Looking for a little 1-7 ar load help!

Matthew M-16

Hey guys needing a little help/suggestions on some loads for my 24” 1-7 twist .223 ar... bought it and didn’t pay attention to the twist when I purchased it. I like having the ability to shoot the heavy bullets but I got it for coyotes and bob cats so want to shoot 55-60 grains. Atm I’ve loaded up the following. But am worried the fast twist and long barrel might be to much for at least 1moa minimum.

Hornady v-max 55g
Cci military primers
H335 23-25 grain increasing .5 grains till max of 25 gains(testing 24.5 and 25g today)
Coal 2.265

Sierra varmit hp 60g
Cci military primers
H335 23-25g(testing my 23, 23.5, 24 today)
Coal 2.265

I’m wanting to give noslers ballistic silver tip varmits in 55g a try as well since it’s not a flat base, does anyone have any experience with them in this fast of twist? Looking for any suggestions on loads I should give a try as well as any 5-10 round mags that will allow me to seat the bullet a little farther out. Thanks for the help guys!

Every barrel is gonna be a little different in its preferences, you are just going to have to try different loads to find what it likes. Fastest twist I have is an 8, but I have shot sub MOA groups with it with 35 grain non-toxic bullets. I think that if you do some load development you should be able to find a load that works for you.

Personally, I would take a fast twist over a slower just for the ability to shoot a greater range of bullet weights. (in theory) Also, seems to me the faster twists give a fair amount more bullet upset when they contact a critter. (Splat factor in prairie dogs, for instance)This is just my personal observation and experience, nothing scientific. Good luck.

You should be able to get some of those bullets shooting decent groups. Testing ammo in half grain increments might be a little tough though, I usually load in .26gr increments and when it comes to finding the accuracy nodes that last quarter grain makes a big difference.

If you cant get those bullets working try some 65gr gamekings.

Oh, and I just noticed your over all length. You probably wont get very good groups until you seat them at least .010" further, I've never seen an AR shoot any ammo loaded over 2.250 shoot worth a dang. 2.245 to 2.235 depending on bullets is where I usually end up.

Your 2.250 is ok for c.o.l. makes them easier to load in the mag. I have shot everything from 40 gr BK to 75 gr HPBT in my barrel of 7.5 twist. It like some better than others but doesn't hate anything. I shoot 50 gr VMax for everything that moves on it's own. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a Yote or a prairie dog. Shoot what you want and let the rifle tell you what it wants.

CFE 223

try some. you might like what you find. seems to be happy in my 20" 1:7 right about 100% case fill. have several loads with 55gr-75gr bullets that the groups just go from ( ) to 'o' right as i approach max charge. its a beautiful thing. single digit SD's with cci 400's in both FC and LC brass. meters amazing too.

seems very forgiving on the pressure at those types of load density's too.

its quickly turning into one of my favorite 223 powders.

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneCFE 223

try some. you might like what you find. seems to be happy in my 20" 1:7 right about 100% case fill. have several loads with 55gr-75gr bullets that the groups just go from ( ) to 'o' right as i approach max charge. its a beautiful thing. single digit SD's with cci 400's in both FC and LC brass. meters amazing too.

seems very forgiving on the pressure at those types of load density's too.

its quickly turning into one of my favorite 223 powders.

Thanks guys this helps a lot i didn’t actually get out and shoot like I wanted. But all the advice has helped! I’m going to load up some more loads to fill the gap between the .5 incriminates I have already made and lower my coal to 2.250 per your suggestions. I was worried about pressure and figured longer might be better as with bolt actions... gonna pick up some more powders as well still new to this reloading and have a lot to learn!

That being said I know this is the wrong section but I’m wanting to build a .17-223 with 20” barrel anyone have any Black Friday suggestion on good barrel deals wanting to complete the build by January so I can still take it out for bob cats!

Originally Posted By: longrange454I've been wanting try CFE 223, but at this time can't see adding another powder to what I already have. Maybe i'll just have to give in.

i was kind of with you ... until i did that first ladder test. opened my eyes up. and it meters like a dream.

the numbers tell the tale, this is some data from my 20", suppressed, over my magnetospeed

55gr vmax = 3262 fps 6.4 SD
68gr hpbt = 2980 fps 9.6 SD
75gr bthp = 2751 fps 9.1 SD

I've got a DPMS that began life with a junk 16" barrel. I swapped it out for a 7 twist YHM Barrel. I then went out and spent a couple hundred dollars on factory ammo. I tried multiple 55 grain rounds and then 1 of everything I could get my hands on all the way up to 77g SMKs. The federal premium ammo loaded with 77smks shot the best with a .47" group @ 100 yards. next was the hornady ammo loaded with the 55 Vmax. This shot just over .75" @ 100 yards. Everything else I tried was well over an inch @ 100... That being said, I feel the best way to find out what your gun likes before buying all your reloading supplies is to try some factory ammo. Find one it likes, and then reload trying to match the results of the factory ammo.

Back