1st Auodad!

erikc838

So this started out as a deer hunt and changed pretty quick. 1 hour in to the hunt, my buddy and I decide to hike about 50 yards up a small trail to get a better look at another canyon. When we did, there were about 50 sheep off to our left and pretty far up the hill on the other side of the canyon we were currently in. We watch them for quite awhile and they came no closer than about 550 yards. The wind is howling pretty good in this canyon and we have difficulty trying to find the big one.

Eventually they drop out of sight, in to a low spot. We change positions and gradually start working our way further up the hill and to the east until we spot them again. In the shadow of the mountain, we climb up the rock face about 35 yards and come out in to this beautiful flat area about 10 foot around. We are now dead level with them at about 450 yards. This was as good as it was going to get, as it would have taken us the better part of an hour to try and get any closer.

The bipod locks open and I get all adjusted. The wind is in our face and they have no idea we are there (or don't think we are a threat). We finally pick out the big one of the group. I hold over (between the 2nd and 3rd hash, shade his left edge a bit and crack the shot. The fur moves in the middle of his body right below the shoulder. He stays perfectly still, while the others scurry off about 40 yards or so. Still nothing from him, it was like he was frozen. Over the course of the next 5 minutes or so, the others moved on and he stayed put. Every now and then he would attempt to move but you could tell something wasn't right. Then he just lays down and we think that he is down for good. My buddy decides that we should stay put a few moments longer. Right before we decide to get up to start the long hike to him, we decide to glass him one more time. In between two cactus, we see his head and he is looking around (still laying on the ground).

I let another round fly, striking him right between the eyes. Lights out. No telling how long the first one would have taken. He measured right at 27 inches.

Weatherby Backcountry chambered in 240 Weatherby Mag. Handloaded 90 grain Accubond (3491 ft/s).

Silencerco Harvester 30

Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 RZ8 reticle

Shooting position

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

It did and didn't hold up. After going through the first shoulder, it started to come apart and finished coming apart when it hit (and broke) the shoulder on the other side. There were pieces of bullet everywhere. It did do the job though and held together to get to what it needed to.

Last edited:
You let him stand frozen for five minutes and didnt shoot him again. Did you have to reload that case with a lee loader? Needless pain, No Cigar.

Nice ram, congratulations. They are a cool animal. I was able to take one in January 2017 on a west Texas hunt. I'm working on my skull mount now, almost have it ready. I shot mine with my old Remington 700 6.5mm Remington Magnum, handloaded 140 grain Nosler Partition, 90 yards, DRN.

Back