Nov 11 hunt.

Doc25

Well I got out yesterday afternoon for an hour or so.

Drove out to some public land late in the afternoon. Parked at the gate and walked back parallel to the road. Set my foxpro in a little clearing about 100 yards off the road. Was playing distress sounds and around the 18 minute mark in skulks a coyote from out of the woods. He started coming straight for the call that was about 30-40 yards away from me. He pauses and offers a quartering towards shot and I take it. Coyote drops but keeps moving so I let go another shot to anchor him.

Foxbang kicks in after the first shot and a screaming jack distress at full volume is playing. I let it play for a while then swap back to other distress calls.

At the 26 minute mark in skulks another coyote. He must have smelled the first and figured he might find a meal. This one offers a broadside with it's head out of view behind a tree. I shoot and the coyote spins and runs off. I see him crashing through the bush but loose sight of him.
I wait a few minutes hopefully for him to bleed out and go check on number one. Huge tears in the fur and after I piece the scenario together realize that they are entrance wounds not exit. Not sure if the bullets broke up or what but the pelt is pretty much destroyed.

Start the search for number 2 and the reason I lost sight of him is because he fell to the ground. Only damage to the fur was the little entrance hole.

Last year I switched to nosler varmegeddon 32 gr hp from my usual 32 gr vmax. I haven't seen the usual bang flops that I've gotten used to with this little rifle so I'm going back to the vmax and see if it changes anything. Luckily I had about 1/2 a box left so loaded some ammo today.

Usually I don't get out hunting until after deer season. This year I'm doing pretty good before, while furs still aren't prime it's nice to be able to get out and get some before they get scared off or shot by the deer hunters.

Well done Doc on getting the double! too bad about the pelt damage on the first one.
I had mixed results with various 32's shot out of my 20 Cal.'s but found the V-max and Sierra's to preform the best. The 35 gr Berger performed better out of my 20 Tactical, and 38 gr. Wildcats worked well out of the 204. Shot a few coyotes with both 32 gr. V max & Sierra's out of my 20 VarTarg. The 20VT loved the 32 grainers.

Thanks for the info snowshoes. This 204 used to hit like the hammer of Thor with the vmax. Changed back and got out yesterday.

Made one stand and saw one coyote but didn't get the shot off. He came straight out of the woods and stared at me. Wouldn't go to the call. By the time he moved a bit so that I could get the gun on him he just kept going deeper into the woods and disappeared. Well there's always next time.

Last edited:
Good job on getting out and getting to shoot at something. It really bums me to when theres damage. I think it can happen with any bullet really. When its close like that I think the chances are even higher.

Ive only shot the 35 bergs out of my 204 so I cant help yeah there.

Hey Titch, you been out yet this year?
Saw you're working on a new 223 w/90 gr pills. Planning on f/tr next year?

Last edited:
Hey man

Just been out a couple times now. My normal spot doesnt open up till like Dec 8th cause its the shotgun/ML/archery zone but I did just get some new land to go on until then from the Hutterites. Its pretty slow there as they have taken out over a 100 in their snares already.

The one I have shot this year was one of my heaviest yet, couldnt hold him up for long. He was a old male with worn out teeth that really wanted to fight me, serious. We were done calling already and standing around when I looked over and he popped up out of nowhere at 300 coming straight for me. Standing on a hill with the sun in my face he kept coming. So I had to put him down. Felt like he would of came all the way in. Weirdest thing Ive seen in awhile.

As for the 223, I just really like shooting the 223. Great little round. Everyone says if you want to learn how to shoot buy a 308 or 6.5 something. I say buy a 223 and really learn how to shoot.
smile.gif
Ive been to one match so far but yes Im planning on getting into it more and Im hoping these 90's will shoot good. If I go that route.

Last edited:
Back