65 SGK 223 loads

Rock Knocker

I'm about to make a few loads to test out the 65gr Sierra Game Kings.

I've got Benchmark, H335, Varget and CFE223 powders to play with. I'm going to start with CCI450 primers and Lake City brass.

16" BHW 1-8 twist barrel that seems to like the higher loads I give it.

Thanks for any help!

Given your location and the wide range of temps you could be shooting in throughout the year I would try Varget and Benchmark first. I am quite positive you will find a very good load with Varget at the near max book loads.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesStart with the CFE223, then Varget, save the others for lighter bullets.

i'm with this. varget seems to like heavier bullets in the 223, and my tests so far with cfe223 have been solid all the way around. cfe223 seems to like being right around 100% case fill - every bullet i've tried i've found a nice ES/SD node right near or at max published data.

start with those two powders and see what you come up with
smile.gif

I shot this bullet around 2850fps out of a Asi mini 14. Worked ok in coyotes got some out to 300 yds. They would run a bit more than I’d like. I had very good results with 50gr nbt at 3200fps. DRT and little fur damage most of the time. Sierra 55gr HP straight out sucked. Way to hard felt like I was using fmj.

Thanks, CFE and Varget were what I was thinking too. Tried CFE for 53gr Vmax and WOW 12"+ groups... Hopefully it's better pushing a little more lead.

I wish I had a chronograph to test things in the polygonal twist barrel, it really keeps pressures low compared to the couple other AR barrels I've had, max loads with my other barrels don't register any pressure signs in this barrel. I used to shoot a stout load of 25.5g Varget with 69 SMKs, tried that load in this barrel and I couldn't even fit enough varget to show any pressure warnings.

This load will hopefully be used on some hogs down south this winter, I've got Hornady 50's, Berger 52's and 53 Vmaxs for coyotes. Tried for a couple years to find a higher end bullet and powder combo for hunting that matches the performance of my cheap H335 and Hornady 50g SP load.

I worked up 2 loads with the 65gk using varget and cfe223 but I don't have the data in front of me now. They were both near max and both shot well, but the cfe was slightly better. That is in a ruger 77 hawkeye 1-9" 22" barrel.

I got sub moa in a 20” AR Krieger 1-7.7 twist with a close to book max Load using Varget and Winchester s/r primers . COL was 2.260
Soup

Varget gives good accuracy with the heavier 223 bullets. CFE223 will give more speed, probably 100 fps more in a 16" barrel. That is something to consider too

65 SGK/Varget was my go-to coyote load out of my 223 AI AR until the 69 TMK came along. Killed many a coyote to some long ranges with it. Made my longest kill with it at 565 several years ago. Great bullet I thought!

223AI AR, I've been thinking about trying one out for a long time. I've got a spare barrel laying around now I was thinking about reaming out. Had any problems with it feeding correctly?

Chose CFE223 for my first batch of testers. I've got loads starting a 25.5gr and working all the way up to 27.5gr in .25gr increments. Going off of Sierra 63gr data 26.4 is max so I will work my way up to the hot testers once the lower have come out safe.

The range finally opened up today after being shut down for rifle season.

The higher loads of CFE223 seemed to start tightening up the groups. 27.24gr must have been a fluke but ended up as a one hole group and 27.5 was a half inch group. At 27.5 the 450 primers were just starting to flatten and show cratering, no ejector marks.

I've already got some more loaded up in that range to test out for the next time I can make it out, but it seems like a promising hunting load. I would be interested in figuring out the velocity.

Some times CFE223 gets hotter as it cools off. Ive only seen it in a few rifles but its happened. So just keep an eye on that.
I loaded 65gr SGK with Tac and killed a fair amount of hogs with it. Great bullet!

Got back from the range again today. Those 65 gamekings are shooting great, loaded at 27.4gr I was getting .5-.75moa groups, considering my 1-4x VXR's reticle covers over a moa at its center, I can't expect anything better.

And on another positive note I got some 53gr vmaxs shooting .75moa with benchmark. I wasn't finding good groups with benchmark using the CCI400 primers, I switched to the 450's for the 53's and the 65's and I won't be going back to the 400's.

I'm constantly surprised what these BHW barrels will take, I couldn't fit enough benchmark in the case to get any sort of pressure warnings. 26gr of benchmark was listed max, at 27gr I had to force the vmax into the case for an OAL of 2.25" then using a lee die to crimp it in place. I was getting good results at 26.5gr.

I wish I had a crony for these loads but I know a group of long range guys that open up their range to the public in a few weeks because most of the rest of the clubs hibernate for the winter. I should be able to get drops out to 500 yards for some velocity estimations.

Thats great Rock Knocker. I camt speak of the 65gr pills yet as my barrels (1:12 twist) are likely too slow. BUT, Benchmark and the 53gr Vmax are a match made in heaven. Three of my four .223 rifles shoot this combo VERY WELL with excellent velocities. And like your experience, the CCI 450s made them a pinch better.
I havent made time to start testing the fourth rifle. It will get done though.

Last edited:
Back