Questions on pvs14

Huntingbob

I am researching a pair of pcs14 goggles that I may be able to get at a price that is pretty low and want to learn as much as I can about pvs 14's. My dad has a pvs14 that he bought from US night vision a couple years ago. I don't know anything about the company or their products and wanted advice on what they are worth. All I know is they are gen 3 and run off of 1 cr123 battery, which seems odd because it seems like AA is the standard. He seems to think they aren't available to public anymore. But I know nothing yet about night vision. What are some things I need to look for or know to compare them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HuntingbobI am researching a pair of pcs14 goggles that I may be able to get at a price that is pretty low and want to learn as much as I can about pvs 14's. My dad has a pvs14 that he bought from US night vision a couple years ago. I don't know anything about the company or their products and wanted advice on what they are worth. All I know is they are gen 3 and run off of 1 cr123 battery, which seems odd because it seems like AA is the standard. He seems to think they aren't available to public anymore. But I know nothing yet about night vision. What are some things I need to look for or know to compare them? Check out hightechredneck a sponsor on this sight has pvs-14 plus videos.

Hi Bob, please check out our web site of our TNV-14's we have in thin filmed green and filmless White Phosphor L3 Mil Spec tubes that have an approx. 25% low light performance increase over thin filmed if you go in that direction. These tubes have incredibly high spec and all our TNV-14's we build have a TEN YEAR bumper to bumper warranty.

Please feel free to PM me or give us a call.We have sold a thousand + of these systems over the years. Thank you.
https://tnvc.com/shop/category/night-vision-monoculars/

I probably didn't explain correct. My dad has a pvs14 that I can probably pickup from him for $1,000. I was wanting feedback on us night vision products and about pcs 14's that use cr123 instead of AA batteries.

Are you sure that what your dad has is not a MUM-14, (Mini 14), instead of a PVS14?
I think that the MUM-14's run off of CR123's, but can be converted to run off of AA's. They are slightly smaller and lighter than a PVS14.
I think that I have heard that a PVS14 can be converted to run off of CR123's but I have never seen one.
If it is a MUM-14, check into the availability/cost of mounts, etc, if you plan to helmet or weapon mount it.

Last edited:
If I wanted to spend about $2000 on a setup for coyotes. Would I be better off getting a thermal scope like a flir pts223. Or the used gen3 monocular from my dad for $1000,then I would have to get a helmet and something to aim with like a dbal. That would put me in the same price range as a thermal. Thermal seems like the way to go, but is have to scan with the gun.

Last edited:
I understand your dilemma.
First I would try out the NV that your dad has and see how well it performs. If it is in good working condition, and it is gen 3, $1000.00 does not sound like a bad deal. If he bought it from a retailer he should have the data sheet.
If you like it I would call someone who carries the MUM-14, Nivisys is one, and ask what mount it uses.
It might use a standard J-arm, I don't know.
Then you have to decide if you want to go with a helmet mounted NV and weapon mounted laser. I use that set up a lot. It works very well for close hunting. If you plan to hunt big fields where your shots might be 100 yds+ then a magnified weapon mounted scope would be a better choice in my opinion.
Then there is the ongoing debate on positive ID with thermal. There are guys here who claim positive ID at 100's of yards, I am not one of those guys.
You can scan/ID with a NV monocular and shoot with thermal but I prefer to do it the other way around.

Back