Best scope for the AR long range shooting?

Got a buddy who nailed 3 cottontails at 700-730 in 6 or 7 shots last coyote season off a ravine edge. Specs for the shots were--

1) 26" 8T-barrelled Rock River (I'm pretty sure)-77 gr. TMK and 75 A-Max/VLD magazine.
2) Leupold 6.5-20 VX-III Varmint Hunter's reticle for coyotes to it's limit then turreted. Turrets solely for 400ish+ yd. smaller varmints.
3) I-Ballistics program on cell phone/loads compensated for atmospherics.

I'd think any repeatable target turret system 6.5-20ish-type optic oughtta work just fine with some trigger time. Hoping to do the same with my 9T 223 AI AR/73 gr. ELD-M's/VLD magazine this coyote season on smaller varmints.

Had a Nightforce on my AR for a couple of years. Took it off and went with a Mark AR 4-12. Liked it so much I now have one on my .17 HMR and another on my .22 lr. FWIW, the folks at Leupold told me the Mark AR is based off of a VX-2. Plenty of scope for my needs.

2-7 leupolds and have shot a coyote at 181 yards while on 2 power.. I myself don't see the need for more power and would feel very confident out to 400 yards+.. Shooting that far IMO would require a solid rest not so much a higher power scope at least on coyote size animals.. Dan

I have a mark ar 3x9 on a 556 and love it for reasons stated above. Dials dead on and early for the ranges you stated.

Lots of other scopes on other ARs but for "long" shots with a 556 the mark at is hard to beat AND a great price.

Originally Posted By: JB55Before you spend that kind of money, try one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=746570
They are 1/5 the price and 6.5 X 20. I have two and they are great scopes. Read the reviews. If you have doubts, look through it without mounting it and if you don't like it, you can return it. I know it is a Simmons and I had a tough time getting past that, until I looked through one. You won't be sorry.

while I will agree on its a decent scope for the money. I had one for a couple years on my prairie dog rig but gave it to a buddy. anything over 14x and the eye box sucked it was very picky. clarity was good but crosshairs are too thick for precision shooting in my view. and its a huge scope didn't bother me but some don't like them that big on an AR.

I switched to a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 and WOW what a difference. leupold all the way IMHO way better eye box and eye relief and clarity is way better too. it is also a little big but way better quality. save your self the time and money and just buy a quality scope in the first place. it took me a while to figure out the buy once cry once thing but I learned my lesson.

simmons:

8IKIlSFl.jpg

leupold same rifle different handguard and stock and I bead blasted the barrel:

MYhltZe.jpg

and just for the heck of it, there was an in-between scope a Mueller 8-32x44 target dot that was on par with the Simmons. it had a bit better clarity and way better eye box. sold it on eBay though.

ym2iD6xl.jpg

Last edited:
Nikon P-223 4-12×40 BDC 600 Rifle scope is a good option for long range shooting. another good choice is Bushnell AR Optics FFP Illuminated BTR

Back