Cartridge/bullet combination that generally won't exit on hogs

rickt300

I am in need of a load that will quickly kill feral hogs with both chest and head hits that anything that exits will be small fragments yet I need the hogs to go down quickly. Thinking a 257,270,7MM with the heaviest varmint bullets they have? Need this for feral hog control in a gated community.

Is that the only calibers you plan on shooting?
for 270 maybe the 120SST? Ive been using them in a 6.8 at ~2500FPS and rarely ever get exits unless its a gut shot. But every time i try for a 2 for 1 shot i never get an exit.

Speer TNT 90gr in the 270 should be a explosive round. Never messed with a .257 or 7mm so i cant help

In .30 cal the Hornady A-Max bullet or Nosler BT is what you want.

I've shot a lot of hogs at ranges from 20 yards to almost 200 yards with the 168 A-Max with no exit.

Have you tried Barnes TSX bullets? Might be worth a consideration. Of course these bullets don't fragment.

Originally Posted By: yotekiller476.5 Grendel or .264 LBC with 123 to 130 gr. bullet would work great.

I have a 16 inch barreled Grendel that I typically load 129 gr. Hornady SP's in but the HOA old ladies don't like the looks of the rifle so I can't use it there! Plus it really penetrates too well. I was going to run the 123 gr. AMAX but the ugly gun thing stopped me.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanIs that the only calibers you plan on shooting?
for 270 maybe the 120SST? Ive been using them in a 6.8 at ~2500FPS and rarely ever get exits unless its a gut shot. But every time i try for a 2 for 1 shot i never get an exit.

Speer TNT 90gr in the 270 should be a explosive round. Never messed with a .257 or 7mm so i cant help

I have decided to test the 120 SST pushed to 2850 fps in my 270 hoping to get the same results you got at a lower velocity. I think the higher velocity may just break the bullet up a bit faster.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerI have killed a lot of hogs with the 60 vmax in a .223

My 1-7 inch twisted AR was my first choice using the Hornady 75 gr HPBT but they don't want any "Black rifles" on the property. I have a ton of Hornady 60 gr. HP's that shoot well in my 1-9 twisted Howa but I have had many pigs chest hit that went too far in the dark to find. I don't get paid for the hogs found rotting in back yards. Perhaps a fast twist 22-250 and a 75 gr bullet at 3300 fps would make the .224 diameter a quicker killer

Originally Posted By: gotspots308 with a 130 speer HP.

I can do that. My NV rifle could easily be changed to a load that would run the 130 Speer HP at 2300fps no problem. Good idea.

Back