good offerings):

Thank you

Of these at the range you stated,,,,, with no question I would go wth a 9 twist 223.

Originally Posted By: BangFlopI would like help deciding on a coyote calling rifle. I will be calling WI farmlands with shots ranging from say 20-200 yards. Primarily hunt them on full moon nights in the snow. I will be topping rifle with a Leupold 3i in either 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. Please leave choices to this list only (I know there are many good offerings):

Thank you

Option #1 would be my choice of the 5 listed.

Back