Nov.10th pair

Snowshoes

With Remembrance/Veterans day being Saturday this year we took Friday off work in lieu of Saturday. I drove 2 miles west and a half mile south of home where I parked the truck on the east side of a big hill. From there a walk of a quarter mile west to a fence line on the opposite side of the hill. Set up with a good view of a fair sized bush patch and one very large slough bottom. A quick scan of the fields with the binoculars picks out two coyotes roughly 600 yards out. I send some howls their direction but all I get is a glance and no more. Switch to my Sceery Cottontail distress and the results are no different. The two eventually are gone from view and now I’m back looking for others. See another coyote cutting across the field almost a half mile to the north but this one has a destination in mind and can’t be detoured by my calling efforts.
Now my thoughts are, where I should head next but before packing up, a coyote comes into the field and is mousing to the southwest of me. Tried some calling but it too could care less so I decided to try and do a stalk on it. Packed up and used the bush patch to cover my approach. Carefully worked my way around the edge of the trees with hopes of seeing the coyote but that wasn’t to be. Not sure where it went but it sure wasn’t anywhere close. Start walking back the direction of the truck and see a coyote coming down the hill not too far from where I had set up. I’m stuck in open with no cover close by, so my only option was to sit down where I was at. The coyote stopped dead in its tracks when I sat down but what it did next was not what I expected. Instead of running away it was on a fast trot towards me. Not wanting it to get downwind, I let it come as close as I dare before vocal barking to stop it. Never ranged the shot but it would have been under 150 yards. A case of “curiosity that killed the coyote”!

A half an hour later I had the coyote loaded in the truck and was heading a mile and half east to try some calling. Parked the truck and walked 30 yards south, crossed a fence and hadn’t walked more than 40 yards west when I notice a brown object at the edge of the trees. The binoculars reveal a coyote curled up having a snooze. I move along on my knees to a spot where I can get a clear shot and get the rifle lined up. Some lip squeaks and the coyotes head pops up for a look, cross hairs are placed below the ears and a
60 yard shot does the trick. The picture of the second coyote was taken from the rear end as his face was a tad messed up.

Never did call that spot but likely will head there this evening.

Another day another double.

Keep on droppin that fur.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWTG SS. You sure do have some nice area to hunt. Congrats
The landscape does vary enough within a few short miles to make it interesting.

Originally Posted By: titch--Another day another double.

Keep on droppin that fur.
smile.gif

Had a lucky day yesterday getting the pair. Today was a very foggy and calling wasn't productive. Did 4 stands without calling anything in but a few birds. Did see a coyote on the walk into the last stand but I was unable to get a shot off.

I've tossed 2 of the 12. Not bad looking coyotes right now but that will likely change
as we get further into winter

Originally Posted By: cparphWish we had that kind of population in our area! Nice job

Certain areas around here do have a healthy population of coyotes but you can go a couple miles and might be hard pressed to see a track. I like hunting the areas where I see lots, makes my odds better
smile.gif
Most of those spots require a fair bit of walking and that seems to eliminate most of the other "local coyote hunters"
smile.gif

Back