22x47 Lapua build

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
Brad, you should a spent the extra money and got the bolt stops put in !
lol.gif

Tim,
I got all of mine with the optional bolt retention device.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendDo they come in camo colors?

This one is my mile rifle so I didn't figure anything was gonna see me.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CZ527

I was hoping you had a hunting bullet in addition to that. I've been forced to concede that some very light and small for caliber Berger target bullet can be effective on coyotes at high velocity, but a large and lengthy projectile, even at beastly 22x47 velocities will not be 100% reliable. I have read the product description on the fullbores, and I wonder do they mean coyote by larger varmint? I refer to them as predators but I'm guessing they may not. If these are indeed intended to be used for predator hunting then that's awesome that there is a viable option for long range shooting of both target and coyotes.

Interested to know, if you have the chance to get back to me.

I know 4-5 guys that shoot the 80.5 bullets from 22x47 and they have literally killed 100s of coyotes with that combination. I also know a few guys using them in 223AI and have had very good luck with them on coyotes, deer and hogs.

I may at some point have to give the Berger's a try. With how well my 22 CM shoots the 80gr AMax and how well it smacks coyotes it may be on the next barrel. Slight advantage to the Amax also on BC..... Wonder if Hornady plans to put the new tip in them.

OK243,

What kind of performance did they get on these coyotes? Does it create a large exit hole? Do they bang flop without a twitch?

I'm very interested in this bullet.

Last edited:
Plus 1 for what he said.

Originally Posted By: OK243Originally Posted By: CZ527

I was hoping you had a hunting bullet in addition to that. I've been forced to concede that some very light and small for caliber Berger target bullet can be effective on coyotes at high velocity, but a large and lengthy projectile, even at beastly 22x47 velocities will not be 100% reliable. I have read the product description on the fullbores, and I wonder do they mean coyote by larger varmint? I refer to them as predators but I'm guessing they may not. If these are indeed intended to be used for predator hunting then that's awesome that there is a viable option for long range shooting of both target and coyotes.

Interested to know, if you have the chance to get back to me.

I know 4-5 guys that shoot the 80.5 bullets from 22x47 and they have literally killed 100s of coyotes with that combination. I also know a few guys using them in 223AI and have had very good luck with them on coyotes, deer and hogs.

Venatic, how many rounds do youhave on your barrel? I am curious to see an example of barrel life with this combination. I have a reamer headed this way, and will eventually build one, just need to get my 6cm build sorted out and shooting, first.

Originally Posted By: venaticI may at some point have to give the Berger's a try. With how well my 22 CM shoots the 80gr AMax and how well it smacks coyotes it may be on the next barrel. Slight advantage to the Amax also on BC..... Wonder if Hornady plans to put the new tip in them.

Originally Posted By: CZ527OK243,

What kind of performance did they get on these coyotes? Does it create a large exit hole? Do they bang flop without a twitch?

All of this depends on shot placement but it is typically a bang flop situation.

I'd be interested to hear if the 80.5 (Berger?) performs better than the 80gr VLD. I'm not impressed much with the VLD. Very accurate but I've never shot a bullet that had me guessing on how it would perform as much as it. Not a huge sample but enough to worry me. That's in a 22-243win at 3350fps.

Yes it is the Berger 80.5. They have tried the 80 vld and 82 grain bullets over the years and thsee have had the best results.

Not sure if it was just a timing thing or not but I do know they shot 22-243 before the 22x47 and shot 80 grain serra at that time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAny expense to have the trigger reworked ?

They found the safety spring needed to be replaced as well as remove the bolt release for me. So it set me back $25.00 plus return shipping.

This project has taken many turns and bumps along the way but here is what I ended up with.

22x47 Lapua built by Ross Rifles, Peidmont, OK
Stainless Rem 700, SA, fully trued with pinned Holland's oversized recoil lug
Badger bolt knob install
Talley tactical, 20 MOA scope rail
Rock Creek, 7 twist, medium palma cut at 20"
Mcmillan Game Scout which in a round about way came from Buster
Surgeon DBM using AI 5rnd mags
Jewell trigger
Coyote tan cerakote on barreled action
Suppressed Armament Barricade
Steiner 3-12x56 mounted in Seekins, 6/4, 34mm, low rings
Over the summer I plan to install KMW adjustable cheek hardware into the stock and a few flush cups but other than that this combo is very well balanced.
I am working on a final load with the Berger 80.5 grain bullets and H4350 but am having good luck with the load that I've been hunting with.

Originally Posted By: chrs_28Good looking rig! Iam really liking your Game Scout sock.

Thank you sir!
I'm really liking the design of the Game Scout and how it sits in my shooting sticks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CZ527OK243,

Here is an exit on a broadside shot through both shoulders at 95yds with the 80.5gn out of my 22cm. Not sure on muzzle velocity yet, as I haven't finalized load development, but so far the 43.0gns of H4350 have accounted for 3 coyotes and 2 pigs around 200#+ each in the last 5 rounds out of the barrel. Ranges were 95, 92, 104, 299 & 306yds respectively. Only one coyote took a step, everything else was bang flop..crickets.

This is a pic of the rig, and its first blood.
Beanland built 22cm
Defiance Deviant Hunter, melonited, Huber 2 stage @2#
22" Rock Creek #5, 8tw
Suppressed Armament Barricade #1
Defiance DBM & Manners EH3 in Desert Sage.

OK243,
What kind of velocity are you getting from the 20"barrel and the 80.5's? Why the 22 x 47L as opposed to the 22-250AI? The Barricade appears to be a 6.5 cal suppressor, is that the case and if so why that vs a 22 cal model?
Thanks for the info.
Miles

Last edited:
Unless it has sped up in the last 20 rounds which it may have since I have less that 100 rounds down the barrel, I chronographed 3185. I fully expect to settle in around 3250 after the barrel speeds up.

22x47 is a fairly simple neck down, load and go shoot. I did not want to fire-form all the brass and then have to start the load work up. Even though Lapua makes 22-250 brass, the 6.5x47 case is hands down a better starting platform and that is mainly due to the small rifle primer and the case being able to hold pressure better.

The Barricade is designated for 6.5 caliber and was the first of the trend of suppressors designed for something other than 30 cal or 223. At the time, I did not think the current offerings in the 223 rated cans would handle the pressures of the 22x47. After a little more research, I think SAS or TBAC offer cans in 223 that would handle it. I will eventually end up with a 223 can that is rated for it as I think it could be a little quieter but the 20" barrel doesn't help with the noise as well. If you decide on a 22 cal can, make sure and call the manufacturer to make sure it is going to be rated for the extra pressure of the hotrod 22 cals.
If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go 22x47 or 22 Creedmoor and I would go with a high pressure 22 can as long as I was going to designate it to that rifle.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Back