Pressured Coyotes Tips/Tricks

Bad Dawg

Hey guys. There are a couple of packs in an area that I hunt that are EXTREMLY pressured. It’s on state land that is used by hunters/hikers a lot. These yotes are strictly nocturnal, but also will not respond at night either. They’ll lite up and I can hear them, so I know they are there, but getting them to come in is just not happening.

What are some of your guys tips/tricks for hunting pressured yotes?

Things I’ve tried:

1) Hunting Woods only at night
2) Scents (fox, yote, deer, rabbit)
3) range of different distress calls and yote calls
4) hand calls and electronic calls

I’ve seen it many times on this forum. Hunters claiming that they can drop ‘em out west or in the east with consistency. Well, show me and I’ll show you my gratitude. I will apply your technique just like you tell me to.

If someone helps me land one of these yotes by one of your tips/tricks, I’ll send you a $50 gift card to Amazon!

*** no baiting or trapping tips. I’m looking to call ‘em in.

Last edited:
Might try bird distress calls, ie woodpecker. Fox distress is good. What I do is hit the sounds I've never tried. Good luck, they can be very perplexing.
mad.gif

Ok WyYoteKiller. What you told me to do is saved to my phone and will be applied first! I’ll let you know if it works and if so you’ll receive a $50 gift card to Amazon.

First set tonight will be only bird distress and fox distress.

Skip the distress and use coyote vocals only. Create a conversation, even if it's with yourself (ie, no response from the coyotes). Move that conversation into a fight sound and end it with pup distress.

Good luck

I have the same experiences as you hearing about everybody bringing all these coyotes in to the call and killing them. What I have found to work the best is to use some off the wall noise something they haven’t heard. Almost every time I go out at nite I have called in coyotes l. Have had very good luck doing it at nite time. Now during the day I have callled in a few but it’s very limited I’m still learning. If there is farmers around with cows try calf distress. If using vocals I try to stay with no threaten howls or the female noises more. Good luck hope you get some fur down. What type of land are you hunting flat, hilly, wooded?

Try house cat yowling. I have had dogs my entire life, and every time they hear a cat fight, they have erupted instantly, even if they had never heard a cat before. I use mouth calls, and am working on that sound right now.

Good luck!

mhammer’s tip is second set. I saved it to my phone and will do just that.

* I will be applying these tips more than once. I’ll continue to apply them in the order they get posted. For instance, if I make four sets in one night, I’ll start with the first tip, then move down the line in order. If there are more than 5 tips suggested for instance, then the next day I hunt I’ll start with the 5th tip, until I work my way back to the first.

Originally Posted By: zr600I have the same experiences as you hearing about everybody bringing all these coyotes in to the call and killing them. What I have found to work the best is to use some off the wall noise something they haven’t heard. Almost every time I go out at nite I have called in coyotes l. Have had very good luck doing it at nite time. Now during the day I have callled in a few but it’s very limited I’m still learning. If there is farmers around with cows try calf distress. If using vocals I try to stay with no threaten howls or the female noises more. Good luck hope you get some fur down. What type of land are you hunting flat, hilly, wooded?

Hi zr. Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried those calls. I appreciate it though!

In the area that I referred to in my post is rolling, wooded hills with small creeks working their way down to a river.

There is no farm land in this area.

Just a thought but if you are calling timber at night the coyotes are not likely there. In my area at least they leave the timber at dark or shortly after and move to the fields to hunt.

Pack a shotgun and get in the timber during the day. Very few people hunt the timber here and I kill several every year because of that. Be careful with the volume, set up 50yds down wind of your caller but make sure you can still see the caller and try grey squirrel distress. That sound has been killer for me in the timber!

PLOTBOSS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PLOTBOSSJust a thought but if you are calling timber at night the coyotes are not likely there. In my area at least they leave the timber at dark or shortly after and move to the fields to hunt.

Pack a shotgun and get in the timber during the day. Very few people hunt the timber here and I kill several every year because of that. Be careful with the volume, set up 50yds down wind of your caller but make sure you can still see the caller and try grey squirrel distress. That sound has been killer for me in the timber!

PLOTBOSS

Hi Plot. I have tried the fields at night in this area with no success. These dogs are SMART! I’ve also tried in the timber during the day, with no success also.

I have not tried grey squirrel distress and have not tried setting up 50 yards downwind of the caller with the caller visible. I will do as you tell me to do!

Plotboss’s suggestions are fourth!

Remember, watch your volume! I rarely exceed 10-12 on calm days with my Fury. I like short sets, 10-15 min and no need to move far between sets, 300yds or so...If you have turkeys in your area those sounds work well also. Coyotes sneak in like cats when coming to turkey sounds!

PLOTBOSS

Originally Posted By: Bad Dawghave not tried setting up 50 yards downwind of the caller with the caller visible.

i mostly call to dumb coyotes so i can not be of much help on the smart ones.

but i am curious about how you usually set up? where do you put the caller?

I’m no great caller but use calls they probably haven’t heard before. Dig deep into the foxpro library and buy some sounds that you may have never considered. I agree with the bird sounds they are down right deadly In my pressured areas and I’d say to throw a decoy out there if you haven’t tried that I know not every one likes them but every one I have called in was laser focused on that thing. My best stands have been very first stand of the morning when it’s just barely light enough. We can’t night hunt in most areas here.

Originally Posted By: IamjuggernautIf you have a foxpro try the sound red bellied woodpecker #1

Someone already suggested using Woodpecker but thanks for the response!

I have tried decoys during the day. But, I think these yotes are strictly nocturnal, and I’m not sure if a decoy would work at night?

I like juggernauts approach, first light. I would add to that, hand calls and call that first stand for an hour. Run the call 3 or 4 minutes at a time with equal amount of silence if not more. I do this on cold mornings in WMA's that have pheasant hunters marching through when it starts to warm up. Bring a comfy seat!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bad Dawghave not tried setting up 50 yards downwind of the caller with the caller visible.

i mostly call to dumb coyotes so i can not be of much help on the smart ones.

but i am curious about how you usually set up? where do you put the caller?

Hey slick I usually set up in a crosswind, and try to sit downwind a bit of the caller.

I need to start paying more attention to this though.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterI like juggernauts approach, first light. I would add to that, hand calls and call that first stand for an hour. Run the call 3 or 4 minutes at a time with equal amount of silence if not more. I do this on cold mornings in WMA's that have pheasant hunters marching through when it starts to warm up. Bring a comfy seat!

West.Mass.Hunter is sixth with running the call 3-4 minutes and equal silence. Sitting on stand for one hour.

Are you telling me to strictly use hand calls when I do this? Because I will be doing “exactly” as you tell me to do.

Last edited:
Back