Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness vs Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather

RBO11

Anyone have any experiences with these two rifles? I can't decide which one to go with.

I have both Vanguards and the newer Model 70's. I like both. Vanguards tend to be a little more accurate consistently, but for a MO deer rifle, I don't need benchrest accuracy, just consistent accuracy.

I really like how solid both of these rifles actions are, which is why I narrowed it down to these two.

I don't have any experience with weatherbys or their customer service. I have had however, had a lot of experience with browning/winchester c.s. and it blows!! If you get a winner, like my buddy's- bolt that shoots lights out....that's awesome. If, on the other hand, you have problems that you want resolved, good luck. I just traded my 2 browning rifles for a Tikka. I like everything about it but the stock design. It kicks like a Missouri mule.

I have had Weatherbys, Vanguards, and Winchester 70 Featherlite.
Could not sell the Vanguard so gave it away.
Traded the Weatherby MKV straight for two new Tikka's at the gun shop. Tiika's are great with much better accuracy.
Traded the Winchester on a new Sauer rifle. The Winchester was ok but the Sauer is fabulous. Have not had a new company Winchester.

Can't comment on the Winchester, but have owned 4 Vanguards. The most recent being a Wilderness in the 240 Weatherby chambering. Every one has been an easy sub moa shooter. One of them was a 257 Weatherby. I literally bought the gun, had the gun shop mount and bore sight the scope and then sat down at the range with a box of factory ammo. First 3 shots out of the gun went .63 inches!! My Wilderness 240 has been much the same.

In addition to the incredible accuracy of the Vanguard, the fit, finish, quality and balance is amazing for a gun at this price point.
Especially the Wilderness. Just nothing I can I really say bad about the gun, other than the standard model is a little on the heavy side.

I haven't had to deal with Weatherby customer service, so can't comment either way. They do have the reputation for being outstanding to work with.

Good luck with your decision. I think you'd be very happy with a Vanguard Wilderness.

Thanks Mojo. I was looking for someone that had actually used that rifle.

I've looked at Tikka, but I want this rifle to be a short action, and it weirdly bothers me Tikka only has one action length. I don't mind a Tikka if I'm looking long action. Just a mental thing.

Last edited:
Back