**** Further Modifications for the Primos/Randy Anderson Hot Dog Call and the Dakota Howler ****

I wore out or chewed up my diaphragm before I ever figured that out. And I am decent with a tukey diaphragm. I could do some wicked chihuahua barks though.

The Hot dog was my first hand call too. It is tough but once you learn it the custom calls are really easy to do. I like the hot dog for its kiyis.

Thanks for giving me a reason for my first post!
I just ordered a custom howler from carvers, but I was looking around and found this on (pretty much non functioning) hot dog. After not being able to make anything that resembled a coyote.. Just a dying elk and cow that barks..
I tired this and now I can't believe I can actually make a howl! I have a fox pro and I was just practicing with it.. I can get it pretty close to what it is sounding like!
I tried this mod and man let me tell you, best thing I've ever done
This only took 10min and I seen where someone had used a milk jug before.. I just cut a tab out and made 2 little notches and sounds 1000x better!!
I also had to shave the inside of my horn a little for the difference of the tab
Seems like I might have a use for this call after all.. Can't wait for my carvers to get here though!
thumbup1.gif

Im definitely going to have to give this a try cuz my hotdog sounds alot like a elk mating with a moo cow while a duck cheers them on.

After reading this thread the other day I dug the Hot Dog out of the cabinet and figured I had nothing to loose by trying the mod.
I ended up using a shim cut from a quart squirt bottle. Sorry but I didn't measure the thickness but it worked perfectly, making the Hot Dog easy to blow and get the sounds I want.
Thanks for the tip.

I’m glad to hear that some guys tried these hot dog modifications and were satisfied with the results. I added more info to my original post.

Last edited:
So glad I found this artical..I picked up a hotdog from the local chain for 3.00.. read the instructions over and over and over like 50 thousand times.. yet I could only get it to sound like a dieing cow being molested by an disfunctional elk, and a quir duck.. I'm gong to try these mods and see if I can master this call.. thanks for all the info..

Keep me posted with your trial, modifying the Primos Hot Dog call. It's very simple, you can use a small half round file to file out a shallow recessed area from the upper end of the tone board as I have shown with my pics.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:
I filed out the tone board as you suggested and it easier to use. So far I have only used it in the house so I don't know how good it will sound out hunting. I have no idea why the filing works, everyone seems to complain about the exit hole being too big the filing would allow even more air to escape.

I didn't put plastic in the call because I couldn't figure out how to get the call apart without breaking it. My call seems like all the red parts of the call are fused together. Is there some trick for separating the parts of the red end of the call?

Originally Posted By: Stub2I didn't put plastic in the call because I couldn't figure out how to get the call apart without breaking it. My call seems like all the red parts of the call are fused together. Is there some trick for separating the parts of the red end of the call?

Please refer back to the original, first post, in this thread.

You will see a photo that shows the toneboard; the red plastic reed block/wedge; the reed; & the added Mylar reed "block" that goes under the reed.

That red plastic reed block/wedge is located above the reed, in the "complete" mouthpiece assembly.

To remove the reed, push/pop that wedge out, towards the TIP end of the toneboard/reed.
(You should be able to look inside the "exhaust" end of the mouthpiece, and see the inside end of the wedge.)

Be careful, when pushing the wedge out, that you do not damage the reed itself!!
wink.gif

You can use a screwdriver tip (I would use a Phillips)...against the wedge...and gently tap on the handle of the screwdriver, to push the wedge out.
It really shouldn't take much force to dislodge it.

When you are done with your mods, simply re-insert the wedge, pushing it in with your finger until it's tightly wedged in.

I hope this has helped with your question, sir.
smile.gif

Thanks for explaining how to take the call apart. I had seen the pictures you posted at the beginning and thought the barrel of the call must be able to split in half somehow.
Ive had other calls come apart the way you just described, sometimes all by themselves.
I have a different howler that is closed reed type. I cannot get sound out of it that is any use at all. But, if I remove the end that surrounds the reed, and use the call as a open reed call the sound is great. The problem is that the reed will move side to side on the tone board with use and the tone will change for the worse. Also, sometimes the reed and the block that holds it will come out on its own. I ve thought of gluing the butt end of the reed and reed block and surrounding barrel together.
Usually I wait til garage day to do a project like that.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: Stub2Thanks for explaining how to take the call apart. I had seen the pictures you posted at the beginning and thought the barrel of the call must be able to split in half somehow.
Ive had other calls come apart the way you just described, sometimes all by themselves.
I have a different howler that is closed reed type. I cannot get sound out of it that is any use at all. But, if I remove the end that surrounds the reed, and use the call as a open reed call the sound is great. The problem is that the reed will move side to side on the tone board with use and the tone will change for the worse. Also, sometimes the reed and the block that holds it will come out on its own. I ve thought of gluing the butt end of the reed and reed block and surrounding barrel together.
Usually I wait til garage day to do a project like that.
tt2.gif

SDHowler was the one who posted those photos. He was the one who started this thread.
(But, since I was the one who answered you, I can see where it might have been confused.)
wink.gif

I have never made a closed-reed style howler, that I liked.
So, I won't even begin to try to tell you what you should do, to fix yours.
grin.gif

This post has received 33 replies and more than 13,583 views since I first posted it on 3/16/07. THANKS to all of you for taking a look at my post and made such modifications to their Hot Dog calls.

Steve
Predator Calling
rattler51@pie.midco.net

I read your updated original post a couple times but still have a question. Are you suggesting making both changes to the hot dog or will either one yield similiar results?

The reed block is not a permanent change to the tone board, but still improves the sound produced. Filing the recessed area in the tone is what I prefer, but this a permanent change to the tone board,

I've given you callers several years to get some experience using the Primos Hot Dog call with the modifications I suggested, so how did you turn out when you used this modified call?

Last edited:
Back