Any excitement for the new Federal .224 Valkyrie?

Matlock

Federal just released their new .224 Valkyrie. Seems to be geared more towards the long-range/competitive shooting community as it's designed for the 90g SMK out of the gate, but could it have applications in the hunting world as well. I guess that remains to be seen, but I know folks are always looking for an excuse to buy/build a new rifle. Am I right! Any excitement for this new round?

Federal's official YouTube release videos:

Lots of excitement on the net on this one on the boards. The real release will be at SHOT. They took a 6.8 and shortened it to 1.620 and shoved the shoulder back so they lowered the case capacity drastically. I'm guessing not a lot over a 222 Magnum. The pressures must be higher than the 22X6.8 I've been shooting as the speeds are way over the top for me compared to the pressure work that Ritch has done.

Throated for the 90 and 100 grain pills means the jump with the little guys is going to be pretty long. They are going for PRS guys and the Walter Mitty 1000 yard shooters that never see anything past 300 yards by and large. The 1:7 twist they are using may well be cause for issue at sea level and cold weather. The length of those 90’s is huge and they really need a bit more to work consistently across the spectrum IMHO. This will eliminate many of the really thin skinned varmint pills from use. I’ve been blowing up 50 VMAX in a 1:8 at 3750 and the same thing with the 53 grain Varmegeddons. Not good when you drop the hammer and on the VMAX 4/100 with a loss of 4/100with several jacket ruptures on the 96 and on the Noslers I lost 6/10 with 2 of the 4 tipping. The good news is the Sierra BK and the Nosler BT’s would handle the 1:8.

I will get one as soon as the reamer is obtained as they are available to order from PT&G now and will shoot it side by side with my 22X6.8 and my 22 Nosler. I need to see what the COL is on my 22X6.8 with a 90 SMK and if I can shoe horn it into a magazine with a window. I suspect my chamber will accept it and if so I will have more horsepower on tap than the V. The big thing will be if my 1:8 will turn them fast enough to stabilize. I can always do a 22X6.8 seven twist or order up maybe a 6.5 if I really had the urge to go bonkers on this but I don’t think that one is in the cards for me.

Greg

Not at all excited, and not faulting anyone who is. In my opinion (which is worth what you just paid for it....lol), it is an answer to a question that nobody asked. Wildcats are cool and most are so, because we like to "play" with stuff. I could be wrong.....but can't remember a chambering that Federal has introduce that has ever stuck around or gained a big following.

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724I'd rather have a 22x6.8 and roll my own.

I've been following this and the Nosler like a blood hound.

You summed it up succinctly.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: wormydog1724I'd rather have a 22x6.8 and roll my own.

Greg

Having amazing success with the Nosler. PM me if you have specific questions

Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: wormydog1724I'd rather have a 22x6.8 and roll my own.

Greg

Having amazing success with the Nosler. PM me if you have specific questions

Thanks for the offer. I've posted up a few targets that I shot with the Nosler already and evaluated the old vs. new brass and some of the 22 NOSGAR that was so graciously sent along to me.

I've got a bunch of 8's, a bunch of 6's, a couple 2's and that one 0.069 showed me what a bit of luck and hard holding will do with it.

It holds few mysteries for me having shot the 22X6.8 although I know a few about how the Nosler came to be.,.LOL

Once I got a GOOD barrel and and batch of GOOD brass things went from the 4"+ groups to acceptable for me. The HAGAR conversion stuff does have my interest though and I intend to pursue it some more.

Greg

the 224 Valkyrie will probably accel at long distance shooting, yet to shoot those heavy projectiles it will need a fast twist barrel which will make it undesirable for varmint hunting.

If I were shooting 1000+ yards I would use an even heavier projectile such as something 6mm or larger, that would buck the wind better and carry more forward momentum.

so for me the Valkyrie is a big thumbs down.

IMHO the only way to improve on the 22x6.8 or 22nosgar at this point would be a 22x47L which would only gain speed. who can make me a 10 twist 22x47L????????????

the 22 Nosgar works well after much wasted monies to compensate for the initial disappointment of the 22nosler. I lost faith in the 22nosler early and did the following mods.
(needs an extended gas system, heavy buffer, Hagar brass to work with longer barrels)
I knew that I would not ever use a bullet heavier than 60gn so I chose the appropriate 12 twist barrel.

for simplicity of forming and sourcing brass the 22x6.8 is the winning ticket

if you want to use the gun for varmint hunting shooting a 40-60gn bullet at 3500-3800 fps, then look at a 22x6.8

my question is, does the 22x6.8 come in 1-9 and 1-12 twist? is there a such blank as a 10 twist?
the missing key here may be the grey area of twist rates between 8 and 12, something half way between may be the answer to bullet problems since my 12 twist sends 53gn bullets beautifully and I am certain that it will struggle to stabilize 69+ gn projectiles

Bleeds there's certainly a possibility on a 9 twist in the near future. Hold that thought and you may be surprised. The 8 would be fine with heavier jackets as I mentioned but when the reamer maker gears up Ritch will be the man to talk with on that one for sure.

Greg

In our world the 6.8 variants are a better choice. Can't imagine that Federal will release this not going after the varmint/predator crowd first. A 7 twist is crazy. 9 twist would a smarter roll out, but that's just me.

For myself, I'm building the 6x6.8 first.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessIn our world the 6.8 variants are a better choice. Can't imagine that Federal will release this not going after the varmint/predator crowd first. A 7 twist is crazy. 9 twist would a smarter roll out, but that's just me.

I agree but you're leaving LaRue out of the equation. This isn't all on Federal.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: SmokelessIn our world the 6.8 variants are a better choice. Can't imagine that Federal will release this not going after the varmint/predator crowd first. A 7 twist is crazy. 9 twist would a smarter roll out, but that's just me.

I agree but you're leaving LaRue out of the equation. This isn't all on Federal.

Greg

Understood. I know they may have big plans. I still think that their proprietary venture is flawed. They took too much out of the case capacity all in the name of self promotion of the 6.8 casing.
Ritch's design makes the most sense.

If it goes SAMMI everything is off the table for proprietary property. I know darn well without extra pressure little cases can't run with bigger ones if similar design. There is virtually no wiggle room in 6.8 case pressure. 55,000 is pretty much it but it can be bumped to 57,000 or so. The Nosler was set at 55,000 and I suspect that SAMMI may give them 57,000 but it can't keep up with a 22X6.8 and the Nosler while possibly less pressure does have more capacity. Neither can match the straight neck down variant. Cutting the V. to about 41 MM and pushing that shoulder screwed them right out of the gate IMHO.

Greg

This is all about steel & paper at 600 to 1K and long range varmints. Look at the BC on the 90 gr SMKs or the Berger's. Its impressive. I'd love to get my paws on a bolt, barrel & some brass to try in the AR. Wonder what the case capacity is? Might be a little short of poop in a bolt gun.

This is exactly what sscoyote has been wanting. Hope he sees this.

Last edited:
Back