Keep .17 hmr or get .17 wsm?

000shock

Pretty self explainitory question in the subject i believe.

Ive got a savage 93r17 btvss with a bsa sweet 17 6-18x40 scope. I really like shooting it, but after having it in the pdog fields id like to have a bit more range with a rimfire round still. And the ability to shoot 25 grain pills would be nice also against the wind. If i were to go to the wsm, id probably get a bmag heavy bbl in the laminate stock. Seems to be about a lateral as far as value goes, just bumping up the energy and velocity a bit. Cost of ammo is maybe $1 per 50 rnds difference around here so im not worried about that. Getting used for varmints and target shooting is all really. If i get a really pretty (100 yard) shot on a coyote or bobcat id prob take it also, but not the intent for this rifle.

Just wanted some opinions to sway me one way or the other. Thanks guys!

I've got both, though my Bmag is the plain Jane synthetic. Given the choice, I shoot the 93 for prairie dogs and would on fox/cat too. I hate the Bmag. If Savage had scaled up the 93 for the WSM, or built anything besides the Bmag, I'd vote for the WSM because it's a great cartridge.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Suppose for the most part its just a matter of what i can sell my hmr for. Its got maybe 300 rnds thru it and been well taken care of. Minor nick in the stock that prob wouldnt be noticed if i didnt say anything even. Along with 3 mags and 100+ rounds what do you think a reasonable price would be? Located in west nodak if that makes much of a difference.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI've got both, though my Bmag is the plain Jane synthetic. Given the choice, I shoot the 93 for prairie dogs and would on fox/cat too. I hate the Bmag. If Savage had scaled up the 93 for the WSM, or built anything besides the Bmag, I'd vote for the WSM because it's a great cartridge. Part of me really hates the bolt on the bmag, but other than that it seems pretty decent for a short to med range rig. Its not even the cock on lock that i dont like, its the fact that the bolt can be rotated down when open. The couple ive fondled have had slight scarring where the bolt handle hit the stock from trying to cycle too fast. Something that anyone can adapt to im sure, just takes time with the weapon. I really like the 8 rnd rotery mag vs single stack 5 rnder also.

Having that synthetic bmag, other than not really liking it, how is the accuracy with it? Standard or heavy bbl?

Keep the input commin guys. Much appriciated!

Everyone will have their own idea about it. Personally, I wouldn't let go of my 17 HMR CZ for anything. It's super accurate and a great groundhog rifle. My thoughts are to keep the HMR and then purchase the WSM. That way you will have the best of both for any occasion.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Everyone will have their own idea about it. Personally, I wouldn't let go of my 17 HMR CZ for anything. It's super accurate and a great groundhog rifle. My thoughts are to keep the HMR and then purchase the WSM. That way you will have the best of both for any occasion. I wish funding allowed this. If i wasnt planning for a 6.5 cm or 243 for a coyote/deer rifle, i would consider that option a lot more. I just simply cant afford both outright, and the 17 is more of a play rifle than business for me!
My hmr also has great accuracy though. Never sat down and shot groups at 100 other than to zero (right at 1 moa), but i was shooting the heads off of 16 penny nails at about 75 reliably one day. Pretty happy with that.

On another note, looking at my lgs today i noticed that all of the wsm ammo was vmax or other btip bullet. I do like having the option of a gmx or fmj bullet if i decide i dont want quite the mess the vmax leaves (keeping fur for example). I think a 25 grain gmx would be awesome for larger varmints or smaller predators.

Originally Posted By: cmateraDefinitely WSM. Buy a Savage BMag HB SS in a laminated stock, with a K (or higher) letter in the S/N prefix. What did savage change after that serial? Ive read the accuracy probs, as im sure anyone considering the bmag has, but looks like most ppl fixed it with an aftermarket stock. I figured a bmag in a factory boyds shouldnt have the same probs as the synthetic. I also wondered if the synthetic stock could just be sanded a bit in the barrol channel to ensure its completely floated.

