Choose... Hornady 25 gr V-MAX or 25 gr HP for 17 Fireball for Coyotes

huntschool

Which would you choose if both were driven at about 3750, 25 gr V-MAX or 25 gr HP both Hornady..... This is for coyotes under 250 yds.

I am "goofing" around with loads and yes, I know about Chan's bullets so comments there are also welcome.

Last edited:
I've never used either, so...

But the Vmax just ain't a coyote bullet in my mind. Verses, lots of guys have reported good success with the Hornady HP for a lot of years.

Not even a decision to be made there for me.

Like I said though, I haven't used either.

- DAA

25g Hollow points for sure.

I load the 25g Hornady HPs, and a couple years ago I was out calling with my .17FB and had a yote that wouldn't come closer than 300 yards. I put the crosshairs on her chest (facing frontal shot) and let it rip. I really didn't want to take that far of a shot with the .17FB but I took what was given to me. She stumbled backwards upon impact and ran about 15 yards and fell over. I was impressed to say the least

Not a Fireball owner, but with less velocity, I'd still take the 25 HP, for sure.
I've shot several PDs with the 20 VMax from my 17 Remington that tipped them over, but close examination showed an entrance, no exit and no visible injury other than an entrance hole.
Yes, I agree. That sounds crazy, but maybe I caught some Wyoming Super PDs with the VMax.
The 25 HP, different story. Typical and predictable violent expansion and target reaction.
Because of that experience, I've declined to try the 20 VMax on a coyote.

Last edited:
I use the 25gr HP on my 17 Remington and have been happy with it. Better penetration for coyotes, but is still fur friendly on foxes and bobcats.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: reddog964Depends on what your going to shoot with them!

"This is for coyotes under 250 yds"

Lol... I just has surgery on both eyes this last month, guess they didn't do a very good job because it appears I'm still blind
wink.gif

Guess he will have to shoot the 25gr HP then...

Back