Starter Equipment

sjaustin

New to coyote hunting and looking for some suggestions on basic line up of gear/equipment everyone carries on a hunt or what I should look into getting, aside from the obvious of a rifle w/ optics.

I like a good bipod and a good chair. Where I hunt the grass can be knee high so I like to get my butt off the ground for better visibility.

I'm using Primos Double Bull Blind chair and Primos Rapid Pivot Bipod. I have been using them for 10 years or so.

Next would be a good sling for the rifle. I like one that I can cinch down tight and have both hands free.

A good electronic call and a couple mouth calls around my neck.

A paracord drag.

Good hunting boots, good socks.
Water. Snacky snacks.
Warm weather gloves and cold weather gloves.
Camo Face mask, maybe one for warm and one for cold but I only use one for both. Since you're in NM one should be fine.
Kings Camo.

I wear a light weight Gillie jacket as it works weather it is sub-zero or 90 I can adjust from a tee shirt to a heavy sweater under it, I have some camo pant but have found cotten dress pants or heavy woolpants work just fine as long as the sort of match the surounding brush darker tan or lighter greys. Bellow the waist there is usually enough brush to break things up. For winter an inexpensive white light weight cover and just light grey wool pants in the brush or light weight while over pants in the open. I use a low turkey seat in hill country or just a pad, it flatter sage country a three legged stool, I carry my rifle in a back scabard, as it leaves my arms free to ride my bike or ski, shooting sticks, drag, and stool go in or on the scabbard w/matches and lighter, knife, small flashlight and compass.

Last edited:
In my book..."MUST HAVES":

#1) You must find land to hunt. But not simply land. It MUST be land that has coyotes/predators either living on...or at the very least, traveling thru on a regular basis.
Without that, you're just spending time in the outdoors.

#2) Two to four good-quality (preferably customs) hand calls. And, IMHO, at least two of them need to be truly "variable pitch" open reed calls, so you can do a very wide variety of sounds.
But, having the calls is only 10% of it. The other 90% is to practice, practice, practice until you are proficient with them.
Proficient enough that when you stick the call in your mouth, all you need to do is "think" about which sound you want to make...and the call is already at the exact location on the reed that you need it to be.
As you have practiced, you have also learned how to create the "painful inflections" that really make a sound, sound like something's being torn apart.

#3) A good seat. Whether it's a cushion for sitting on the ground, or some sort of stool or chair.
You're going to be sitting in one spot for a while (15 to 45 min).
If you aren't comfy, you are going to be fidgeting around, making movements that can give you away to any incoming critter.
Depending on what you want, the seat might weigh a pound...or it might weigh several pounds.

#4) Some sort of shooting rest.
You can spend $50-$200 for various brands of shooting sticks, or bipods. Depending on what you want.
Or, if you are handy with tools, you can go to your local hardware/home store. Spend $10-$15 dollars on: 2 "garden stakes" (1/2" or 3/4" diameter, and 3'to 4' length); a nylon bushing; a #10 machine screw & nut; 2 flat washers; 2 lock washers; and a foot of rubber (or plastic) tubing hose.....and create your own set of shooting sticks.
It's not hard to do. It'll take longer to buy the supplies than it will to make.
I have made a few myself.

Realistically, that, IMHO, are the only "MUST HAVES".

That being said, a person can spend what they want, and buy all the new gadgets. And that is fine too.

I don't use one in the field, I'm more than comfortable with a compass. To me it is just too much to deal with, I would like to have one in my duck boat to get back to the landing in the fog though.

In my truck I have a Garmin, actually I have two. One is loaded with a Kirsch Outdoors 8 western state chip and the other is an old one that I keep loaded with a Kirsch Pacific Northwest chip, WA, OR and ID that aren't on the 8 state. The old one still worked so it is easier to find and plug in than switching mini-SD chips.

It is one of the better investments in hunting gear that I've made, with private land patch-worked with public, no fences or signs and tough no-trespass laws it is almost hard to be without one. I do keep a file of BLM maps of the areas that I hunt so I can lay out a hunting plan in the camper at night. The next day the truck GPS shows me when I transit from one parcel to the next. I usually hunt coyotes in three to five different states every year. Almost all of it cold calling new areas.

Last edited:
In New Mexico, with about 50/50 public private, a good GPS with landowner chip is very useful. No reason to question the legality of your hunt location.

Here's my gear list for my part of NM - rifle (AR in .223), 12 ga. shotgun with #4 buck, Mojo Critter Sitter, 2" butt pad, Primos Trigger Sticks (bipod), FoxPro Shockwave, several hand calls (most custom), random camo clothes, face mask, gloves. I also have an Alaska Guide Creations chest rig (aka the Snuggle Buddy) in which I keep a binocular, camera, rangefinder, handheld GPS, wind check powder, a lighter, and an extra hand call. The butt pad, e-caller, and shooting sticks are in or strapped onto the Critter Sitter, which I can wear like a backpack.

When I leave the truck, I'm ready to call any kind of terrain. I can sit flat on the butt pad, sit in my chair with sticks, or stand with sticks. I can shoot a rifle or shotgun, but often pick just one when. If I'm alone, I usually take the rifle. When teamed up, I carry the shotgun and leave longer shots to more skilled shooters.
grin.gif

I have all kinds of crap in the truck to support a day or more in the desert, but that's a different post...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sjaustinHow about a gps? Any recommendations or wisdom on one of those?

If you are a coyote caller, which I assume you are, then watch Craiglist or some type of site like this. You can pick up Garmin Nuvi or Drive series automotive GPS units for very affordable prices when people decide all they need for a GPS is their smartphone. Once you have the GPS, then it is a matter of selecting/purchasing the hunting maps you want to load on the unit. The GPS with a good hunting map can help you find public land, find water locations, read terrain, and much more. I also use a GPS to mark where I have successfully harvested coyotes, seen and/or heard coyotes, denning sites and more.

