Camping cot recommendation?

Matlock

Looking for a good cot that won't break after three uses. I don't need the Rolls-Royce, more like the Toyota. Cabela's has some deals coming up around Black Friday on their brand stuff and I'm sure there will be others. Please share any thoughts/recommendations, thanks.

Thanks, DesertRam. How tall are you? Looks like the one you are recommending is a hair over 6' for sleeping length. I'm 6' so I'm wondering if this may be a bit short feeling.

Matlock...I do wildfire support and typically don't use a cot, just too big to take on a plane and such. If the supply folks get cots in I might check one out, but usually use a Klymit Static V air mattress and recently upgraded to a Klymit Static V Luxe (longer and wider). The air mattress on the cot is great! If I were always traveling in my own vehicle I would definitely have a cot, like the one already recommended. When on a fire I use a mummy bag rated to zero, when at hunting camp I use one of these...http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/TETON-Sports-Celsius-XXL-0-degree-Sleeping-Bag/productDetail/Rectangular-Sleeping-Bags/prod999901360733/cat100842. Much more comfortable than a mummy bag and have never gotten cold, they have others rated for colder if needed. It's nearing sale season, watch the ads and you should be able to get what you want, or a step up, with some savings. Either way, nothing beats a comfortable, warm nights sleep.

I use the Cabelas Outfitter Extreme. I got to needing one, but I'd broke my back a few years ago, so I made sure not to get skimpy. Whenever we have a house full of guests it is always an argument on who gets my bedroll and cot. This cot is big, firm and comfortable. I can't recommend it enough.

Tex

I don't like the army style cots. They are comfy, but a royal PITA to deploy and break down and pack every night and every morning.

The simple one fold, spring style are way, way easier to use and about as comfortable. The pad makes more difference than the cot, usually.

But, anyway, I use them a lot. Average between 50 and 60 nights a year camping and almost all of those in my cot, either under the stars or inside the tent. I've worn out half a dozen of these inexpensive, single fold, spring style cots. But the one I have now, was $50 at Walmart, it's Coleman brand. It's getting about ready for replacement but it has lasted about five years. I'll get another one just like it. The frame is steel, not aluminum like the ones I was wearing out more quickly.

It's this one: Coleman cot.

Looks like the price has gone up some on them... And I use a much better pad than the one that comes with it, too. Started out as a Cabelas deluxe cot pad, and was great for a lot of years, it lasted through several cots. But it got soaked in coyote spooge too many times riding in the back of the truck and was getting pretty ripe. So I replaced the 3" foam inside it with much higher quality, heavier, denser foam. It's a NICE pad now, although it still doesn't look that great with all the coyote blood stains on the cover. Comfy and great insulation though.

- DAA

One thing I might add... If you intend on using it in a tent, make sure the one you get will fit in the tent you intend to use it in
laugh.gif

I have a big Slumberjack cot I bought a million years ago. About 7' long. Really nice and comfy with a bunch of padding on it. Fits in my big Springbar no problem but doesn't come close to fitting in the small Springbar I usually use.

Of course, in fair weather, I just put out the cot without a tent.

- DAA

Something to think about low cots and and air mattresses take up the same floor space in a tent as a regular tall cot. I use tall cots and pack my gear in boxes that will fit under the cot openning a lot of floor space in the tent. I've found that in expensive coolers are the perfect height(15") and depth to fit under a cot and pack all my clothes in them. I just have to slide it out and get my clothes for the day. It also makes a good place to store food stuffs, even my dry goods go in a cooler, keeps the mice out and just drag them out to sit on. At the end of the hunt load you clothes in bags to throw in the truck and you have plenty of cooler space for game meat. Or like me stop at a Costco in a cheap liquer state and stock up on scotch.

Flat 2x4's with holes drilled in them for the feet will keep the feet from sinking into the ground and possibly punching a hole in the ground.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWS
Flat 2x4's with holes drilled in them for the feet will keep the feet from sinking into the ground and possibly punching a hole in the ground.

That's a good point.

When I used the army style cots I always had some wood to put under the legs to save the tent floor.

With the type I use now, the legs don't pose a threat to the floor.

I like regular height cots too, just for sitting up in to get dressed in the morning.

I only rarely "camp" in the sense that I leave things setup and return to it. 95% of my camping is just stopping at dark and putting up the tent (or just throwing out the cot, in fair weather), making dinner, then taking it all down and getting it packed in the rig again before daylight to move on again and camp wherever I end up that night. If I spend fifty nights in a year camping, I probably setup and took camp down 48 times.

So storage and floor space are not too important. But, even still, with two cots in a small tent, being able to put our boots and clothes underneath them is very helpful. And, like I said, just being able to swing my legs over and sit up without any contortions is helpful on a frosty morning.

- DAA

I spent three year living in a tent in northern WI and spent many weeks running traplines out of a tent. I've since set up a van to hunt out, small comercial ford van with positraction, solar panel and small propane furnace. Camping in a tent in the PNW is tough, I'd rather spend a week of subzero temps in a tent than a week of pouring rain. Even the van is set up so I can get coolers under the bunk, I can get six coolers in with out taking any of the floor space. When a couple of us get together we set up a cook tentwith enough room for one guy to sleep a table and portable kitchen.

With the van I never have to set up a tent just crawl in the back and turn up the thermostat, city streets, grocery store parking lots way back on BLM, just spent three weeks this summer camping in a retirement home parking lot visiting my mom.

MT bird hunting in 2013

Last edited:
I just use one of these

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/pads/self-inflating-air-pads/comfort-air-pad. I get the comfort xl model.

I only use a cot if I am spending multiple days in one spot, which is actually very rare for me. This pad is about as comfortable as my own bed. A cot takes up too much room in the truck for me. Warning do not use this pad on the ground without something under it. I keep all my stuff in a giant cabelas dry bag. That way coyote spooge can leak wherever and my pad and other stuff stays fine. It also can just be outside when I am camping. I use a small dome tent mostly. If I spend multiple days in one place I do setup my kodiak tent and outfitter cot, but it's not anymore comfortable than the pad by itself. Just nicer for organization only. Coyote spooge can be a problem it normally ends up all over, my pants, cooler, dry bag etc. at the end of he day I suppose I am lucky to just not have ended up eating or drinking any of it inadvertently.

Last edited:
Coyote, a dead one, dripped a big spot of blood right on top of my freshly made sandwich about a month ago. Right in the middle of the bread. I pinched out that piece of bread, about a fifty cent piece, and ate my sandwich.

Not that I haven't inadvertently ingested coyote spooge before though...

- DAA

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiQuote:coyote spooge

I guess that is a technical term.
smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Some great feedback on here, thanks everyone.

Back