Help me build my dream ar-10 6.5 creedmoor

Trapper Luke

Looking at buying/building my first AR-10 after doing some looking around, specs , ballistics all that good stuff I’ve settled on the 6.5 creedmoor. Would like to keep the price of the gun itself under $2000 least that’s why I’m gonna try and tell myself. Been wanting an AR forever and finally decided to drop the hammer on one. This is gonna be my predator rifle. Mainly just looking for opinions from people that they would do one get done while building a custom AR

Thanks,
Luke

OK Luke, take your time and get it right the First Time, LOOK, LISTEN, and RESEARCH. I own two, one in .223 and one in .308, I love both of them, but now I am in the process of getting a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have looked at some, talked to several people who have different rifles, some factory built some Home Built. I was going to build one, but after a lot of research I decided to order a Savage MSR-10 Hunter Model in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is a Good Deal for the Price. Might make a change in the Trigger and that will be about all, I think. Looking for mine to be in any day now.

Several others on here can tell you a lot more than I can, and can give you a lot of "Good Advise", and I am sure that they will.

PS: Contact Gman757

Last edited:
Just built mine. Went with the JP match barrel set with adjustable gas block and +2 gas system. Went with JP silent capture and low mass carrier from JP. Just in a Geissle national match trigger. All built.on aero precision builders.set from scheyuler arms (sp?). Total cost just under $2000. Shoots smooth as anything and still dialing in reloads but def has promise.

Last edited:
I've been tossing around the idea of building a new AR-10 as well. I sold my old DPMS 308 because it was too heavy and unwieldy on stands. My new build would be a gen2 DPMS complete rifle in 308, I would toss the 308 barrel and replace it with a Rainier Arms 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I realize this doesn't really constitute a "build" but you can't get all the needed parts seperately for the gen2. The finished rifle would be smaller and more manageable than the standard AR-10. Just another route for you consideration.

What ever you do, stick to ONE company for the lower, upper, LPK, and Bolt Carrier Group.

Many of the horror stories reference large-frame AR builds can be traced back to mixing of parts.

I've built five Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage based rifles, all in .308 Win., and all but one gave me minor tweaking issues.

The 6.5 CM is an excellent cartridge but I could not get the velocity the cartridge is capable of out of a gas gun w/o really tearing up the brass.

You will most likely have the same issue...

First thing you need to figure out is how much walking will you be doing with this rifle? My AR10's weigh between 12-15lbs. You could built one lighter most likely but things add up quick.

Originally Posted By: 36FanFirst thing you need to figure out is how much walking will you be doing with this rifle? My AR10's weigh between 12-15lbs. You could built one lighter most likely but things add up quick.

This.

Keep in mind aswell the 6.5 Creed needs a decent barrel length, you can't run a 16" like you could in a .308.

When I took on a build I tried to build it as lightweight as possible but still ended up at 8.4lbs unloaded with no optic, over 10 with the optic and mount. That's with a 16" lightweight barrel and JP MK3 handguard. If I spent another $1,000+ I could probably get it down a bit more but that's not in my tax bracket.

Now i'm debating picking up a lightweight "mountain" rifle or possibly even a Rem-7600 carbine. I want something 7lbs or less loaded with optic.

I can say that i'm glad I built one and love shooting it.

Building a rifle is the way to go!
Theres been a lot of good advise given so far. Everyone is going to opinion on something. So use it to your advantage.
When building, you gotta think about what, where and how you'll be using this rifle. Every factor comes into play. You must consider these thing if you wanna save $$$ !.
You can over spend and you probably will. Do your homework. Buy a little bit at a time and you wont break the bank.
Start your build after hunting season. That way you wont get in a rush to finish it.
I signed up for emails with Rainier Arms and DSG Arms.
They are always having sales and clearance specials every week and every hoilday. Ive picked up alot of good deals this way.
And take your time. My last rifle took close to 2 years to build.
Im very happy with it and wouldnt change anything on it.
Good Luck

Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeLooking at buying/building my first AR-10 after doing some looking around, specs , ballistics all that good stuff I’ve settled on the 6.5 creedmoor. Would like to keep the price of the gun itself under $2000 least that’s why I’m gonna try and tell myself. Been wanting an AR forever and finally decided to drop the hammer on one. This is gonna be my predator rifle. Mainly just looking for opinions from people that they would do one get done while building a custom AR

Thanks,
Luke

DSG Arms has a match grade 20" 6.5 Creedmoor SS barrel DPMS pattern for sale $185.
just got an email from them

as stated above Schuyler arms has a great deal on Aero parts right now. http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/catalog.php?category=113338

search their site lots of good deals on Aero stuff. that's where I got most of my parts for my 308 win AR10 build. also, check out tomstactcal their nitride BCG is very nice at a good price point. and joeboboutfitters has a great deal on hipertouch triggers right now. and check out manventureoutpost for stocks and grips and handguards.

and for how to help or what is compatible with the AR10 platform this site helped me a lot: https://308ar.com/assemble-308-lower/

here is my build and it came in at about $1850.00 total with the optic + misc. parts like gas tube etc.

Aero upper assembled (dust cover FA) $155.00
Aero lower $110.00
Aero lpk $65.00
toms tactical nitrided BCG $139.95 free ship.
Aero buffer tube and spring and buffer $49.00
sprinco orange spring $8.95
KAK industries heavy buffer 5.3 oz. $55.00
SLR adjustable gas block $110.00
hogue grip and stock $42.96
UTG pro series key mod handguard (high profile) $133.78
hipertouch 24E trigger $129.95
Mega arms 20'' nitrided stainless barrel (on clearance $200.00) they got bought out by Zev technologies.
VG6 brake $40.00
magpul genII backups $69.41
Meopta Meostar 4-16x44 mil-dot scope (ebay $450.00)
leupold mount $89.00

tfGs0YEl.jpg

ZIwXNpEl.jpg

gh79Nsdl.jpg

FTKjcfAl.jpg

Last edited:
Buy the best barrel you can afford, and get a good trigger.
I'm pretty sure I could buy a proof barrel for $850 and spend another $150-200 on a trigger and still easily build a $2000 AR.

Back