As far as gear for the field, I carry a hunting seat/chair, e-caller on tripod, rangefinder, binos, drag, and a few of my favorite hand calls. You will find carrying a ton of stuff to be an issue. I use a bino harness that carries everything but the gun with bipod, chair and caller.

If you are new to the sport, see if you can connect up with someone locally who has been hunting for a few years, and it can shorten your learning curve a ton. They can also help you weed through what you need and may not need for your style of hunting

if you're going for a handheld gps i would strongly avoid getting a used car GPS for a couple reasons

the batteries arent serviceable and most of them are trashed after only a year or two of daily use in a vehicle - especially if exposed to winter/summer extreme temps when left in the vehicle year round.

2nd is the fact of on-board storage capability of many of them. (see below)

find a good standalone like a garmin 650 (T series have topo capabilities) or similar class device. these can be had on sale (NEW) for the low to mid 300's and up depending on the model/make you choose. I'm sure used ones can be had for less than that.

the reason i recommend going to that class of a unit or nicer is map storage capacity. When you get into the feature packed maps like OnXHunt maps with all the state plat data, backcountry trails and whatnot - the smaller (less feature packed units/entry priced) units dont have enough on-board storage to load the map data. I had to upgrade mine when i bought the chip which is how i found out that little issue.

and being that these use replaceable batteries, you dont have to worry about buying a unit without user serviceable batteries that are now destroyed due to age/abuse/etc.

just something to consider.

[edit] and a good quality rechargeable battery can be used with them for backcountry charging via a small solar panel, etc if needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canislatrans54In my book..."MUST HAVES":

#1) You must find land to hunt. But not simply land. It MUST be land that has coyotes/predators either living on...or at the very least, traveling thru on a regular basis.
Without that, you're just spending time in the outdoors.

#2) Two to four good-quality (preferably customs) hand calls. And, IMHO, at least two of them need to be truly "variable pitch" open reed calls, so you can do a very wide variety of sounds.
But, having the calls is only 10% of it. The other 90% is to practice, practice, practice until you are proficient with them.
Proficient enough that when you stick the call in your mouth, all you need to do is "think" about which sound you want to make...and the call is already at the exact location on the reed that you need it to be.
As you have practiced, you have also learned how to create the "painful inflections" that really make a sound, sound like something's being torn apart.

#3) A good seat. Whether it's a cushion for sitting on the ground, or some sort of stool or chair.
You're going to be sitting in one spot for a while (15 to 45 min).
If you aren't comfy, you are going to be fidgeting around, making movements that can give you away to any incoming critter.
Depending on what you want, the seat might weigh a pound...or it might weigh several pounds.

#4) Some sort of shooting rest.
You can spend $50-$200 for various brands of shooting sticks, or bipods. Depending on what you want.
Or, if you are handy with tools, you can go to your local hardware/home store. Spend $10-$15 dollars on: 2 "garden stakes" (1/2" or 3/4" diameter, and 3'to 4' length); a nylon bushing; a #10 machine screw & nut; 2 flat washers; 2 lock washers; and a foot of rubber (or plastic) tubing hose.....and create your own set of shooting sticks.
It's not hard to do. It'll take longer to buy the supplies than it will to make.
I have made a few myself.

Realistically, that, IMHO, are the only "MUST HAVES".

That being said, a person can spend what they want, and buy all the new gadgets. And that is fine too.

+1 on the above quote. As far as GPS units go, I use one all of the time tagging Raccoon den tree locations.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneif you're going for a handheld gps i would strongly avoid getting a used car GPS for a couple reasons

the batteries arent serviceable and most of them are trashed after only a year or two of daily use in a vehicle - especially if exposed to winter/summer extreme temps when left in the vehicle year round.

2nd is the fact of on-board storage capability of many of them. (see below)

The point I was making is many coyote hunters don't need a handheld GPS because they are simply driving spot to spot, and then walking a few hundred yards, making a stand, and on to their next spot. In this situation, a Garmin automotive GPS is fine because it never leaves the vehicle. I agree an automotive GPS is not a great handheld solution. When in the vehicle, it is plugged in, so battery life isn't a big deal. In addition, you will find tons of automotive GPS units which have never even been used due to people getting smartphones or getting them as gifts. Refurbished or "NOH - Newly Overhauled" Garmins also can save a person money on a budget. The price of an automotive GPS is typically 50% less than a handheld, has a 2-3x bigger screen, and can be great for coyote hunting. I wouldn't say the same thing for Elk hunting etc.

As far as memory, if you are purchasing custom hunting maps, they will most likely be on pre-loaded memory cards, so internal memory isn't much of an issue unless you are downloading things like birds-eye satellite imagery, or trying to update the basemaps of the GPS (which can be an issue).

I didn't mean to hijack this thread and make it all about GPS usage, but I own a GPS mapping company, I also own probably 20 different GPS units due to this so I believe I am fairly qualified on this subject. I am also a diehard coyote hunter, and 95% of the time when I am coyote hunting, I am running a Garmin automotive GPS with a hunting chip in it. Since I have so many at my disposal there are a few unique situations where I turn to a handheld. However, when I am driving down the road looking for coyote locations, I would prefer looking at my 7" Garmin automotive vs a 2-3" handheld screen.

point well taken - i had poorly assumed that you were talking for in-field use and not so much spot-to-spot use.

for vehicle navigation a window/dash mounted unit makes all the sense in the world.

happy hunting!

Back