Sucker born everyday

pyscodog

This time it wasn't me though.
A stealer at the "Big" show had a 788 Remington for sale. It had a nice factory stock finished really nice, a Timney trigger (so I was told) and a Stainless heavy barrel in 257 Robt. After some more looking, the dealer tells me its a Douglas barrel with only 3 test rounds fired. Looking a little more, I noticed stamped on the barrel, Remington Arms Company, Ilion N.Y. USA. Then 257 Robt. He claims he installed the barrel. So......why does it say Rem...........? Think I might be played the fool? It was a very nice rifle, way over priced IMO, but still a nice rifle in a great caliber but don't think I'm buying the Douglas barrel part.

Sucks that he wouldn't just advertise it as what it is and get the money it is truly worth.

The gun shows around here are small. New/used guns, but not to many things that have been altered much beyond factory specs.

This show was Wanamacher. Worlds largest show. Lots of guns, gun dealers to. If you never been, you should go at least once. I agree, he should have sold it as it was as it was still a nice rifle but not for the $900 asking price. He's waiting for the "don't know any better" person for the purchase.

I see all kinds at the gunshows, the Son likes going. I don't pretend to be an expert, it can be hard at times also with no opportunity to shoot a gun. At one recently there was a guy walking the isle with a seemingly lower priced M1 Garand. I saw him leave a military table then asked the dealer at the table about the gun. He said that gun was an accident waiting to happen, $300 tops. It had a funky finish and was of some questionable make.

I looked at a 'Browning A-5' the other week. Don't really need one, but have had a mild interest. The local seller said 'he thinks it was made in Belgium'. I look at some more details & see it was made by Remington in the early 40's, stamped Browning. Not that it was a deal breaker, the price was a little high too.

At the last gunshow I talked to a guy carrying an A-5 in the isle for sale. He told me they sell for $1000 all the time on Gunbroker. As I left he was still carrying it around. I think he was using it as a conversation piece.

Well, I said it wasn't me. But.....maybe it was after all. I went to the Wannamacher again on Sunday and found a sweet Remington Varmint Special in pristine shape, 243 Remington. Price was good so I bought it. I didn't get around to shooting it until this morning and turns out its been AI'ed and they didn't mark the barrel. Of course I have sold my dies a few years ago so now I have to replace the dies and fire form brass again. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog I didn't get around to shooting it until this morning and turns out its been AI'ed and they didn't mark the barrel. Of course I have sold my dies a few years ago so now I have to replace the dies and fire form brass again. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Shucks, Bill. I'd say that a Good Thing as long as the barrel has not been toasted. Getting a bit more steam seems worthwhile to me. My heavy varminter is a .243 AI and I hope to get my first 800 yard prairie dog kill with it next year. Hope to anyway.

I'd say it's good. Should be a 9 1/8" twist and 95vld's will stabilize if your a long range guy. I only have one set of 243ai dies or I'd help you out.

Back