Coyotes and human scent

Play..........................................the.......................................Wind..............................................!!!

Nothing will save you, they will be smelling you.

Let's say the wind is 10mph and at your back, you are facing East and calling a canyon that runs from the North to the South, your scent will hit the wall on the West facing side of the canyon and go South following the traverse of the canyon, it is not going over the canyon as one would think.

Not coyotes but... I watched a heard of elk wind us at or just over 1000 yrds. I'm betting coyotes have as good or better noises.

All those folks that say "its gonna blow this way at this time and bla bla bla . Its the wind buddy and it blows where and and when and what direction it wants and most of the time it is a coyotes best friend . The exception is a big front moving in .

Truly one of the best threads I have read in a long time.Mountainous and heavily timbered areas at a higher elevation than the prairie and desert in the northern parts of the mountain west the wind is well -------the wind . David Thompson the explorer of much of Canada and northern Rockies was being asked by a Cree in the depths of winter for Thompson to "send me a wind I need a moose we are starving" They respected Thompson and believed he had special powers as they had seen him doing astronomy readings(position of stars and planets) at night.I am guessing he wanted a front with a STEADY wind.

Originally Posted By: beaverquackSo....you're saying farts and cigars are good cover scents?

Of course! It also interferes with their vision.....can't see well through tears.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

WOW, just to know I was right for Once and the scent elimination companies were wrong. I love how they blow that BS up everyone's butt and no one can smell it? Never been a believer of scent eliminator. Animals aren't as stupid as people think they are. It's like shooting F Class matches. You always hear everybody bitching about the wind except the guy who read it right.. Thanks for the article DAA.

The more experienced hunters have been saying "play the wind" whenever this topic comes up for a long time. It's interesting to see how coyotes react to your scent. As a bowhunter that uses a climbing treestand I've watched coyotes hit my trail where I have walked into an area. Not once from memory has a coyote continued on across my scent trail and along the same direction it was going before it hit where I walked in. My path always caused a reaction and direction change for the coyote. Conversely I have seen deer pay it no attention what so ever. Not always, sometimes deer react similarly to the coyotes. An old wise doe deer almost always slinks away or blows the whistle. Young bucks are goofy as can be and very often pay little attention.

Once during the general firearms deer season I watched a coyote slipping through the timber quartering toward me. This was on a fairly heavily hunted block of national forest so there was quite a bit of unusual disturbance in the area. I knew the coyote was going to hit my scent stream about 3:00 from where I was sitting. At about 80 yards the coyote hit my scent stream from a steady breeze. The coyote threw his nose up and froze like a bird dog looking hard in my direction. I wasn't moving but that coyote knew exactly where I was sitting. The coyote took two steps forward and layed down behind a fallen tree. It switched directions and jumped down into a creek and slipped back the direction it came from. That coyote used cover and concealment to escape as soon as it smelled me.

A propos with this thread, I was out calling yesterday in the desert and it had rained a little during the night and all the fresh tracks just gleamed at you in the wet sand. Anyway, I had a stand where I saw three yotes, got one at 30 yards ( 3" heavy T), and the other two got away. There had been a group up under a rim (behind me) that sang at me as I was setting up so I didn't expect any business from them... but on my way back to the rig I saw where two sets of coyote tracks had been running down the slope and the apparent lead dog hit my fresh footprints and there were 18" skid marks going right thru them and then tracks tearing back up the slope. The wind was in my favor, and I know they didn't see me.

So yep, count me as a believer in what coyotes do when they come across your fresh path!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: LodgepoleThat being said ,what if any measures do you folks take to lessen the amount of your scent ? do you feel it is pointless to try at all ?

I don't know if it's entirely pointless for everyone in all situations or not.

But I don't make any effort at all. I smoke cigars in the truck between stands. I fill the truck with gas, eat, fart, often sleep in my hunting clothes and don't change them for a couple days and then don't wash them when I get home. I'd rather just try and obey the wind than to lose out on all that good cigar smoking and farting and stuff.

- DAA

I wish I could like this reply more.

Dont bother. If they are down wind you are busted. You may, slim chance, have a youngster ignore it for some reason. I killed a couple of half grown or better pups that walked up a logging road on my scent trail one time. The dumb ones dont last.

While I'm not a huge believer in scent blockers, I do think they help. What I do like is my ozone bag. I've had to many experiences with deer before and after purchasing the ozone bag. Even this year I was just sitting on a down tree, had a 6 pointer walk up to me, never smell me but saw me at 30 yards. Buck went to my side, stopped, tried to smell me for 10+ minutes, and crept closer before finally continuing on.

As for dogs smelling drugs etc. Ozone has proven to mess with dogs finding humans or drugs.

Side note.. the bag works awesome for getting rid of odors of anything that can fit inside it. My kids are in sports, and I've saved multiple pairs of stank shoes by putting them in the bag. Some were so bad after practice that the shoes road in the box of my truck as I couldn't take it. 60 minutes of ozone and they had zero stink.

Originally Posted By: SEMN CoyoteWhile I'm not a huge believer in scent blockers, I do think they help. What I do like is my ozone bag. I've had to many experiences with deer before and after purchasing the ozone bag. Even this year I was just sitting on a down tree, had a 6 pointer walk up to me, never smell me but saw me at 30 yards. Buck went to my side, stopped, tried to smell me for 10+ minutes, and crept closer before finally continuing on.

As for dogs smelling drugs etc. Ozone has proven to mess with dogs finding humans or drugs.

Side note.. the bag works awesome for getting rid of odors of anything that can fit inside it. My kids are in sports, and I've saved multiple pairs of stank shoes by putting them in the bag. Some were so bad after practice that the shoes road in the box of my truck as I couldn't take it. 60 minutes of ozone and they had zero stink.

you are fairly new to hunting coyotes. stick with it and you will rethink all of that. coyotes are not deer.

Back