I was wanting the same only without the thumbhole stock. Great to shoot but akward using the safety with your thumb blocked. I think it only comes with a blued bbl though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 000shock My hmr also has great accuracy though. Never sat down and shot groups at 100 other than to zero (right at 1 moa), but i was shooting the heads off of 16 penny nails at about 75 reliably one day. Pretty happy with that.

That right there would decide it for me. Also, HMR ammo is pretty easy to find in various makes and bullet designs. And as you mentioned, the rim fires are mainly for play so it's not that you really have to have the fastest round available, though the HMR is no slouch. I can't imagine myself not having at least one HMR (I have two). Just my thoughts.

I've got a B mag shoots good and I like it. But putting up again the best crow cartridge ever made? It's the HMR fore all the way! HMR is a better round!

Originally Posted By: 000shockHaving that synthetic bmag, other than not really liking it, how is the accuracy with it? Standard or heavy bbl?

Synthetic stock, standard barrel, older production.

To be perfectly honest, I dislike shooting it so much that I haven't taken the time or spent the money on ammo to put it on paper to shoot groups, so I can't really say. I shot it just enough to get it close, then tweaked it a bit more killing prairie dogs with it. Now I grudgingly pull it out sometimes for more that. The stock is junk, the action feels like it's full of dirt, the magazine is nearly worthless, even the Accutrigger on mine is screwed up and gritty with a "catch" in it. If it wasn't so deadly on prairie dogs I wouldn't even bother (and that's the cartridge, not the rifle). I understand the newer ones with heavy barrel and laminate stock are better, but Savage won't convince me to spend the money on one to find out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marcoI don't think we are taking who makes the best rifle! I think it's about which is the best cartridge! I guess both actually was my intent even though i didnt ask about rifle models. Im happy with savage as a company. Only discrepancy ive had has been a defective mag and the only question i got was what was my address. Two days later i had a new mag in the mailbox. Reason i brought up the bmag is because it seems to be the most popular, or maybe just best marketed, offering within my budget (basically what i can sell my HMR for!). If theres any other offerings similarly priced im all ears!

PO ackley once said that his 17 Hornet was the best balanced of all the 17 cartridges! And I think if he was alive today he would say that the Hornady 17 HMR was the most well balanced of any the high velocity rimfire cartridges!

Originally Posted By: marcoPO ackley once said that his 17 Hornet was the best balanced of all the 17 cartridges! And I think if he was alive today he would say that the Hornady 17 HMR was the most well balanced of any the high velocity rimfire cartridges! Very fair point. If there wasnt some game in nd you were required to hunt with rimfire, and hornet rounds were cheaper, i would be looking at the 17 hornet instead of the wsm. I kinda feel like having a 204R defeats the purpose of any rounds in between those two (fireball, remington). Its a great rounds also, but since im not reloading yet, $1+ each trigger pull adds up quick. IIRC the hornet is right along there also cost wise.

If you got 5 identical rifles an scopes tested the 22lr high velocity ammo 17 m2 22 mag 5mm mag HMR an 17 Wsm and test the ammo every way you could I think the 17 HMR would come out on top! Expansion reliability accuracy

Newbie here to the forum but I owned the Savage 17WSM. Worst gun I’ve ever owned. Plenty of issues with the bolt and it not wanting to eject cartridges. When it did it work it was a devastating little round but very bad experience. Not a fan of savage now, I know I shouldn’t base it off of that gun but...

I had to do a little work to my B mag now it shoots good. Yes it hits hard. But if you can't hit what your shooting at what's the point! The WSM reminds me to much of the 5mm Remington. You know only one company making the ammo an all.

My father has a Ruger 17wsm and that thing flat out shoots. Impressive when no adjustments are needed and no holdover is needed to bust clay pigeons at 100-300 yards.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.Hunterno holdover is needed to bust clay pigeons at 100-300 yards.

dang. the drop from 100 to 300 yards is pretty drastic with mine. i must of got a bad one.

Back